GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

60k maintenance -- question re brake fluid and spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 06:00 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 60k maintenance -- question re brake fluid and spark plugs

Hey guys. I've done a bunch of research, but want to make sure I have this right. I have a 2006 GS430, currently sitting at 60,500 miles.

My dealer is quoting me $400 for the 60k service which includes oil change, tire rotation, brake fluid drain and fill (not sure if it's a true flush), engine and cabin air filters, and a bunch of checking of this and that. Spark plugs are also recommended, and that's an additional $300.

Here's the question. I can do the air filters on my own, and don't really care about all the checking. I really just need an oil change and tire rotation (which will cost me about $75 as opposed to $400). Is the brake fluid change really necessary? I mean, isn't the brake fluid drained and refilled when you get new brakes? Why would you need to drain and refill brake fluid between brake jobs?

Also, what about the spark plugs? The car seems to be running fine, getting good gas mileage, is responsive, etc. Why would I want to screw with that if they're not bad yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

e

EDIT -- I just checked my car's service history (I am the second owner), and the brake fluid was flushed at 35,000 miles (about 25,000 miles ago). Also, the previous owner did a 15,000 service at 45,000 miles, and both the engine and cabin air filters were replaced at that time (so, about 15,000 miles ago).

Last edited by e-man; 10-16-12 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 06:25 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's your car - you can spend as much or as little as you want on it.
Alternatively, given the car is now 6 years old, unless the US market demands such cars be maintained by main dealers, you're free to have the service log stamped by an independent charging a lower hourly rate, and swapping out OE filters for 3rd party ones (OE spec or higher?) at a lower cost.

Fluid should be changed every 2 years at the very least - 18 months, but will depend on usage.

We've done the plugs argument on here already - so have one or two pulled and assessed or just pony up the indy charge for doing them, if you don't go with the main dealer, and forget about it, since it's one of the many costs involved with long term car ownership.
Old 10-16-12, 06:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the prices because money isn't the determining factor here. I'm just trying to figure out what is really necessary. The spark plugs seem to be working fine, do they really need to be changed? The brakes feel great and the fluid was changed 25,000 miles ago, can't this wait until I change the pads next time?
Old 10-16-12, 07:08 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

I'm sure there are tests that could be done on the brake fluid to determine its state versus new fluid - but will it be cheaper than just changing the fluid?
Fluid is never conditional upon pads - the two are wholly and entirely separate concerns.

As for the plugs - pull a couple and see what they look like.
Alternatively, leave them, save on the cost until you get symptoms of misfiring or poor mpg - otherwise, get them done and forget about them until you're sitting with 120K on the odometer, assuming you'll still have the car at that point.

If you want someone to tell you they're fine or past their prime, have an indy look them over and give you his professional opinion.
If you're using a main dealer, then ask how much they're charging for the plugs, and compare that to how much they'd cost through Sewell's member discount scheme.
See if they'll match them, saving you postage as well.

Bottom line, your car is due one of its major services, the manufacturer has recommended the various replacements and visual checks be done to make sure the car is roadworthy and working as it should.
If you want to scrimp on some things for whatever reason, that's your call.
You shouldn't be relying on other people to make decisions for you.
Old 10-16-12, 07:11 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

I like to change brake fluid annually.

It absorbs moisture. Moisture reduces the boiling point of the fluid and causes corrosion in the brake system. Neither are good things. How long ago was 25k miles?
Old 10-16-12, 07:20 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have high-compression engines. The plugs, although probably still fine, need to be reliable in order to avoid misfires and potentially greater problems. Plenty of owners have gone 100k+ miles without issues but it comes down to peace of mind. Personally, I think the spark plug change is a easy DIY job. I did them on my IS. Purchased the plugs from Sewell for ~ $75 and did it in under two hours.

Brake fluid needs to be changed every 30k miles. Brake fluid attracts water and becomes contaminated over time making your brakes less effective.

What I would ask for is the oil change, tire rotation, and brake fluid flush. It will probably cost under $200 and then do the spark plug change yourself. However, that $300 quote for the spark plugs is actually pretty cheap. I've seen quotes over $650.
Old 10-16-12, 07:31 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just change the filters yourself, it's easy to do and cheaper.
Change your brake fluid every 24 months, probably shouldn't do this yourself.
Get the plugs done at 100k and get them done at the dealer unless doing it yourself. At least buy the plugs at the dealer because I can't count how many times I've had to pull out the wrong plugs gotten at an indy shop or even Toyota dealers and put the right ones in.
Don't buy the "packaged" service deals, just do single line items and you'll spend much less.
Old 10-16-12, 08:18 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks guys. Can someone tell me whether a brake job typically includes a drain and refill of the brake fluid? The reason I ask is because I think I need brakes soon and there's no sense changing the fluid now if it's done anyway when the brakes are done.

Last edited by e-man; 10-16-12 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 09:27 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks guys. Can someone tell me whether a brake job typically includes a drain and refill of the brake fluid? The reason I ask is because I think I need brakes soon and there's no sense changing the fluid now if it's done anyway when the brakes are done.
Nope, brake job is usually just replacing the pads and sometimes they'll try and talk you into resurfacing the rotors (almost never necessary). Flushing the fluid would typically be a separate service.
Old 10-16-12, 09:50 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Brake fluid: you can try to find some brake contamination stripes. Test the fluid and see if you need it flushed. If not you can just bleed the brakes. You'll get some of the old fluid out, plus the air that could be trapped in the system.

Spark plugs: How do you drive your car? Spirited or kind of reserve. If it's more towards reserve side i would wait another service or 2. If you are a handy man, pull the plugs and see if it needs to be changed. Don't bother having the dealership do it. They will charge you the same, and most likely say you will need it since you have the car apart already.

Vehicle inspection: They check for leaks, rusted components, loose components,or damage. If you haven't had any accidents or recently body work done there should not be anything thing damaged. Leaks can be easily monitored. Check your fluids regularly(at each 5,000 miles) and you'll know if you have a leak or not.

Airfilter: I wouldn't change unless it's dirty.
Cabin: I would change if it got clogged with dirt or the a/c starts to smell.

i hope this helps!
Old 10-17-12, 08:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks again for all the helpful responses. I dropped off the car this morning and ended up doing an oil change, tire rotation and brake fluid flush. They quoted me $75 for the brake fluid flush, which is probably a little on the expensive side, but it's fine, and much better than paying $400 for a 60k service for things I don't need. I'll end up replacing the air filters myself.

e
Old 10-17-12, 10:35 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks again for all the helpful responses. I dropped off the car this morning and ended up doing an oil change, tire rotation and brake fluid flush. They quoted me $75 for the brake fluid flush, which is probably a little on the expensive side, but it's fine, and much better than paying $400 for a 60k service for things I don't need. I'll end up replacing the air filters myself.

e
$75 for the brake fluid flush is CHEAP! Even the indy's around here charge more than that. I paid $130 at the Lexus dealer here on my IS and was quoted $90 by a local shop.