GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rough Idle & Odd Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 07:40 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough Idle & Odd Vibration

Ok guys, so this is very weird but my car has some weird vibrating problems..

First off the car vibrates very little when idled

Also vibrates a bit mild before coming to a full stop

Also vibrates when im at a complete stop when i pull the windows up button (windows are already up but when i pull it up it vibrates hard for like 2 seconds) try it?

All of this vibration does stop after the car is warmed up, but the thing is im worried because its not even cold here in (houston, tx). The windows thing does happened after the car is warmed up tho. And the vibration before a complete stop happens every so often...

I'm very concerns because i know all of this isn't suppose to happen.. Seeking help. Anyone please chime in?

I'm about to do a 120k Service, Brakes, brake oil, resurfacing rotors (mine are warped,)engine oil, spark plugs, filters, and maybe a transmission oil drain & fill.

Riding a 2006 GS300 RWD coming to 110k miles.

Last edited by 0975788; 10-18-12 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 07:46 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which model have you?
Have you read any of the recent threads about carbon build up and misfires?
Old 10-18-12, 09:00 AM
Driver School Candidate

2006 GS300 RWD 110K miles

How do i check the carbon build up? I recently done a throttle bottle clean like couple of months ago.

And i dont think the car is misfiring, but i could be wrong, can i just go to autozone to run a test to see if its misfiring?
Old 10-18-12, 09:43 AM
Driver School Candidate

I just read about the Recall on GS300 and misfires. But i havent received a letter How can i request this? Im at 110,000 miles and no more warranty. I want to get a check up and what not but im broke and im a college student, really cant afford to pay big bucks.. And i dont want to sell the car. Lexus vehicles are precious. I would just hate to see it having problems or selling my car...

I checked my lexusdriver.com for recalls but none for my car yet?
Is there any way i can bring the car to the dealer and ask them about a recall or TSB?
Old 10-18-12, 10:35 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you had a check engine light on at all? If so... go to dealership and they can start the process for you. Hopefully you have a good dealership to deal with.
Old 10-18-12, 10:41 AM
Driver School Candidate

It was on a few months back but that was due to a loose fuel cap. I replaced that and it was fixed.

My question is how can i bring it up and get it started without having to pay for a check up or anything else.?
I mean im willing to pay but then again not for something so major and could be fixed due to lexus recall or whatever it is.
Old 10-18-12, 01:32 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

A penniless student with barely any nickels to rub together, yet somehow manages to find themselves driving and fuelling a $12-15K car? The mind boggles at how people seem to square that circle!
So you've stretched yourself financially to own a 3GS instead of something cheaper and more affordable (with money left over in case it needed something fixed), now seeks options to fix said expensive car......

1) If you're good looking, find a quiet street corner to ply your trade.
2) If you've a knack with vaults, find one to crack open and "borrow a few dollars".
3) Sell something you also have that can't really afford - iPhone 4 for example.
4) Set up a lemonade stall on the front lawn.
5) Don't pay your rent - sleep in the car/friend's couch
6) Sell the car and buy something you can afford to run and maintain.
7) Phone each Lexus dealership (if the previous one laughs before hanging up) and ask if they would offer a good will check/diagnosis/estimate - you might be back at option 6 at that point.
Old 10-18-12, 05:44 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron
A penniless student with barely any nickels to rub together, yet somehow manages to find themselves driving and fuelling a $12-15K car? The mind boggles at how people seem to square that circle!
So you've stretched yourself financially to own a 3GS instead of something cheaper and more affordable (with money left over in case it needed something fixed), now seeks options to fix said expensive car......

1) If you're good looking, find a quiet street corner to ply your trade.
2) If you've a knack with vaults, find one to crack open and "borrow a few dollars".
3) Sell something you also have that can't really afford - iPhone 4 for example.
4) Set up a lemonade stall on the front lawn.
5) Don't pay your rent - sleep in the car/friend's couch
6) Sell the car and buy something you can afford to run and maintain.
7) Phone each Lexus dealership (if the previous one laughs before hanging up) and ask if they would offer a good will check/diagnosis/estimate - you might be back at option 6 at that point.
And your post helps the original poster how? Pointless...

0975788 - Good luck with a fix. You will most likely need to get a shop to diagnose the issue then see if you can do the work to fix it yourself.
Old 10-18-12, 07:51 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UTGS400
And your post helps the original poster how? Pointless...

0975788 - Good luck with a fix. You will most likely need to get a shop to diagnose the issue then see if you can do the work to fix it yourself.
I'd say giving him 7 ideas to get money or ask for a favour was a bit more than pointless - but that's your opinion.
Of course, a savvy reader wouldn't need to be informed that most were with a tongue firmly wedged in one's cheek, that much would be fairly self-evident.

The rest is fair comment given the OP's reply earlier - or are we forbidden from commenting on the reality of living beyond one's means?
Maybe that's the real solution, and one the OP needs to hear rather than a pseudo-sympathetic "there, there".
Old 10-19-12, 01:20 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boron
I'd say giving him 7 ideas to get money or ask for a favour was a bit more than pointless - but that's your opinion.
Of course, a savvy reader wouldn't need to be informed that most were with a tongue firmly wedged in one's cheek, that much would be fairly self-evident.

The rest is fair comment given the OP's reply earlier - or are we forbidden from commenting on the reality of living beyond one's means?
Maybe that's the real solution, and one the OP needs to hear rather than a pseudo-sympathetic "there, there".

Dude get the **** outta here, all im asking is for some help instead of paying THOUSANDS to fix this issue. If you read my responses I said i wouldn't mind paying but i dont want a huge hole in my pocket. So stop being a ****ing smart *** and stating the obvious. If you can't help or think to help me diagnose my problem instead of going to the stealership then ****. get a ****ing life.
Old 10-19-12, 05:34 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

OP, Boron does have a point.

Back in college, I could not afford to fix my old Nissan (cough, Datsun). It needed a new distributor at over 500 or 600 bucks then. My parents could have bailed me out... but they taught me a lesson that has helped me to where I am today. It sat till I could pay cash for it.
In all seriousness... you could sell the GS, buy an older ES or whatever for $4000 and pocket about 10 grand!

Chris Rock did a really good job of putting it another way... "Jay-Z drives a $310,000 Bentley... I drive an Altima with $290,000 in my pocket".

Guess what... if you decide to have kids someday... same thing. Just go over to the IS-F forum and read about all the guys that traded their IS-F for a Sienna or some other van/suv/momanddaddywagon.

Boron looked at the root cause. Is it sexy? No. But its practical.

/end rant

You should be able to go to the dealer and have them test it for free. Mine did. I'm good, for now.
Old 10-19-12, 08:54 AM
KJSmitty
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simmsled
OP, Boron does have a point.
You are correct, Boron did have a point.
But regardless of how much tongue was jammed in your cheek Boron, it did come off wrong. As for the "root cause", I think most would agree it was a quick assumption. Unless one knows the entire story of this individuals situation the rant came off not as humor but rather talking down to someone. We've all had our predicaments, whether perfect or not in our decision making they do provide great life lessons.

PS - I drove a 73 Datsun B210, a 74 Datsun pickup and a 750hp Firebird when I was in college...

As for the OP - definitely sounds like your GS could fall under the recent recall. Hopefully that will be it, Lexus will support and your college studies will be back at the forefront.

Cheers
Old 10-19-12, 09:20 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Ah the B210. So awesome.
Old 10-19-12, 10:35 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Classic carbon buildup symptoms... top engine clean is the stop gap solution, then there is the CSP apparently is a more permanent one. I still haven't heard anything about lexus canada on that issue yet but you're far away from that issue...

But yeah, keep the wheels of capitalism going for us all with the typical mentality of having every cent to your name (and probably many cents to other peoples names) on display instead of in the bank. =)

Last edited by BinaryJay; 10-19-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-19-12, 10:57 AM
Driver School Candidate

I understand that guys, yea and i know he has a valid point but hes stating the obvious. Of course if i cant pay for it i wil sell it. But then again if yall read Im willing to pay a couple hudred vs a couple thousand for this issue. As i read in other threads, dealers are quoting them around 4K and up. I just dont want to go through that cause my warranty is up. And he was being a douche about it

Quick Reply: Rough Idle & Odd Vibration