GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Time to say goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 08:48 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to say goodbye

It's been great being a member here, but it's time to move on. I'm trading in my GS350 for a 2013 Altima 2.5 SL. My wife was the main driver and can't deal with the 14 mpg she's getting going back and forth to work(all city driving). Not to mention premium gas is well over $4 in my area. I would just like to thank everyone on here for being great people and answering any questions I've posted.
Old 10-13-12, 11:20 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea the new altima is nice and gets awesome mpgs, Adios!!!
Old 10-13-12, 11:52 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

the Altima is a great car! Have fun with it, and farewell
Old 10-13-12, 03:38 PM
Blacknot
Rookie

I had an Altima an bought a Tsx to replace it. The Lexus is a nice car but the mileage sucks. We take my Fiancé Tsx on long trips it gets 30mpg vs my Gs430 at 22mpg
Old 10-13-12, 04:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i ALMOST SWALLOWED MY GUM WHEN i READ THE OPENING POST.
A GS for an Altima?
I can't see it but good luck and see ya round.
Old 10-13-12, 05:47 PM
Macoyle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Altima is a pretty nice car. On par with lexus? I would say a 2013 Altima is pretty close to an 07 gs350 as far as looks and layout, ride quality and drivetrain aren't there but mpg has the lexus beat hands down
Old 10-13-12, 11:41 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ice350
i ALMOST SWALLOWED MY GUM WHEN i READ THE OPENING POST.
A GS for an Altima?
I can't see it but good luck and see ya round.
Originally Posted by Macoyle
The new Altima is a pretty nice car. On par with lexus? I would say a 2013 Altima is pretty close to an 07 gs350 as far as looks and layout, ride quality and drivetrain aren't there but mpg has the lexus beat hands down
If you guys think I'm silly enough to believe an Altima is as good a car as a Lexus, then you are totally misled. I'm trying to put my wife in a more practical car that gets better gas mileage.
Old 10-14-12, 08:00 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default You should have upgraded to a GS460

and get this MGP. All the power without having to sacrifice efficiency.

Old 10-14-12, 09:18 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
and get this MGP. All the power without having to sacrifice efficiency.

Damn, if my GS got that kind of mileage, I would keep it. I should put up a pic of my mpg, which sits at 14 mpg.
Old 10-14-12, 10:01 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

The Altima makes practical sense considering its a brand new car vs a 6yr. old Lexus.

I'm very curious to why you only get 14mpg on your GS. Are you going off the car's computer calculations alone? I have an AWD and i can do anywhere from 21-24 mpg and I'm lowered with 20's/exhaust...etc.
Old 10-14-12, 10:07 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by msgs350
The Altima makes practical sense considering its a brand new car vs a 6yr. old Lexus.

I'm very curious to why you only get 14mpg on your GS. Are you going off the car's computer calculations alone? I have an AWD and i can do anywhere from 21-24 mpg and I'm lowered with 20's/exhaust...etc.
My wife drives back and forth to work about 10 miles round trip. I'm sure it would get better gas mileage if we took it on the highway once in awhile. My mother just bought a new Altima and is getting 28 mpg with about 95% city driving.
Old 10-14-12, 03:31 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I suspected was the case - barely time to warm up fully.
I'd bet that a good treatment with the BG Induction Service and 44K in the tank would see the mpg rise to semi-sensible levels.
Check your oil level too - I've begun to notice a 4-5 mpg hit when the oil is getting low.
But before wiping the dipstick, read the manual.
There's a salient point made about fuel dilution of the oil - so take the car on a good 1-2 hours journey, and then check it after parking up for 5-10 minutes.

I don't know the financials, but I highly doubt with depreciation factored in, the Altima with a potential 25 mpg on her same daily short journeys will be cost neutral, let alone leaving you with more money in your pocket each month.

I'd explore the above options a bit more before signing off on the Altima, as well as sit down and do the maths.
If the Altima works out significantly advantageous - i.e. not a mere $30-40 per month better off - then enjoy and reap the rewards.
Old 10-14-12, 04:56 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boron
I'd bet that a good treatment with the BG Induction Service and 44K in the tank would see the mpg rise to semi-sensible levels.
Check your oil level too - I've begun to notice a 4-5 mpg hit when the oil is getting low.
But before wiping the dipstick, read the manual.
There's a salient point made about fuel dilution of the oil - so take the car on a good 1-2 hours journey, and then check it after parking up for 5-10 minutes.

I don't know the financials, but I highly doubt with depreciation factored in, the Altima with a potential 25 mpg on her same daily short journeys will be cost neutral, let alone leaving you with more money in your pocket each month.

I'd explore the above options a bit more before signing off on the Altima, as well as sit down and do the maths.
If the Altima works out significantly advantageous - i.e. not a mere $30-40 per month better off - then enjoy and reap the rewards.
There's more to just the gas mileage. I had initially bought an '07 Pearl White GS350 that my wife LOVED. I had all kinds of problems with the car so the dealership took it back and gave me the '08 that I have now. The day I brought it home, my wife despised the color (Verdigris Mica). I took her out of an '09 Altima when I bought the Lexus and she was sad to see it go. I'm never going to win unless I put her back in an Altima. She drives the car 95% of the time, so she's the one that needs to be happy.Do I prefer having a Lexus over an Altima, ABSOLUTELY. But anyone here who is married, knows it's not worth the agg when you have an unhappy wife.
Old 10-14-12, 05:02 PM
roadpaste
Driver School Candidate

Yes, when buying or replacing a car, always consider all of the math. (Purchase price, insurance, maintenance... ). You can buy a lot of gas, even at 4 bucks a gallon, for the cost of the average new car.
Old 10-14-12, 05:48 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Originally Posted by Boron
Probably more to do with a short commute and many stops and starts. Stating you get 4-5 mpg less when oil is a little low is quite peculiar. That one I've never heard nor experienced with any vehicle. May be yours burns more oil than gas until it gets to a specific level, then burns more gas..? JK😁

My wife is in the same boat. Likes her fancy SUVs and sedans but her commute is very short and she traverses the town many times a day for her job. We would love Prius like fuel economy yet could not, or at least have a hard time giving up 300hp performance. And like others have mentioned, if fuel costs are the only factor for purchasing a new car, depending on the situation/deal/vehicle, you could own it for 10 years before the decreased fuel costs would have you breaking even etc.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye