GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone do a DIY Top Engine Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 10:02 PM
uncandid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone do a DIY Top Engine Cleaning?

Anyone try anything like this? I'm not talking about in the gas tank, in the oil or through a vacuum line, but more of a remove the spark plugs, pour in some cleaner? If so, please let me know your process and what products you used. Thanks
Old 07-11-12, 04:25 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove spark plugs, and pour cleaner into the combustion chamber?
Where would this cleaner go then?
How would it be removed?

Get some BG44K, follow the instructions, and use their engine flush when changing the oil next time.
Throttle body & Intake cleaner too, if you want to clean the body and plate.
Old 07-11-12, 06:42 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by uncandid
Anyone try anything like this? I'm not talking about in the gas tank, in the oil or through a vacuum line, but more of a remove the spark plugs, pour in some cleaner? If so, please let me know your process and what products you used. Thanks

I have never heard of this nor would I ever do it. These cars, with proper maintenance and routine oil changes should never require something like this. I would only foresee something like this when getting up over 250k on the clock. With that said, many have used sea foam between oil changes with good success in order to prevent a major 'cleaning' .
Old 07-11-12, 07:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i prefer maple syrup down my spark plugs personally.
Old 07-11-12, 08:52 AM
uncandid
Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
HAHA, love maple syrup.

Thanks guys, I had heard some people do this on their cars and thought it was nuts and wanted to see if it was actually ever done on our cars. Thanks
Old 07-11-12, 09:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i wouldnt pour anything down there. through the intake, throttle body and vacuum line should be enough to clean out whatever carb build up is in there
Old 07-11-12, 04:48 PM
TeeNastie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!
Old 07-12-12, 12:21 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

i wouldnt pour anything down there. through the intake, throttle body and vacuum line should be enough to clean out whatever carb build up is in there
Very much agreed.

I'd say seafoam between oil changes, if you're still in the early stages of your engine.[To OP] You talking about pouring stuff into the gas tank was right on the money, it leads towards the combustion chamber anyways.
Old 07-12-12, 12:23 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

never heard of such a thing, originally thoguht u were talking about cleaning your engine bay
Old 07-12-12, 07:02 AM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
never heard of such a thing, originally thoguht u were talking about cleaning your engine bay
Sadly this practice is ALL too common at Cadillac dealers, and they have a technique where they pour a seafoam like engine cleaner into the cylinders to help de-carbon the rings and valves on Cadillac NorthStar engines that burn oil (and they all do). Then they have a special tool that they use to suck out the cleaner after a certain amount of time once it has done its thing, but before it evaporates.

All of this, even when done by a dealer, using factory directions, is very risky since it doesn't take much fluid in the cylinder chamber to hydro-lock an engine and have the whole thing go "BANG"

This is NOT recommended or even required for any Lexus/Toyota motor, and even if it was it is not a DIY project... needs very special tools, perfect timing, and has considerable down sides.
Old 07-12-12, 09:29 AM
uncandid
Driver

Wasn't there a TSB process for the top engine cleaning they had a while back? Anyone know what that consisted of or how that was done?
Old 07-12-12, 08:19 PM
XxGoKoUxX

seafoam in the gas tank if you're really **** about it..... It really works, OR you can just run techron for the next few gas tanks (do this before changing out spark plugs, as i've heard techron in a large amount kills spark plugs).... You'll probably get very low MPG for the next few tanks, but i'm most positive that should get rid of carbon build-up.
Old 07-12-12, 09:53 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uncandid
Wasn't there a TSB process for the top engine cleaning they had a while back? Anyone know what that consisted of or how that was done?
they do this to IS250 at Lexus Dealer.
Old 07-12-12, 10:24 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
seafoam in the gas tank if you're really **** about it..... It really works, OR you can just run techron for the next few gas tanks (do this before changing out spark plugs, as i've heard techron in a large amount kills spark plugs).... You'll probably get very low MPG for the next few tanks, but i'm most positive that should get rid of carbon build-up.
Low mpg with Techron or Seafoam?
If anything, using BG 44K as recommended on the bottle, you'll notice an improvement in mpg and general running within 50 miles or so.
Follow it through, and stick with Chevron, with a bottle of BG CF5 every other (or third if using Chevron mainly) tankful.
Old 07-13-12, 07:08 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Techron giving you horrible MPGs, not the seafoam. I'm use to 22-23mpg, when I used techron, i'd be lucky to get away with 18mpg! One oil change I managed to get like 16 or 14 and i stopped messing aroud and got back to the 18-19 luckily before my next fill-up. But that's just my case (without techron, i've never managed to get below 17mpg puttin my foot down ever light). I use the biggest bottle of techron btw, it's for SUV/trucks, made to treat up to 35 gallons or something? The little bottle i think only takes care of up to 12 gallons or something.... hahaha

Quick Reply: Anyone do a DIY Top Engine Cleaning?