GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pinot Grigio

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 08:13 PM
xarnette15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinot Grigio

So the lower half of my dash (CD slot, tuner ****, tape deck, outlet) took on about half a glass of poorly placed pinot grigio. At first the tuner did not work, but everything else seemed to. Then the tuner went wild on scanning on FM and I lost CD function. Now I have access to everything but playing CDS in the dash. if I hit CD it does nothing and the screen directly navigates to the CD MP3 Player screen and says IPOD error.

I can use FM and scan fine. The CD eject and load buttons do nothing. When the audio button on the dash is pressed I have absolutely no option to reach the CDs in the dash.

Furthermore I've lost the control of all windows except the driver side. They worked at first, then one did and the rears didn't, now none. The windows work properly when using window switch on the given door. The windows do not go down when using the key fob, only the driver side door.

I have detached my battery each day for the past few days, at times for 8 hrs or more. Obviously things are fried....any suggestions aside from a trip to Lexus? Can they even scan and find out specifics of whats fried?

Thanks
Old 08-15-12, 09:39 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Okay, to directly tell you about your windows, you basically just reset them, so from scratch, you'll have to manually go to each window, press down for one second, and press up for 10+ seconds, move on from window to window.... for your sunroof, you'll have to (i believe, not 100% sure, you'll have to play with this) hold the open button or hold the close button so it does a full open and close. That will reprogram all your windows onto your driver side front. You did not damage your window switches or anything.

Onto your radio, basically what you did was the #1 thing against trying to remedy electronics. You definitely fried the radio so the only option is to either have someone repair it (still possible you could have put contacts together and blew internal fuses/diodes/resistors/capacitors) or purchase a new one. Ebay is a few thousand, I believe lexus is a bit more. Next time, if anything happens, whether it's your cell phone, your laptop, or your radio, INSTANTEOUSLY shut it off, remove the battery, and keep it shut off until the affected area is 10000000% dry. Only then will you have a REAL chance at the electronic device surviving.

P.S. you seem to have only damaged the bottom half, not completely sure either, but you might be lucky with purchasing the bottom half of the system has the top half is buttons and screen while the bottom half is dvd/tape deck only. If you've no luck PM me, and i'll do a bit more reading and try to get some sources out there to find you the part.
Old 08-16-12, 09:14 AM
xarnette15
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip on the windows, I'll try it out. Sunroof never failed. Also thanks for the tip on electronics. I believe you're correct on the lower half of the unit. It can be replaced separately from the entire navigation display. I'm seeing prices similar to what you described $599 used on Ebay - $1,300 on line. I need to try an Ipod b/c if it will still function I may just take the loss at time of resale.

Thanks again
Old 08-16-12, 10:34 PM
XxGoKoUxX

NP, and I hope everything turned out okay. Like I said though, if you're looking for a repair, there should be plenty of reputable repair shops near you, if you can'tfind any, PM me as I might be able to find a shop around FL (you may have to ship) that may be able to take care of that for you. GL!

P.S. your sunroof will still work, but you need to program the automatic function in the sunroof to get it working properly (so you don't have to hold the button to close and open the sunroof.)
Old 10-06-12, 01:46 PM
xarnette15
Driver School Candidate

Strange. the CD/DVD portion has not worked since I posted, then randomly last week I heard it cycling CDs. So I ejected all my CDs and put in one and it was playing fine, same with a second CD and it would cycle back and forth. Then maybe a day later it shut down totally again. A few days later it cycled back on and I could eject CDs, and now nothing again. Who knows. MP3 is in action now.

The other day I left a gas station after having accidentally popped my trunk along with the gas cap. I left the gas station and drove for a solid hr with it popped. Now the Key FOB and the button on the drop down panel do not pop the trunk. It has to be done by inserting the key. The trunk still vacuums down when shut, but will not pop. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-06-12, 09:29 PM
XxGoKoUxX

hmm, that is most definitely a strange symptom! It may just be a whole nother symptom altogether....

Your trunk has a valet switch, are you sure you don't accidentally hit that valet switch every once in a while?

This is located in your glovebox.