GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 32k miles, what price would sell quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 05:54 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
I have the same car but w/o the ML (I do have nav) and at 34K miles (and the car is flawless inside and out). Recently I checked with Jim Falk Lexus (in Beverly Hills) what I would get on trade in for a new LS460. Best I could get was $23K. That told me if I sold to a private party, I'd get $24-25K. Market may vary geographically.

Market for used cars is very soft right now. Even classic cars (which I have two for sale)...I'm getting very little interest (my '67 Corvette Stingray convertible is listed with an established agent and have only received two lame inquiries in 14 weeks).
Here in Indiana, the AWD GS sells quickly. I know of at least one RWD GS that has been on the lot I drive by for a long time.

Is it sad that I'd rather have your 442 than the Stingray? lol
Old 08-22-12, 09:12 AM
photoguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can help me set photoguy to lee@whitneyland.com that would be great, I can't reset it myself.

thank you,
Lee

Originally Posted by neurocity
We interrupt this dramatic episode of "Whats my car worth?" With a Mod Thread jack.

Lee...Pick one. We can reset an email on an account. Whats your user name going to be? Texasphototenguy...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...-texasten.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...-photoguy.html
Old 08-22-12, 05:57 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
19k is top dollar in my area off MMR. Dont forget MMR is area specific. Your looking at 17k to a max of 19k on trade in. No dealer is going to offer more then this. 19k only if the car truly needs no work and is clean.

LOL this car will NEVER sell private party for 26,500 nor would a dealer pay 22k or more for this car. At a dealer maybe they can find a sucker for 26,500 but they can back up the car unlike a private party sale. These have taken a decent hit this last year with the newer model out. Its not hard to pull a carfax and autocheck on a car when your looking even if its private party. Carfax & autocheck are not perfect so you still need to look over any car that your purchasing.

OP if your looking to move the car quickly then price it between 22 - 23k and you will get some serious offers. If your able to privately sell a car for a few thousand over what a dealer would buy the car for then run with it. I have purchased 3 cars in the past few years private party for less then MMR in my area so use that as food for thought. All cars accident free, vin tags in check, ect...and I know what to look for

your not going to get more then "avg" the above avg cars are typically off lease cars and the local dealer will get a tax credit so they will step into the car slightly more because it allows an internal tax credit for the new car department.

This above car sold for 19,300 at the auction with less miles then yours Trust me the car is not worth any more then 19k and that is top dollar on your car if you want honest info.

Good luck with your sale
I'm a dealer. In the NORTHEAST and I'll buy the car for $21800 TODAY. Why? Because if I can't make a quick grand wholesaling it it's not worth my time. At that number I can.

Galves on a 2007 GS350 is $18.700 with 57k miles.

You car has Nav, add $1200 for that, $200 for 18s and $300 for ML. There's a $2,900 add for 32k miles, which I feel is a bit excessive. I'd realistically hit this car, as a trade, at $21-22k depending on condition. But I am in the Northeast and a RWD GS is a liability here, you are in Texas.

Can you buy a comparable mile RWD car at auction for $19k? Yup, I've seen ones without Navigation with Unibody damage announcements do that.

You guys can NOT look at isolated examples on MMR and go by that, there's a HUGE number of factors involved.

Does the car have Navi? MMR doesn't tell you that. GSs without Navi sell like Vodka in Mecca. Galves may show a $1200 swing, in reality it's closer to $2-2500.

Does the car have paintwork? Even if it has a clean Carfax this hurts it.

What color is it? If you think a Red, Green or Beige one will do what a SGM or Silver one will do you're mistaken. And if you think a Mercury or SGM car will do what a Pearl White or Black/Black car will do you're also mistaken.

What sale was it at? If M&T Bank runs a repo'd one at Manheim New York (Newburgh) it's very likely NOT going to bring the same money as one at Manheim PA being run by LFS or Oceanside or Hollenshead on the 3rd Thursday of the month.

And the market? It's strong as heck right now. I've been to 2 auctions this week and 1 more to go. We have a big sale going so I'll simulcast Manheim on Friday. Some weeks I am at auctions 4 days out of 5.

Meh, what do I know anyways? I only am in charge of pricing, inventory mix, marketing etc for a group of 3 dealers that move 120-150 used cars a month with a 10 turn, little aging and good grosses. I've only been buying Luxury cars at auction since 1997 and GSs? We don't sell too many, I have only bought 9 this year and traded for 3, and I only buy 07-08s and only 350s with Navi and AWD, and that means I probably bid on 6 a month and look at 10 or so.

Passnu, if you can buy 5 cars like the OP's for $19k or less, I can pay you a $2k profit per car shipped to my store. Criteria: No paintwork except for bumpers, Navi and clean Carfax, no more than $700/car in recon required. No gold, red, blue or green.
Old 08-22-12, 06:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ get me registered thru your dealer and I will find you plenty of cars Does your current transporter travel out of state?
Old 08-22-12, 06:30 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

^ get me registered thru your dealer and I will find you plenty of cars Does your current transporter travel out of state?
I work with a bunch of transporters.

I'm not about to give you an access card, sorry. Thought you said you were a dealer?
Old 08-22-12, 07:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

where did I say I was a dealer

Independent is better then being tied to one dealer. Worked for one of the bigger names out here, my buddy owns it, they average 150 used at each store all being luxury. They push metal at these stores

Anyway I think the OP should still take your offer.
Old 08-22-12, 07:41 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

where did I say I was a dealer

Independent is better then being tied to one dealer. Worked for one of the bigger names out here, my buddy owns it, they average 150 used at each store all being luxury. They push metal at these stores

Anyway I think the OP should still take your offer.
I was basing it off of this...

The info I have are facts along with doing this for a living I can back up my words.
Thought you bought cars for a living... Are you currently in the business? And don't tell me you worked for Joe Abbas...
Old 08-23-12, 05:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yes buying for a living and no that's not the dealer group. Everything you do I did for a larger group We pushed more metal if you want to combine locations or look at it per location Wore many hats myself anyway I know what these cars can be had for if you want to pay more and have less profit and the dealer is happy with their margins that's all that matters.

maybe a local mod would like to chime in about what he paid for his Hybrid compared to what market was selling them for but I have no clue how to buy cars
Old 08-23-12, 06:51 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

2007 GS450h, bought April 11' $23.5k before fees, 47k miles. Every other 450h in Chicago-land was over $32k. Purchased by passnu2, sold to me 16hours later.

rld14, you wouldn't happen to be the used car manager over at Rockland Toyota? Probably take the PIP to work everyday.

If so then how much did you pay for this...seemingly identical car we're talking about here.
http://rocklandtoyota.com/Blauvelt-N...y-Car/9839289/

Last edited by neurocity; 08-23-12 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 07:10 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Nope, I'm in Paramus and Bergenfield... I used to work for Rockland as the UCM, and bought my GS off lease when I worked there, in 2010. For $25k iirc. Had 37k on it as well... Guy bought a Venza and dropped his lease return off with us and I grabbed it. Same color combo too... Except mine had Eagle RS-As on it haha.

That stock # is close to 200 cars old, seeing as they go through about a hundred used car stock #s a month... Car is probably 60 days old and they're blowing it out. Probably traded it for in the 23s knowing them. Based on the Carfax it's at least 50 days in stock.. So my guess was right. If that car is as nice as it ought to be it could hit $24k at Manheim.

I have 2 GSs in stock right now, an 08 350 AWD that's not on our site yet, just bought it for $26700 and have it sold for $29,944. White over Black, 28k miles, Nav/Lev, absolutely mint. Front pads 60%, rears almost new, full Lexus service history, Dunlops 8-9/32nds all around. No paintwork, no scuffs, never smoked in, the car is THAT nice. The other is an 06 300 AWD with Nav and Lev with 42k, Flint over Black. Nice car but bad Carfax, r quarter painted and rear bumper painted. No frame but it was scraped. Think we traded that for around $17500 due to the Carfax. Asking $21944. Figure it'll do $18500 at Manheim if I still have it in 30 days... So i wont lose much if any. If it had a clean Carfax it'd do $20,500 at Manheim. One owner, non smoker, etc.

So I did some digging... I'm paying in the $25-27 range for 08 GSs depending on miles (25-40k) and color for Nagi AWDs that are actually nice. 07s I'm in the 22-24k range depending on color and miles. I don't buy 06s but will keep trades, besides the 350s are MUCH easier to move than the 300s.
Old 08-23-12, 07:14 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Yes buying for a living and no that's not the dealer group. Everything you do I did for a larger group We pushed more metal if you want to combine locations or look at it per location Wore many hats myself anyway I know what these cars can be had for if you want to pay more and have less profit and the dealer is happy with their margins that's all that matters.

maybe a local mod would like to chime in about what he paid for his Hybrid compared to what market was selling them for but I have no clue how to buy cars
Good, he went down in flames! I briefly toyed with the idea of buying one of his stores when the SHTF back in 09 but cooler heads prevailed.

So I assume you were the UCM? Buyer?

Still like to know where you're finding nice low mile 07s for under $20k these days... Because nobody else is unless they're robbing them on trade, which is sometimes doable.

I have a number of cars that I have saved searches on on Manheim, I just don't see NICE 07 GSs doing that short money. Again, color and Navi and no paintwork and clean Carfax. Just don't see em doing it. Neither does MMR.
Old 08-23-12, 07:36 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

And to play Devils advocate, yes these cars do pop up cheaply... A quick glance on OVE:

08 GS350 AWD, Navi, no ML. Silver/Grey 29k. $23,900 Buy Now.

08 GS350 No navi or ML. But it's Black/Black. 48k. $23,900 Buy now also.

08 GS350 AWD Navi can't tell on ML but doubtful. 52k $22,995 buy now

And I doubt any of those cars will bring the buy now money across the block.

All have accidents on the Carfax, that 29k mile one has 2 including this little gem:

04/29/2008 * * Ohio
Damage Report * Accident reported
Involving left front impact
It ran off the road
It hit a ditch
It hit a utility pole
Left front primarily damaged
Moderate damage reported
Vehicle towed
Front airbag deployed
CARFAX Airbag Tips

Like I said, cars with paintwork or issues bring weak money, mint ones break the bank. Can I buy an 08 GS350 AWD with Nav and under 30k on the clock for $24k? Yup.

Will I put it on my lot? Nope.

If I brought a car like that back to the store from the auction I'd be looking for another job and rightfully so. Now, as far as 450hs go, I have no clue on those. I don't buy em or watch the market on them. I took one in on trade towards an LS460 and sat with it for 60 days with hardly any interest. They're neat cars but they don't sell. Theres lots of neat cars that don't sell for us, nothing against the 450h.

Last edited by rld14; 08-23-12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 03:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Well to be fair cars on OVE have nothing to do with MMR. OVE is pretty much a joke IMO. Its either garbage cars or dealers trying to sell FLR cars for retail to another dealer. I can list a car for any price on OVE that doesnt mean it will sell. Cars selling local here are not unibody or bad cars for what MMR avg is, if a car runs a lane here that is that bad it either doesnt sell or will sell for much less then book regardless of make. Most just run the lane with no bids. If I had given a penny over MMR when I was stricktly with one dealer group I would have been looking and there is not one UCM, Buyer, Wholesaler I have meet in the midwest that does it any different. Then again your the first I have heard of that does things this way. I have yet to see a RWD GS350 that has 17" rims from the factory. AWD GS's yes but no RWD...

Either way its working for your area and the group your with is happy so that is all that matters. I may have to go find bad cars and ship them to PA and run them if they bring full MMR in your area I could make a fortune on some cars.

As for where to buy cars I get them from all over. The auction isnt the only place and the less I can buy there the better to keep fees down. Maybe you should start coming to the auctions in Chicago and pay for transporting cars since it seems you would save a decent amount and increase your bottom line. If I recall I only purchased two cars out of PA from the Audi Financial sale and both were crazy money IMO but I had buyers that wanted specific colors and options.

Hybrid's are a unique car for a specific buyer but they bring all the money and then some and condition or mileage seem to have no factor in Chicago. They will sit the lot longer then most cars but bring all the money and then some. I would keep one on the lot at all times but nothing more. I was fortunate to be close friends of the owners before even helping them out as a UCM, Buyer, ect...that I was able to let this GSh slide to a local member. In fact he got the car for less then the employees could/would lol.
Old 08-24-12, 05:37 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Oh there's LOTS of sources for cars, and we do buy them from the public. My company doesn't buy or sell from wholesalers but I know a lot of them, you ever get out here check out "the building" across from Teterboro airport.

I'd say on a weekly basis there's easily 20 wholesalers that I talk to. There's an email list that a few hundred dealers are on that I subscribe to, cars are offered on there daily, but it's rare for nice stuff to be much back from MMR, why? Because why sell a car for $24k when it does $26k at the sale. Now, if it does $26k at the sale a wholesaler would likely cut it loose for $25k today versus ship it for $200, pay $300 in fees and wait till next week with no guarantee of a sale. We did fair this week at Manheim and were around 60%, but we only ran 14 cars. TBH though we generally send stuff that we don't want to retail to the sale, it's rare for aged inventory to end up there. Out of 168 retail pieces I have perhaps 15 over 60 and were on a 10 turn which isn't where I'd like to be but I can't complain, when I took over my position in January we were at a 6.

I've been to auctions in the Midwest, the cars aren't there. Highline sales really worth the trip are Manheim, Orlando to a degree, West Palm, Atlanta and maybe St Louis but I understand that their highline sale isn't what it was. Last time I was there for a highline sale was over 10 years ago and half the buyers were from Chicago.

RWD GSs? Meh, I don't buy em so I'd imagine you're right.

I just looked at the post sales for Manheim Chicago... GSs seem to bring big money there as well... That 06 looks to have done ALL the money and that 09 brought a healthy price. Oh, look in MMR on 09s... See the blue one @ Manheim on the 2nd? Unibody and filthy CF.

If you can source stuff cheap, LMK... I can't buy direct but all you need is a smart auction account and were good.
Old 08-25-12, 11:08 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Okay...

Back on topic.

Whats this guys car worth? Magical number vs real world.

Quick Reply: 2007 32k miles, what price would sell quickly?