GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 06:51 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kadakiss
^ The only reason I was looking at the 06 was because of the lower price but after reading this thread the 07 350 model is looking like a better buy.
My 06 just had the ings replaced nd the heads cleaned, inspected, reassembled and new valve seals installed. The valve springs were done about two years ago under a different service bulletin.
The car is running gret, getting good mileage. I just wonder how my catalytic converters will hold up what ith he ooty exhaust?
Old 03-11-13, 04:41 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

My three week waiting period starting on 1/26 just got extended another 8-12 weeks.. Service adviser said Lexus was short on parts and will be releasing more shortly.. so a 4 to 5 month wait time now on this CSP stated earlier is about right.
Old 03-11-13, 06:03 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greyhndfan
My three week waiting period starting on 1/26 just got extended another 8-12 weeks.. Service adviser said Lexus was short on parts and will be releasing more shortly.. so a 4 to 5 month wait time now on this CSP stated earlier is about right.
See, I don't understand the parts wait. My car was in the shop from sat-fri. They supposedly looked at it Monday, ordered the parts to arrive Tuesday and were finished late Thursday.
That's great service.

Last edited by ingoodtime; 03-11-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 09:23 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
See, I don't understand the parts wait. My car was in the shop from sat-fri. They supposedly looked at it Monday, ordered the parts to arrive Tuesday and were finished late Thursday.
That's great service.

only guess is they use regional depots to fulfill their parts demand. we're fresh out over here..lol.
Old 03-12-13, 09:07 AM
kadakiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback ingoodtime.
Old 03-12-13, 11:20 AM
rj12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by naquin123
Lexus didnt send out letters on a recall because it didnt happen on most cars thats what west side Lexus told me. But they did tell me to bring in my 06 gs cause I was getting the oil level low light on before my oil change was due and when I would check the oil there was no oil on the dip stick. I also noticed the there was black stuff on my rear bumber. So they ran a test on my car to see if there was a misfire and there was. So they replaced pistions and rings with no charge. I can say that the car runs much better and with more power. Hope my info answers a few of ya'lls questions. But I still dont understand how they can correct a missfire by changing the pistion rings. Im sure it will happen again sooner or later.
Was the oil loss consistent. Mine only loses it sometimes. I did the oil consumption test and it was fine. The oil change prior to this I had no oil on the dipstick and the light hadn't come on. He says the car will run fine with 2 quarts of oil (oil wont show on dipstick). He said its typical for the car to run through a quart of oil every thousand miles. They also ran the car through the test for misfire and didn't find anything wrong. Not sure how I am losing oil randomly.
Old 03-12-13, 06:27 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

It's been about 3 weeks since I had the CSP done and the car was running fine. Tonight, the check engine line, check VSC light came on - hopefully nothing too serious!
Old 03-12-13, 06:44 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bhuwan
It's been about 3 weeks since I had the CSP done and the car was running fine. Tonight, the check engine line, check VSC light came on - hopefully nothing too serious!
Last time that happened to me I think the Burke light was on also. It was the brake light switch.
Old 03-12-13, 06:51 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Was down about 10.5 gals of gas so decided to fuel up. Pen and paper mpg was 27.6 ...car is running well. She is a keeper. I want to go 250,000 miles. I have a little over 83000 now. I wonder what I'd need To put into her to run her that long.

Last edited by ingoodtime; 03-13-13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 04:46 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
Last time that happened to me I think the Burke light was on also. It was the brake light switch.
hopefully it's not a Engine Misfire, haha
Old 03-16-13, 08:45 AM
naquin123
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rj12
Was the oil loss consistent. Mine only loses it sometimes. I did the oil consumption test and it was fine. The oil change prior to this I had no oil on the dipstick and the light hadn't come on. He says the car will run fine with 2 quarts of oil (oil wont show on dipstick). He said its typical for the car to run through a quart of oil every thousand miles. They also ran the car through the test for misfire and didn't find anything wrong. Not sure how I am losing oil randomly.
Yes the oil loss was consistent. Right before each oil change was due my oil level light would come on and when I checked the oil it wouldnt even be on the dip stick. also my rear bumber was starting to get black residue on it from the oil burning. I dont believe the car should go through a quart of oil every thousand miles. I have a 2004 acura tl with 164k on it and the oil is always perfectly full when I check it.
Old 03-18-13, 11:17 AM
jesse gs30
Driver

My Vsc light came on and said I needed a new tranny -____- car wont shift after third gear had a 02 gs300 and never had any problems with it got the 06 and now have that big problem -__- any suggestions
Old 03-18-13, 12:05 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jesse gs30
My Vsc light came on and said I needed a new tranny -____- car wont shift after third gear had a 02 gs300 and never had any problems with it got the 06 and now have that big problem -__- any suggestions
I'm getting ready to dump my 2006 GS300 AWD on the vehicle since I've had it. The dealer has been great, but the quality of the product from Toyota/Lexus is not what I would expect.

doesn't help that my warranties are expiring shortly.
Old 03-21-13, 11:56 AM
my350z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jesse gs30
You would need to replace the trans, no other choice. I had this last year Aug, bring them to Lexus and call Corporate Lexus (they are local to us) once you have the confirmation from your local dealership for the total cost. I got 50% on parts from Corporate Lexus which is not bad instead of paying the whole shebang. Mine was slightly over 60k miles and was 3 months over the warranty period on trans, bad timing indeed. Good luck!
Old 03-21-13, 12:00 PM
my350z
Driver School Candidate

Back to the topic of this thread, I was supposed to wait for another month or two for the parts (which I think it is stupid) but I kept calling them back every 2 weeks or so and claim that the burning oil is getting worse and annoying. My local dealership is being helpful enough to expedite and bump me up to the top of the list. I dropped off the car 2 days ago and they claimed it should be done in 3-4 days just right before the weekend. We'll see, in the meantime, I am enjoying the ES350 loaner with bluetooth audio and the rest of the good stuff that comes with.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire