GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Gas question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 09:37 AM
hughh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Gas is different from station to station, not brand to brand. Each station from my experience.... has different quality gases. Try to branch out and go for the better gas in your area. I use to use sams club gas (because it was 5-10c cheaper). Calculate that out to 16 gallons (average for every user i say?). That's a $1.60 for a better quality gas that I get elsewhere.... I tell my family, "Why skimp out on gas, when it's only a $1.50 difference between the quality".
How can you determine the quality at each station? In my looong (76 yrs old) experience, the best way to avoid bad gas is by avoiding to fill-up anytime you see the gas truck at or near a station. Of course, I only have anecdotal "proof" to go about it.
Old 07-29-12, 09:02 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hughh
How can you determine the quality at each station? In my looong (76 yrs old) experience, the best way to avoid bad gas is by avoiding to fill-up anytime you see the gas truck at or near a station. Of course, I only have anecdotal "proof" to go about it.
I'm with you. Assuming refining of gas is the same day after day, the only logical reason gas may be bad from one station to the next is contamination below ground (i.e. deteriorated tank lining, water intrusion, etc.).
Old 07-30-12, 01:28 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Nope! I have used regular on my '98 without any problem. Modern day cars have knock sensors built into their electronic ignition systems. This allows them to use low octane without any problems.
Prior to my Lexus was a BMW 330i...no problems. BTW - My local BMW dealer was using low octane in all new cars.

The penalty is usually a small amount of degradation in power/mpg. For everyday driving, it will generally be unnoticed. If you are planning to take the car to the track, then by all means, use the highest octane you can find and have a ball.
I had a BWM 328i and I tried using lower octane with the same feeling as you. I switched to premium (as recommended) and noticed 2-3/mpg improvement plus better throttle response. You can do it but your car will run better with the recommended gas.
Old 07-30-12, 02:47 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patricksr5
I had a BWM 328i and I tried using lower octane with the same feeling as you. I switched to premium (as recommended) and noticed 2-3/mpg improvement plus better throttle response. You can do it but your car will run better with the recommended gas.
Years ago, Car&Driver used to have a weekly TV show. One of those segments pitted a Porsche 911 Turbo vs. a max engine Camaro. The purpose was to find out which car would lose more by using low octane instead of high octane as "required" by the manufacturers. After checking out the hp of each car on a tread mill, they completely emptied the gas tank, refilled with low octane, and did it again. The Camaro lost the most, around 6 hp. The Porsche only los around 2 1/2 hp. On the economy run, the story was the same, with Camaro losing more than Porsche. As far as response around town, they could not find any difference between the octanes.

End of story was they recommended for everyday driving, use the low octane and save some bucks.
If you belong to a club that tracks the cars, then look for the highest octane you can find on the way to the track.
Old 07-30-12, 07:19 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 GS300 does not run well on regular or mid grade so...I just keep feeding her hi test. I use Hess, costco and , sometimes Mobil or chevron. Every now and then, a tank f liberty but I am to a liberty fan.
Old 07-30-12, 08:26 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
My 06 GS300 does not run well on regular or mid grade so...I just keep feeding her hi test. I use Hess, costco and , sometimes Mobil or chevron. Every now and then, a tank f liberty but I am to a liberty fan.
Needs a tune-up!