GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Official Lexus GS Oil Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 12:27 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Official Lexus GS Oil Thread

So, I've been experimenting with oils, and I think i've come with content with a specific oil I've chosen just recently. I'd love to throw together a thread for everyone to post up what they're using, how long they've used it, change intervals model and year of car, and your results pertaining to performance and MPG's.

I'll start with the specs for myself:

Model: GS430
Oil/weight: Redline 5w-20
Mileage so far: (~1k).
How long the product's been used in the car: 1 month.

Comments: I originally went with Mobil 1 5w-30, mileage? Honestly horrible, for the first 5000 miles, afterwards mileage bumped up to a good 22-24mpg's (Before it was 20-22mpg's during fillup, and it showed too!). I could get to a good 300-330 per fill-up each time.

I finally jumped the gun, and converted to Redline 5w-20, and the oil is absolutely AMAZING, it's a very high end oil that many many many many many users, not one complaint, has reccomended, and according to Lexus's oil chart, I was able to use 5w-20, so I jumped the gun. Combined this with Chevron's techron botle (I previously talked to Boron a few other CL members about this in another thread). I easily got 26 MPG's, After I refilled, I came to a steady 100-200 mile trip with 29 MPGs. Now i'm back to city driving (50 miles later) sitting at 24 MPGs. All in all, the car's been GREAT! I actually broke the 330 mile mark, and i've managed to get past the 360 mile mark, close to 400! (I had to fill up because wifey was complaining and thinking we'd never make it home on a quarter tank for the 200+mile trip). I'm pretty confident I would of made it home though

All in all, if you want to skip the above, mileage was great, i'm very very confident in the engine wear protection i'm getting, and I can get a full 10,000 miles before I even consider changing my oil, unlike my previous Mobil 1. Throttle response was MUCHO GUSTO better (talking about 1-2cm down on the gas and i'm accelerating a FAIR amount).

Redline Oil IMO is a VERY well reccomended oil by me, I chose 5w-20 because it was on the Lexus Oil-Okay list, it was lighter than 5w-20, and according to redline, the oil has protection standards EXTREMELY comparable to conventional 5w-30. Looking forward to testing out their 0w-20 when I get the chance, as that is comparable to the conventional 5w-20 standards of typical oils. I'd like to note I burn absolutely NO oil, so please don't attempt this if your car (as i've been trolling around lately) burns a lot of oil.

So I welcome everyone to state their opinions and consensus on what oil YOU use!
Old 07-29-12, 01:26 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting, I just changed mine out to 0w30 and noticed a slight improvement in my mileage but getting no where close to yours. I get an average of 21mpg with 50:50 highway:city. I used Amsoil Pi recently;y, that seemed to increase the gas mileage to 23 or so for that tank but haven't seen that since. I used Seafoam to clean out the engine, intake etc as well. I want to try the BG products intake cleaner before the next oil change to see if it makes a difference. The temperature has been over 90 degrees almost on a daily basis here so that is probably not helping mileage.. My 2nd gen GS300 I got almost the same gas mileage with the same 50:50 driving scenario, had 158000 miles on the motor and ran 0w30 in that as well. Changed oil every 10k miles.

Last edited by kuWuPt; 07-29-12 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-29-12, 05:05 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greats  i'll try it out on my next oil change !
Old 07-29-12, 01:59 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on M1 5w30.

Willing to try Castrol Edge or Eneos next.
Old 07-29-12, 06:32 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Mobil 1 5w30 extended life
Old 07-29-12, 08:07 PM
BGG
Pole Position

mobil 5w30.. Id never go 10k on an oil change.. I run a oil change facility and feel like smacking customers when they say "Set my sticker for 10,000 miles". Half of them are on conventional, however I would not go past 7500 on synthetic. I only go 5k.
Old 07-29-12, 08:58 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean to burst your 'oil' bubble, but unless your driving habits/route are identical using different brands or viscosity, your mpg comparisons are baseless. In other words (and trying to be polite), you've been inhaling fumes you should avoid.

Do four identical highway only runs (totalling 1,500 miles) using an entire tank of gas (same brand & octane) on the same day/time using brand 1 and then do the same using brand 2 (make sure tire pressure is the same upon a cold start). Then I'd say you have some scientific data that may carry 'weight' (pardon the pun).
Old 07-29-12, 09:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
Interesting, I just changed mine out to 0w30 and noticed a slight improvement in my mileage but getting no where close to yours. I get an average of 21mpg with 50:50 highway:city. I used Amsoil Pi recently;y, that seemed to increase the gas mileage to 23 or so for that tank but haven't seen that since. I used Seafoam to clean out the engine, intake etc as well. I want to try the BG products intake cleaner before the next oil change to see if it makes a difference. The temperature has been over 90 degrees almost on a daily basis here so that is probably not helping mileage.. My 2nd gen GS300 I got almost the same gas mileage with the same 50:50 driving scenario, had 158000 miles on the motor and ran 0w30 in that as well. Changed oil every 10k miles.
90F temps with you, so the A/C is on 90% of the time (I turn it off right before i hit the neighborhood in my house. What car are you currently on? GS300 also? If that's the case, the GS300 should get SUPER GOOD gas mileage.... I believe the GS430 gets better milage than the 350, don't quote me on that.... Probably because of the TQ values on the car, it gets a chance to pick up a bit easier, hence requiring less time in picking up.

Originally Posted by 3GS404
Greats  i'll try it out on my next oil change !
You should! Just remember that every oil requirement is different for every car, if you are in a GS300, I believe the weights can go as low as 0w-20 if you like, if you're a GS350, i'm unsure, if you're a GS430, I KNOW you can use 5w-20, i'm probably gonna step it down to 0w-20 to see how it feels. Also note that the lighter the weight, the more oil you will burn, therefore in return you'll have to check the dipstick a bit more often than usual, and if you're having those leaking issues like some of our members, well I'd rather you not try lighter weights.

Originally Posted by Simmsled
I'm on M1 5w30.

Willing to try Castrol Edge or Eneos next.
Please do and come back with results! Just don't post results within 1 change, give the oil 2 changes before you fully evaluate as you don't get rid of 100% of the M1 oil.

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
Mobil 1 5w30 extended life
lol.... I'm guessing GS350? I WAS on the M1 5w-30 and it's been a pain to use since day 1 (i've been using their oil since forever). Switching to Redline 5w-20 synthetic (not the racing weight, as that will harm and destroy your cats + o2 sensors). This stuff is BOMB! Trust me

Originally Posted by BGG
mobil 5w30.. Id never go 10k on an oil change.. I run a oil change facility and feel like smacking customers when they say "Set my sticker for 10,000 miles". Half of them are on conventional, however I would not go past 7500 on synthetic. I only go 5k.
Yeah, that's usually the case for most oils i've used, but I completely trust this product i'm using and I'm definitely gonna send in the analysis after 10k miles to blackstone and report back to you guys with results!

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Don't mean to burst your 'oil' bubble, but unless your driving habits/route are identical using different brands or viscosity, your mpg comparisons are baseless. In other words (and trying to be polite), you've been inhaling fumes you should avoid.

Do four identical highway only runs (totalling 1,500 miles) using an entire tank of gas (same brand & octane) on the same day/time using brand 1 and then do the same using brand 2 (make sure tire pressure is the same upon a cold start). Then I'd say you have some scientific data that may carry 'weight' (pardon the pun).
Heh, if that's what it requires to get your attention on my end, then by all means i'm up for the challenge! I have a week or two project on the car coming up so i'll report back. This is my results OUT OF THE BOX coming from M1 5w30.... Using the same fuel as I was all these years.... (except for my tampa trip back, I used some cheap gas station gas, lost a couple whole #s, but it's still excellent compared to 20-22). This is also off of a fresh oil change for the vehicle. When I did the same thing on my M1 5w-30, combined with the techron stuff, i yielded HORRIBLE results, about 16-17 if i'm not careful, and that first take was always 18, i came out to 26 this time around, then refilled.

Anywho, I'm here to discuss my experiences, not to get proven wrong

I will post up in a 2nd post a few pictures of what I have so far (75% city, 25% highway so far). On the way home tonight (city driving only), I've gone up in MPGs, just wasn't a huge difference (23.3mpg)
Old 07-29-12, 09:46 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Excuse the blurry pictures, i took this snap as quick as I can while still concentrating on the road.

As you can see, at a steady 70mph, i'm still able to grab 30MPG's on the meter without losing speed, same goes for 80, maybe 28 29mpg's instead though.... This is with A/C on. Gone through half my tank so I don't sound ridiculous about my claims, I can even take a picture after tank is completely depleted. I stepped on it A LOT, like full throttle to pick up on the highway and still get these #s. I've even accel'd a little harder than usual to get to optimal speeds, so I'd say 23 MPG is very forgiving. My driving habits other than today and yesterday (on this tank) has always been the same, driving home today I've gone back to my usual habits and it managed to pick up from 23 to 23.3 so far.

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 07-29-12 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 11:16 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
90F temps with you, so the A/C is on 90% of the time (I turn it off right before i hit the neighborhood in my house. What car are you currently on? GS300 also? If that's the case, the GS300 should get SUPER GOOD gas mileage.... I believe the GS430 gets better milage than the 350, don't quote me on that.... Probably because of the TQ values on the car, it gets a chance to pick up a bit easier, hence requiring less time in picking up.
AC is on 100% of the time I have a GS430. The 300 gets better gas mileage in city, but highway I believe the 430 will get better gas mileage. I had an LS460 for about 2 months and that gave me between 28 and 30 mpg on the highway, made it back from NY in just over a tank of gas. My IS350 gets better gas mileage than the 430, the weight of the car is a factor of course, never drove the GS350 to see which is better.
Old 07-30-12, 12:15 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
AC is on 100% of the time I have a GS430. The 300 gets better gas mileage in city, but highway I believe the 430 will get better gas mileage. I had an LS460 for about 2 months and that gave me between 28 and 30 mpg on the highway, made it back from NY in just over a tank of gas. My IS350 gets better gas mileage than the 430, the weight of the car is a factor of course, never drove the GS350 to see which is better.
Ahh, I gotcha buddy, do you get stuck in stop and go traffic? That usually KILLS my MPGs, but that's about the only thing... if it's normal traffic, i coast and get easily 24mpg, if I hit it a lot, well, 22-23 lol. Either way, if you're not afraid, give the Redline oil a try.... 0w-20 (once again, if you're not burning oil )
Old 07-30-12, 04:36 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BGG
To base oil change on the mileage parameter alone is pointless, but it's how we've been conditioned to think.
On one hand, 5K seems far too short, therefore a waste of still perfectly good serviceable oil.
On the other hand, 10K is what the manufacturer recommends in a 12 month period or less, and whilst it's easy to presume they want engine wear so as to keep the market ticking over with new and used cars, the mileage chosen has to be a safe level knowing some owners will exceed that mileage or timeframe.

That you run an oil change place is neither here nor there, but could be used against you, in that you've a vested interest in early replacement to sustain your turnover.
Personally, if I were in your position, I'd be contemplating contracting an oil analysis company (nearby for expediency) and offering it to customers for $5 over your contracted rate.
No real profit margin, more a service to prove the customers' oil was all but used up.

Then again, you may not know about TBN/TAN and viscosities, nor SAPS level for diesel engines fitted with DPFs.
If you want to satisfy your own curiosity, send a 7.5K used oil sample off, along with fresh oil of the same type, and have the oil analysed for comparison.
It'll show wear metails, viscosity change (still in grade or not) and TBN (reserve capacity for neutralising acidic combustion compounds), and even fuel dilution.
As well as engine condition, it'll give you a clear indication whether 7.5K miles was too much or only halfway to being fully depleted.
Of course, mileage is a factor depending on journey types - longish vs short hops, where the engine barely gets up to temperature.
Old 07-30-12, 04:40 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click for full size.

Rather than regurgitating the same info again, you can read this......http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...howtopic=78040
Old 07-30-12, 12:57 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

I use M1 5W30 Syn. My wife regularly averages 28-31mpg on her commute, but mine is a different story when I'm behind the wheel. 7500 mi is my change interval.
Old 07-31-12, 06:38 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX

lol.... I'm guessing GS350? I WAS on the M1 5w-30 and it's been a pain to use since day 1 (i've been using their oil since forever). Switching to Redline 5w-20 synthetic (not the racing weight, as that will harm and destroy your cats + o2 sensors). This stuff is BOMB! Trust me

yah 350...i use m1 "extended life" a little different than M1...no complaints and easily accessible at wallysworld...change it every 7500-8000 miles...but supposedly its rated for 15k miles

Quick Reply: Official Lexus GS Oil Thread