GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Side Mirrors making noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 03:19 PM
OnyxGS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Mirrors making noise?

I have searched and searched but can not seem to find anyone else with this type issue. I have a 06' GS430 and for some reason while driving the side mirrors (the passenger side mirror mostly) makes noises for about 2-3 seconds as if its moving or being adjusted even though its not and mirror is in the same position. I really just started to notice it because you cant really hear it with the stereo on or with the exhaust with the windows down. The side mirrors still work as they should ie.. adjust with the controls as they should, tilt down when car is in reverse, return to correct postion once car is back in drive it just makes this noise every 15-20 min while driving. Its more annoying then anything but as mentioned I normally cant even hear it due to listening to the radio. Just inquiring to see if its an issue that could cause bigger problems if ignored.
Old 09-17-12, 05:48 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it start acting up immediately you start the engine or drive off, or does it take a few miles/minutes before it does it?
Have you listened with the ignition on, but no running engine?
Equally with the engine on, but parked up?
Any difference if you adjust mirrors or fold and open them?

You say it's mostly the passenger, which means it must be loud if you can hear it over the road/wind noise sat in the driver's seat!
Are you sure it's the mirror and not something internal?
Old 09-18-12, 05:21 AM
OnyxGS300
Rookie

I normally start to hear it once driving for 10-15 min or so. It doesnt make any noises if im just sitting without the engine on. I can only hear the noise with the windows down , radio off sitting at idle at a stoplight or something so not much road noise to drown out the noise so its pretty clear where its coming from. Im 98% sure its the mirror because its making the exact noise it makes when you adjust the mirrors with the controls (noise itself isnt anything out o f the norm , just the fact that it does it when not adjsting the mirrors)
Old 09-18-12, 06:47 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

I'm failing to appreciate how it can make the same noise, when the noise is as a result of the motor moving the mirror assembly.

So the noise is only heard with a running engine, and after 10-15 mins?
It's not heard say within 2-3 minutes of running it?
If you'd said the radio was down at 2-3 on the volume level, I'd be suggesting it's interference you're hearing from the tweeters on the dash, if not the two rear door ones as well - but if it is off, then it is unlikely to be them.

What would be worth doing, is using voice memo on your iPhone, assuming it's that and not an Android one - although there may be a free Google Play app that does the same.
I'd turn it on, and when you're next parked up or lengthy stop at the lights, put the mic over the speaker and the door mirror.
That should clearly indicate where it's coming from, if one is more pronounced than the other.
If both are the same, then it's emanating from somewhere else.
Old 09-18-12, 10:05 AM
OnyxGS300
Rookie

Thanks I'll give it a try and see what I come up with.
Old 09-19-12, 06:47 PM
OnyxGS300
Rookie

Took a better look at it ( had someone else drive and I listened out for the noise) and yep noise is definitly coming from the mirror cant explain it. It does it randomly every 15-20 min , only makes the noise for 2-3 seconds though.
Old 09-20-12, 04:06 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

In the panel where all the hidden buttons are, do you have the left or right mirror button lit up?
Assuming it's the same for UK/EU ones, if it is, your mirrors will tilt on selecting reverse.
If it's not, then they won't - so if yours is lit, press whichever one is to cancel it, and see if the noise is still present.

It could be related, or it may not be anything to do with it at all.

Just out of curiosity - if the above is not the solution, try moving the mirrors. Do a full sweep on each, then set again to your preferred position.
Equally set one of the memory buttons, and then throw the mirrors way out of position, and hit the memory button to bring them back to the stored preset.
Obviously check for noise each time doing one of the above, before moving on to the next, to see if any have the slightest effect.
Old 09-21-12, 02:32 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by OnyxGS300
I have searched and searched but can not seem to find anyone else with this type issue. I have a 06' GS430 and for some reason while driving the side mirrors (the passenger side mirror mostly) makes noises for about 2-3 seconds as if its moving or being adjusted even though its not and mirror is in the same position. I really just started to notice it because you cant really hear it with the stereo on or with the exhaust with the windows down. The side mirrors still work as they should ie.. adjust with the controls as they should, tilt down when car is in reverse, return to correct postion once car is back in drive it just makes this noise every 15-20 min while driving. Its more annoying then anything but as mentioned I normally cant even hear it due to listening to the radio. Just inquiring to see if its an issue that could cause bigger problems if ignored.
There is a motor inside the miror assembly that closes or opens the mirror when you are in tight spot. Everytime you turn on the car, that motor will start up and make some grinding noises if the teeth are worn out. You have to remove and disassemble the assembly to check on the teeth or motor. If they are worn out, a new side mirror assembly is needed since you can't buy that motor alone. It happened to me couple months ago with my beloved GS300. I bought the used side mirror assembly on Ebay for around $170 to fix this issue.

After I fixed the mirror, I got into an accident a week later and my GS300 was totaled LOL. I've been looking for another GS350 or LS460 with no lucks so I bought an Acura MDX.