GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 05:20 PM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my car back. After a brief hiccup at my first attempt to pick up my car I got my car back today. It came out good. Running smooth and so far pretty happy with it. They took good care of me at Lexus of Kendall. I'll follow up in a week to tell you all how it's working out.
Old 06-16-13, 05:06 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
There is no way the two things would be connected.
Yah, that's what I was thinking too. The only thing that could go wrong would be stress due to constant gear changes.
Old 07-03-13, 12:40 AM
gojeezy123
Driver

Hey CL fam.. So my car is going in next week for the rebuild.. I am going to have them replace the spark plugs, but wanted to know if you guys would recommend getting the water pump and/or drive belt replaced as well...?? (Currently at 113,XXX miles)

I know its going to be quite a bit more buying those parts from that specific dealer instead of Sewell, but at the same time I'm sure they won't warranty their work if I supplied the parts myself from Sewell.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-03-13, 11:50 AM
UCF3
Rookie

You know, i've been wondering about that myself. I'm sure your dealer is already thinking about charging you with something.

I'm opting for new belts since mine sweek a lot.. You could get your coolant flushed if you haven't already and if the tech says your water pump should be as well i'd get it out of the way.

As for the Sewell Parts can't see any reason why the dealer won't honor the parts. Show them your Sewell receipt and the tech can see the box and parts have Toyota part numbers on them. My dealer says he'll honor legitimate Toyota parts.
Old 07-04-13, 08:10 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the plugs...dealer charged oh off the top of my head about 180.00 parts. I also replaced the drive belt. since I still have the Lexus platinum warranty, I passed on the water pump...dealer said it still looked good. Now have 88000 miles on her. 200,000, here I come!
Old 07-09-13, 02:33 AM
crump06
Driver School Candidate

i bought my 06 gs300 awd last year from lexus dealer with 79,000 miles on it. I noticed the idle problem but it was few and far between so i did not think much of it. My car had been fine until the low oil light came on inbetween oil changes. I took my car in and told them about the oil and idle problem. 45 minutes later they said they would be replacing the piston rings etc free. It is indeed and ongoing problem with the 06 gs model. They did reccomend I change my spark plugs and water pump. I'm waiting for them to call me, they had to order the parts. There was no hassle at all, I was extremely surprised. Less than 500 buck for everything is well worth it to me.
Old 07-10-13, 01:24 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by crump06
i bought my 06 gs300 awd last year from lexus dealer with 79,000 miles on it. I noticed the idle problem but it was few and far between so i did not think much of it. My car had been fine until the low oil light came on inbetween oil changes. I took my car in and told them about the oil and idle problem. 45 minutes later they said they would be replacing the piston rings etc free. It is indeed and ongoing problem with the 06 gs model. They did reccomend I change my spark plugs and water pump. I'm waiting for them to call me, they had to order the parts. There was no hassle at all, I was extremely surprised. Less than 500 buck for everything is well worth it to me.
I've noticed this is a pretty common response. The dealers test the engine and we are waiting for the parts to come in. I think i am going to buy a new spark plug kit and water pump from Sewell and have them ready for the day they finally call me in.

Old 07-14-13, 03:46 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Default Update for my 06

My car was at 114,XXX miles so I wanted to get the 120k service done as well since they'll have everything out.

They took my car in Monday, was done by Thursday

Recall work: (No charge)
-Replace Piston Rings
-Cleaned Carbon Buildup
-Replace Engine oil ($37, brought in Mobil 1 myself)
-Replace Engine coolant

Additional work: (Paid cost of parts only)
-Replace Spark Plugs
-Replace Drive Belt
-Replace Water Pump
-Drain & Fill Brake Fluid ($50 labor)
-Drain & Fill Rear Diff Fluid ($30 labor)

My total cost $404.97

(I was quoted something between $900-$1000 for 120k service from another dealer if I were to get it done separately)

My parts manager hooked it up on parts because I mentioned I can get them for less from Sewell, and secondly, he's a ClubLexus member as well

Only things that will be left to do from the 120k service will be cabin air filter, which I'll do myself and the rest of the visual checks/inspections, which will be done when I have the dealer do my next oil change.

Oh and yes my GS is feeling brand new!!
Old 07-15-13, 12:58 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Congrats!!!
Old 07-16-13, 04:50 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just dropped mine off. Stated it would take 5 business days. Until I'll drive this 2013 E which is actually pretty nice. But not sporty enough. Labor is free if they have to replace anything such as water pump. I'm at 79k so I should be ok with not replacing the water pump right? If not I wonder if it will be covered under my extended warranty.

Last edited by benztolex; 07-16-13 at 06:01 AM. Reason: mispelled words
Old 07-21-13, 09:10 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone experienced what I think I was told the timing chain rattling periodically on idle as a part of this issue, or totally seperate?
Old 07-22-13, 06:54 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish you guys would stop talking about dropping your cars off to get this fixed.
Old 07-22-13, 08:31 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I wish you guys would stop talking about dropping your cars off to get this fixed.
Have you atleast tried seafoaming your engine? I just ran a bottle and half through my GS350 and that smoothed out a rough idle I had. A bottle and a half is excessive but I wanted to make sure things were squecky clean. It smoked and spurred like crazy even threw up a flashing check engine light

I let the engine heat up to operating temp, Poured 3/4 a bottle in and turned off the car and let it sit for a few hours for the SF to penetrate the carbon. Cranked the car again and finished the rest of the SF. It smoked badly for atleast 5min, but now the car idles perfect its like a new car. So easy to do!
Old 07-24-13, 05:24 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Have you atleast tried seafoaming your engine? I just ran a bottle and half through my GS350 and that smoothed out a rough idle I had. A bottle and a half is excessive but I wanted to make sure things were squecky clean. It smoked and spurred like crazy even threw up a flashing check engine light

I let the engine heat up to operating temp, Poured 3/4 a bottle in and turned off the car and let it sit for a few hours for the SF to penetrate the carbon. Cranked the car again and finished the rest of the SF. It smoked badly for atleast 5min, but now the car idles perfect its like a new car. So easy to do!
Lexus did a top engine clean a couple of years ago to it (they wouldn't do anything until it got bad enough to the point where I finally had random misfire codes for them to see that time), the car is mostly driving fine since (it still can feel rough at idle after sitting overnight or stopped at lights sometimes but so far it has not been as bad as before it got cleaned out)... what I don't want is it to be a recurring problem and/or get to the point where I have to start adding oil to it... I don't drive it enough to tell how the oil consumption is really, but my tail pipes do get sooty. It seems less of an issue since I started putting synthetic into it.

Anyway, it is what it is... if I get codes I will bring it to them and give them their $60-120 for "diagnostics" and then go from there in terms of figuring out who will pay for what fix but I am not inclined to pay for any issue related to piston rings with this car.
Old 07-24-13, 08:14 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I had this done to my car. Mobil 1 makes my car knock At start up. Was told that our cars don't need to get the drive belt changed as they have a drive chain. And the onlt time you replace it is when it snaps.( breaks) All I replaced was the spark plugs and water pump. Free labor on all the parts I had to buy that where not included in the recall. Have 175.000 + miles 2006 GS300

Originally Posted by gojeezy123
My car was at 114,XXX miles so I wanted to get the 120k service done as well since they'll have everything out.

They took my car in Monday, was done by Thursday

Recall work: (No charge)
-Replace Piston Rings
-Cleaned Carbon Buildup
-Replace Engine oil ($37, brought in Mobil 1 myself)
-Replace Engine coolant

Additional work: (Paid cost of parts only)
-Replace Spark Plugs
-Replace Drive Belt
-Replace Water Pump
-Drain & Fill Brake Fluid ($50 labor)
-Drain & Fill Rear Diff Fluid ($30 labor)

My total cost $404.97

(I was quoted something between $900-$1000 for 120k service from another dealer if I were to get it done separately)

My parts manager hooked it up on parts because I mentioned I can get them for less from Sewell, and secondly, he's a ClubLexus member as well

Only things that will be left to do from the 120k service will be cabin air filter, which I'll do myself and the rest of the visual checks/inspections, which will be done when I have the dealer do my next oil change.

Oh and yes my GS is feeling brand new!!

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire