GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 10:39 AM
charmz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sent lexus canada another email.... my car is buring excessive oil and im ready to fight for the cause and/or dump the car before it turns into a complete ****box.

So when they confirm your car has these symptoms, do they perform L-SB-0125-12 ?

Last edited by charmz; 05-28-13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 01:17 PM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ITWORKS
update------ They called me back and said they wont have the parts for my repair for another week. Asked me to return the loaner and drive my car until then. I said sure. Showed up Saturday morning . My car was washed and ready for me. 15 minutes tops. Very satisfied with Lexus of Kendall's service. I'd rather return the car than be given the runaround for an extra week.
SM called me back. They got the parts. Dropped it off today. Got a 2013 ES loaner. In and out in 15 minutes. Again, awesome service at Lexus of Kendall.
Old 05-28-13, 07:33 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by charmz
Just sent lexus canada another email.... my car is buring excessive oil and im ready to fight for the cause and/or dump the car before it turns into a complete ****box.

So when they confirm your car has these symptoms, do they perform L-SB-0125-12 ?
The last email I sent to Lexus Canada asking about this went unanswered... I also emailed a service advisor that I had previously worked with on the same issue and he had some stuff that was sanctioned at the time as "the fix" done (top engine clean, basically) for me... my last email to him even went unanswered. I don't know what's wrong up here, but it seems we get no support from Lexus here at all and they just want to forget about it.

All I can say is when I bought the car, I pretty much bought it blindly based on reputation for quality and previous good experiences with quality on past Toyota products I've owned personally... but that feeling is nearly gone now. They seriously had a customer for life in me prior to this disappearing act - I probably would have spent a bit more for a bit of an inferior product just based on the name alone before... well, actually I did that already and I'm still driving it.

Saving grace for me is that I put only a few thousand kilometers on the car in a year. Please keep me updated if you get any kind of rise out of Lexus Canada... THANKS.
Old 05-29-13, 09:36 AM
charmz
Lead Lap

I got a very much typical response from the same John Ross, I then asked him to provide me with a manager contact info to furthur discuss with someone who wouldnt respond to me as a robot and this is what i got back......

Dear Mr._______

Thank you for your most recent correspondence.

Your file, bearing case number 2******5, is being sent to our Review team. You can expect a response from a member of our Review Team.

We would like to thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

John Ross
Customer Interaction Centre
Lexus Canada

Hit them up again Jay, lets stir the pot over there. I also contacted the service manager of the dealership i purchased the car from, he told me he was going to assign the case to a senior tech and try to document my oil burning.

I had the same feeling about the lexus brand when buying my 3gs comming from a 2gs. I no longer have that feeling and can almost guarantee that my next car will not be a lexus. If this problem doesnt get resoved the car will be sold

Last edited by charmz; 05-29-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 08:05 AM
UCF3
Rookie

Yikes! I don't think I am going that far yet, but since the GS and my iS-F are showing multiple defects (Mark Levinson, engine, etc.,) I am questioning my 30+ year loyalty I have for Toyota..

@ the Canadian guys, you should file multiple claims with the CBB (Canadian Better Business) or the government agency that monitors vehicle safety or the environment. The misfires are linked to excess hydro-carbons. So catalytic emissions failure will likely happen down the road.
Old 05-30-13, 09:01 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 775 Likes on 668 Posts

Call a news agency there, and give them your story I am sure they will be all over it. Lexus will feel the pressure and im sure will honor it.
Old 06-04-13, 08:46 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two week update:

Car engine runs noticeably smoother. It also has a more compressed revving sound than before. It didn't improve my MPG as others have reported. I'm still at 25-27 mpg It did make my fuel cruising range more accurate. It used to overstate my range by about 70 miles. I'd get a max range of 430 or 420 miles. My actual range would be around 370 to 360. My cruise range estimate is more along these lines. This adjustment was immediate and I noticed this change right after my first fill up.
Old 06-05-13, 12:27 PM
debeatup
Driver School Candidate

First post after a long lurking period, great to finally be a member. I had browsed the forum prior to getting my 06 GS 300 back in March and I knew of the misfire issue but I rolled the dice anyway. The previous owner was very meticulous in getting the required maintenance done and the car was always serviced at the same dealership so I felt comfortable risking it.

I got an oil change after putting 3K on the car but only a few weeks later I was getting the Low Engine Oil warning. Figured it was just an error so I didn't pay it mind but got it a few more times so took it in and was shocked to find out they had to replace over 2 quarts with only 1800 miles driven since the last change. Not a drop of oil leaking from under the car so I contacted my dealership and included a copy of the CSP letter.

I was nervous that I would be declined but they gave me a '12 ES loaner last Friday and told me they'd perform a carbon test. When I called Saturday they repair was already in progress. Just want to say that Westside Lexus in Houston has been top notch for me and excellent service. I was considering going the BMW route but the service and respect I get from the dealership plays a big factor in my loyalty (this is the second car I've purchased through them). The ES loaner does make me yearn to get at least a 09-10 GS though with some of the smaller improvements though.
Old 06-07-13, 08:45 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

I've been experiencing the same issue, dropped mine off a couple of days ago but they arent showing any codes in the computer. I have been putting about a quart and a half in every 2000 miles or so. They clearly need to fix this issue. Im going to keep monitoring the issue until its fixed. Anyone had this resolved without the check engine light being on?
Old 06-07-13, 05:50 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phat32
I've been experiencing the same issue, dropped mine off a couple of days ago but they arent showing any codes in the computer. I have been putting about a quart and a half in every 2000 miles or so. They clearly need to fix this issue. Im going to keep monitoring the issue until its fixed. Anyone had this resolved without the check engine light being on?
I was not using lots of oil but did notice very black exhaust tips on the car tail. Car exhibited misfire symptoms after quick stops from higher speed. It also did the occasional stutter at idle. First time dealer checked it, the proper codes were not present, repair denied. By the next one or two oil changes, after more of the same symptoms, the dealer checked it again and the proper codes were exhibited. Car has been wonderful since the repair.

Last edited by ingoodtime; 06-08-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 12:40 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
I was not using lots of oil but did notice very black exhaust tips nd lot on the car tail. Car exhibited misfire symptoms after quick stops from higher speed. It also I'd the occasional stutter at idle. First to e dealer checked it, the proper codes were not present, repair denied. By the next one or to oil changes, after more of the same symptoms, the dealer checked it again and the proper codes were exhibited. Car has been wonderful since the repair.
Congrats on the rebuild. I'm going to try to push my dealer next week. Been waiting at least six month and can't really tell if the engine in the stalling at speed or the transmission going through its gears. This
Old 06-09-13, 03:12 PM
kjazz
Driver School Candidate

Default Work was OK'd

I brought my 2008 GS300 in to have Lexus run the tests as I had the symptoms of engine light going on a couple of times and a quart of oil burning per 1000 miles. 85000 miles on the car. They ran the test and said I qualified but told me that Lexus would not likely have parts for 3 months. THe engine light came on a couple of more times. I waited and the call came in. I asked them to look over the other parts since the engine was pulled out. Got new plugs because they were not replaced at 60k, new battery, water pump was leaking but covered under my 3rd party warranty, changed the belt, no need to change the timing belt cause it is a chain. The biggest surprise was the exhaust system was rusted and that was the big hit. My car came from the east coast so the winter salt ate into the bottom.

90% of the engine was rebuilt and the car runs quiet and smooth again. Mileage is up and I'm waiting to see if the oil burning is down too. Only 500 miles since the fix but it is running good. I buffed it out so it looks slick. Dare I trade this in for another vehicle? Not yet.

Thank you Lexus for standing up for this.
Old 06-12-13, 12:30 PM
sabzonsabz
Driver School Candidate

Default GS300 2006 Engine Misfire Caused Transmission Issue

I received a letter from lexus on the misfire issue. My car had always hesitated on pickup and was burning oil. I took the car in with the Customer Support Program letter and the dealership confirmed the problem and changed the piston ring set and gasket. Now, my car is worst off than it was before the change, it hesitates and doesnt pick up well going uphill. I took the car back in to the dealership and they are now saying my transmission is bad. I called corporate and they advised that they will cover 25% of the transmission but its still going to cost me $5k for a ney transmission. My car has about 128k miles. Anyone else experience a similar issue after correcting the misfire issue?
Old 06-12-13, 02:22 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabzonsabz
I received a letter from lexus on the misfire issue. My car had always hesitated on pickup and was burning oil. I took the car in with the Customer Support Program letter and the dealership confirmed the problem and changed the piston ring set and gasket. Now, my car is worst off than it was before the change, it hesitates and doesnt pick up well going uphill. I took the car back in to the dealership and they are now saying my transmission is bad. I called corporate and they advised that they will cover 25% of the transmission but its still going to cost me $5k for a ney transmission. My car has about 128k miles. Anyone else experience a similar issue after correcting the misfire issue?
crap!! This maybe my faith as well. Still waiting for the parts on my GS, but I have this feeling the transmission maybe on its way out too.
Does anyone know if they are related, like a cause and effect relationship?
Old 06-14-13, 04:57 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UCF3
crap!! This maybe my faith as well. Still waiting for the parts on my GS, but I have this feeling the transmission maybe on its way out too.
Does anyone know if they are related, like a cause and effect relationship?
There is no way the two things would be connected.

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire