GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Time to say goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 05:51 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron
As I suspected was the case - barely time to warm up fully.
I'd bet that a good treatment with the BG Induction Service and 44K in the tank would see the mpg rise to semi-sensible levels.
Check your oil level too - I've begun to notice a 4-5 mpg hit when the oil is getting low.
But before wiping the dipstick, read the manual.
There's a salient point made about fuel dilution of the oil - so take the car on a good 1-2 hours journey, and then check it after parking up for 5-10 minutes.

I don't know the financials, but I highly doubt with depreciation factored in, the Altima with a potential 25 mpg on her same daily short journeys will be cost neutral, let alone leaving you with more money in your pocket each month.

I'd explore the above options a bit more before signing off on the Altima, as well as sit down and do the maths.
If the Altima works out significantly advantageous - i.e. not a mere $30-40 per month better off - then enjoy and reap the rewards.
I noticed one MPG hit everytime the car is started cold. The MPG display does not stop going down adfter 5 minute driving. So for the OP's case, short distance driving is a problem.

Before the valve srping recall done, my car used to get 27-28 MPG with 50/50 city/hw driving in he summer. Now I don't get those numbers anymore. Gas mileage does down when car gets older.

Now I only get 23-24 mpg with 50/50 driving. ISo I am still within specs.
And the engine is being monitored for oil burning.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 10-14-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-14-12, 06:01 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Probably more to do with a short commute and many stops and starts. Stating you get 4-5 mpg less when oil is a little low is quite peculiar. That one I've never heard nor experienced with any vehicle. May be yours burns more oil than gas until it gets to a specific level, then burns more gas..? JK😁

My wife is in the same boat. Likes her fancy SUVs and sedans but her commute is very short and she traverses the town many times a day for her job. We would love Prius like fuel economy yet could not, or at least have a hard time giving up 300hp performance. And like others have mentioned, if fuel costs are the only factor for purchasing a new car, depending on the situation/deal/vehicle, you could own it for 10 years before the decreased fuel costs would have you breaking even etc.
If you read post #13, I explained that it's not just the fuel costs for my decision.
Old 10-14-12, 08:12 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Probably more to do with a short commute and many stops and starts. Stating you get 4-5 mpg less when oil is a little low is quite peculiar.
As my journeys are much the same, and I drive much the same each time, and from noticing the average having dropped from 32.5 −28.5, as well as slightly higher revs for the same speed, I thought I should check the oil level.
Having been a month since purchase, and being used to barely using much over a whole year in the Accord (TSX), I admit to assuming the great Lexus would be much of the same.

No chance!
It was barely registering minimum on the dipstick, and 1.5L has been put in since.
3K miles into new ownership, and knowing the mpg achievable on a good long run, I'm sufficient;y attuned to be able to detect when something isn't quite spot on.
I'm now showing the same mpg again, and when I get a chance to be on level ground, I will check the dipstick.
I fully expect it to be reading low, indicating indeed, that it does have an excessive oil burning issue, which I'll be monitoring once it gets a flush and full refill of new oil.
Old 10-14-12, 08:15 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LenniePaz
If you read post #13, I explained that it's not just the fuel costs for my decision.
Yep, now that you've given us the background story, the decision makes all the more sense.
Hope she's as happy with it as she was with her '09 one.

Last edited by Boron; 10-15-12 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-14-12, 08:55 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Originally Posted by LenniePaz
The fuel cost comment was a general comment not targeted to you Lennie - mostly at my current decision to stick with our current vehicle etc. I know all too well what it's like to have the wife "hating" her vehicle..... Lets just say I no longer "pick" her vehicles. I'll make/close the deal but the choice is all hers..

Good luck with the Nissan. One of my wife's favorite cars was a Maxima.

Cheers
Old 10-14-12, 10:21 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

I was going to get a Maxima, but my mom actually just traded her 2009 in on a new Altima because that was a pig on gas too. She pretty much has the same commute as my wife. She said the new Altima is way better on gas than her Maxima was.
Old 10-15-12, 12:49 AM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sad you go. GS 350 was nice. I had my car and loved it. I always drive to my college on freeway. You bought an Altima with I4. Different from GS350. Your wife go to work on city driving?