GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 01:31 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... I haven't experienced a knock at start up (yet) **knock on wood** lol

As for your info about the chain/belt, you're half right.. I got the drive belt replaced, you are referring to us having a TIMING CHAIN and not a TIMING BELT. The drive belt runs only accessory components like A/C, water pump, alternator, etc.. Timing belt/chain run the crank and camshafts. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone..

Originally Posted by lexus4jess
I had this done to my car. Mobil 1 makes my car knock At start up. Was told that our cars don't need to get the drive belt changed as they have a drive chain. And the onlt time you replace it is when it snaps.( breaks) All I replaced was the spark plugs and water pump. Free labor on all the parts I had to buy that where not included in the recall. Have 175.000 + miles 2006 GS300
Old 07-25-13, 01:55 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

your right , my bad.

Originally Posted by gojeezy123
Interesting... I haven't experienced a knock at start up (yet) **knock on wood** lol

As for your info about the chain/belt, you're half right.. I got the drive belt replaced, you are referring to us having a TIMING CHAIN and not a TIMING BELT. The drive belt runs only accessory components like A/C, water pump, alternator, etc.. Timing belt/chain run the crank and camshafts. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone..
Old 07-29-13, 10:13 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default Take mine to sewell or wait?

I am not buring more then 1 quart per 1000 miles and only getting 18-19 mpg combined on highway and street and 23-24 on highway. I want to take it to sewell lexus do I need to wait for the light to come on, on the car? I think I have black exaust tips but I don't think I will ever get the car to show up a check engine light.
Old 07-31-13, 06:41 PM
crump06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Do they just automatically go to this fix if you have a check engine light due to random misfire codes, does everybody have to have the check engine light to get the fix or go through a lengthy process of verifying oil consumption?

I have (as always) erratic idle especially when first starting up, bounces up and down... car sometimes vibrates when I'm at a stop. Exhaust tips always full of black soot. Lexus previously did top engine clean and it has run better since but the symptoms are still there. I had the check engine light come up for misfires a few weeks ago again, but I stupidly cleared it figuring they wouldn't do anything about it anyway but now I know I should have at least brought it in and seen what they had to say even if it might mean just flushing a diagnostic fee down the toilet. Well... if it came on once it will come on again I guess. I just wonder if they will tell me I have to do unnecessary stuff instead like change my spark plugs (they have only like 15,000 km on the plugs) etc. etc.
I just dropped my 06gs to lexus today. They will be replacing the piston rings, water pump,drive belt, and spark plugs for less than 400 combined. My car was doing exactly what yours is, minus the codes. I only went there and told them about the oil and idle problems and they ran a 30 minute diagnostic test and said it was the piston rings. The other stuff was recommended since I would be saving on labor. I had no codes, but they gave me zero hassle. Only stated that this has been happening with the 06 gs and lexus would take care of me. They said it would be 2 weeks or more until they are done, they gave me a 2013 rx350 to drive around until then. I would just ask them to take a peek at it if I was you.
Old 08-01-13, 12:37 AM
akoni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crump06
I just dropped my 06gs to lexus today. They will be replacing the piston rings, water pump,drive belt, and spark plugs for less than 400 combined. My car was doing exactly what yours is, minus the codes. I only went there and told them about the oil and idle problems and they ran a 30 minute diagnostic test and said it was the piston rings. The other stuff was recommended since I would be saving on labor. I had no codes, but they gave me zero hassle. Only stated that this has been happening with the 06 gs and lexus would take care of me. They said it would be 2 weeks or more until they are done, they gave me a 2013 rx350 to drive around until then. I would just ask them to take a peek at it if I was you.
That's awesome. No error codes and they still did it for you? I took it in, complained of oil consumption (about 1.5 quarts over 4000 miles) and my car threw the following codes that the techs saw in memory:
-P0172 System too rich (Bank 1)
-P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire

But the dealership said corporate rejected the claim since they couldn't determine carbon build-up was the direct reason. BS. This was at Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA. Where did you go? I should just go there.

This is on a 2006 GS300 w/103k miles.
Old 08-01-13, 01:48 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

My car did not show a check engine light but it did show the symptoms, black exhaust tips, rough idle, etc.. They ran their tests and the codes showed a misfire and Lexus approved the service.

Originally Posted by krava
I am not buring more then 1 quart per 1000 miles and only getting 18-19 mpg combined on highway and street and 23-24 on highway. I want to take it to sewell lexus do I need to wait for the light to come on, on the car? I think I have black exaust tips but I don't think I will ever get the car to show up a check engine light.
Do they just automatically go to this fix if you have a check engine light due to random misfire codes, does everybody have to have the check engine light to get the fix or go through a lengthy process of verifying oil consumption?

I have (as always) erratic idle especially when first starting up, bounces up and down... car sometimes vibrates when I'm at a stop. Exhaust tips always full of black soot. Lexus previously did top engine clean and it has run better since but the symptoms are still there. I had the check engine light come up for misfires a few weeks ago again, but I stupidly cleared it figuring they wouldn't do anything about it anyway but now I know I should have at least brought it in and seen what they had to say even if it might mean just flushing a diagnostic fee down the toilet. Well... if it came on once it will come on again I guess. I just wonder if they will tell me I have to do unnecessary stuff instead like change my spark plugs (they have only like 15,000 km on the plugs) etc. etc.
Old 08-05-13, 11:08 AM
sabzonsabz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akoni
That's awesome. No error codes and they still did it for you? I took it in, complained of oil consumption (about 1.5 quarts over 4000 miles) and my car threw the following codes that the techs saw in memory:
-P0172 System too rich (Bank 1)
-P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire

But the dealership said corporate rejected the claim since they couldn't determine carbon build-up was the direct reason. BS. This was at Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA. Where did you go? I should just go there.

This is on a 2006 GS300 w/103k miles.
You should check out beverly hills lexus. They did it for me. I had my car back within 3-4 days. I dont know why your dealership wouldnt do it, they get paid bank to perform these.
Old 08-05-13, 11:43 AM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is at Longo Lexus now, dropped it off Sat and my CEL disappeared while driving there. BUT, they're going to check it out and call me when they figure it out. OH, my service agent said the misfire was done at 73k miles and I have 83k on it now. I still have the same symptoms. Luckily, they said Cerritos offers a 1 yr warranty. Will fill you guys in when I get it back or hear back from them.
Old 08-05-13, 03:03 PM
rj12
Driver School Candidate

What check engine codes are you all getting if I may ask? I had a check engine light go on and it just said check vsc. I cleared it by unhooking the battery and it hasn't come back on.

I have complained to Lexus several times about low oil levels and they keep telling me that it is normal to burn 1 quart every thousand miles. To me this doesn't make sense since the car takes about 5 quarts and there's an oil change every 5000. I took the car in the last oil change an there was no oil on the dipstick. The low oil light never came on so I didn't think much of it.

Old 08-05-13, 03:07 PM
LexusFan09
Rookie

I just called lexus corporate and they said they dont know a such recall with the 06 lexus gs300
Old 08-05-13, 03:50 PM
sirblinks
Lexus Test Driver

It's actually a customer support program. So it's not really a "recall" from what I've read on here. I don't remember my code since my CEL came on 3 diff times in the span of 3-4 months. Lexus just called, claims my car is perfectly fine, doesn't experience any loss of power, drive is fine, and they tried to duplicate the grinding sound I tend to here when i start my car. I only hear the sound every now and then. So I know that isn't normal. OH, to top it off, my piston rings were done at 73k according to the VIN. BUT, lexus was nice enough to not charge me for all of this and said it's all free of charge and no need to pay the $135. NOW, i just need to figure out the weird "grinding" sound I hear when I start my car.
Old 08-05-13, 05:35 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 775 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFan09
I just called lexus corporate and they said they dont know a such recall with the 06 lexus gs300
Lexus sent out a letter about a year ago, maybe more. Just take it to the dealer, and if youve had check engine light, and had low oil go ahead accept the diagnostic fee. Once they scan the computer and find error codes thats when I believe they will cancel that fee and perform the repair for free.
Old 08-05-13, 06:02 PM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Ok imma take it up to lexus this week. I called dealer and corporate and they acted like i was crazy or something. But i dont have a check engine light on? Or does that matter? I just changed my oil two weeks ago and my low engine oil level light popped on
Old 08-05-13, 06:06 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 775 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFan09
Ok imma take it up to lexus this week. I called dealer and corporate and they acted like i was crazy or something. But i dont have a check engine light on? Or does that matter? I just changed my oil two weeks ago and my low engine oil level light popped on
Has it ever popped up? Because if it has popped up then they can scan the vehicles memory. I think its 1 hours labor to do the diagnostics
Old 08-06-13, 04:35 AM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1

Has it ever popped up? Because if it has popped up then they can scan the vehicles memory. I think its 1 hours labor to do the diagnostics
My check engine light has never popped up but my engine oil level light has popped up several times

Quick Reply: FINALLY....Recall on GS300 engine misfire