GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Alignment questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 03:01 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment questions

I have been experiencing some "scratchy" noise coming from front driver wheel area when rolling at speed <10 km/h (the noise may be there at faster speed but I may not be able to hear it). My garage said it's due to the tires so I rotate my summer tires, and the noise is still there. I now have switched to winter tires and the noise is still there. I thought it may be the bearings so I brought it to Lexus dealer today and they assure me it's not the bearings and said it may due to tires or misalignment. I still don't think it's the tires because my winter tires are practically new and what I have already done above. I went home and checked my summer tires, and noticed 2 of the tires showed un-usual wear on the out edges (see pic).
Q:
1) Does the picture below confirm that I will need an alignment?
2) Would a misalignment cause weird noises at the wheel area?
3) Are the alignment prices dictates by the set up? I have quotes ranging from $85 - $200

Thanks for your hepl in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment questions-worn-tire.jpg  
Old 12-07-12, 04:13 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

1. The edge is worn out visibly more than the rest of the tire, I would say yes, the alignment needs to be checked.
2. Don't know about that.
3. I paid $75 for 4-wheel alignment for my AWD at a local tire shop. Make sure you check reviews on the shop before you let them work on your alignment.
Old 12-07-12, 06:36 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
I have been experiencing some "scratchy" noise coming from front driver wheel area when rolling at speed <10 km/h (the noise may be there at faster speed but I may not be able to hear it). My garage said it's due to the tires so I rotate my summer tires, and the noise is still there. I now have switched to winter tires and the noise is still there. I thought it may be the bearings so I brought it to Lexus dealer today and they assure me it's not the bearings and said it may due to tires or misalignment. I still don't think it's the tires because my winter tires are practically new and what I have already done above. I went home and checked my summer tires, and noticed 2 of the tires showed un-usual wear on the out edges (see pic).
Q:
1) Does the picture below confirm that I will need an alignment?
2) Would a misalignment cause weird noises at the wheel area?
3) Are the alignment prices dictates by the set up? I have quotes ranging from $85 - $200

Thanks for your hepl in advance.
I have experienced the same thing. But my front tires have the same abnormal wear but on the inside. So every time when I make a left turn or driving in a circle counter clockwise at speed less than 5 mph, I heard that light grinding noise. Didn't hear much on the right turn or circle in clockwise. I bet in your case, the noise will be more pronounced when you make the right turn.

Another clue is the noise doesn't happen on the wet road. So I think it's the tires. Since I will bring the car in the inspection sticker, I will ask them to take a look at it. They would probably say the same, misalignment.
My car had the alignment done 21K miles ago. So I guess it's due. Will do it in a few weeks with new tires.
My tires are RFT. That even makes the noise louder.

Dealership charges $99.95 after $40 coupon.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 12-07-12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 11:06 PM
yrush
Driver School Candidate

You mentioned the scratchy noise, which to me would indicate a metal noise. An alignment issue, especially excessive toe out can cause a noise but it wouldn't be described as scratchy. Maybe squealing or rubbing.

Have you had brakes does recently? Maybe the brake pad shims or the backing plate is rubbing on something.
Old 12-08-12, 05:33 AM
tekkie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arnieosp
1. The edge is worn out visibly more than the rest of the tire, I would say yes, the alignment needs to be checked.
2. Don't know about that.
3. I paid $75 for 4-wheel alignment for my AWD at a local tire shop. Make sure you check reviews on the shop before you let them work on your alignment.
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I have experienced the same thing. But my front tires have the same abnormal wear but on the inside. So every time when I make a left turn or driving in a circle counter clockwise at speed less than 5 mph, I heard that light grinding noise. Didn't hear much on the right turn or circle in clockwise. I bet in your case, the noise will be more pronounced when you make the right turn.

Another clue is the noise doesn't happen on the wet road. So I think it's the tires. Since I will bring the car in the inspection sticker, I will ask them to take a look at it. They would probably say the same, misalignment.
My car had the alignment done 21K miles ago. So I guess it's due. Will do it in a few weeks with new tires.
My tires are RFT. That even makes the noise louder.

Dealership charges $99.95 after $40 coupon.
My tires are worn abnormal around the edges on both sides (inside and outside). The noise happens regardless of forward direction. I will test to see if I can hear it backing as well. The reason why I did not think it was the tires because I rotated my summer tires but that did not move the noise to the back and recently I switched to my practically new winter tires and the noise is stiill there.

Originally Posted by yrush
You mentioned the scratchy noise, which to me would indicate a metal noise. An alignment issue, especially excessive toe out can cause a noise but it wouldn't be described as scratchy. Maybe squealing or rubbing.

Have you had brakes does recently? Maybe the brake pad shims or the backing plate is rubbing on something.
Yes, the noise is scratchy/grinding. I have replaced front pads about a year ago and front rotors, rear rotors and rear pads this past summer. Thanks for the clue. I will bring my car back to the brake installer to have them check out.
Old 12-08-12, 09:28 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the rolling make the noise when the road is wet or smooth?
My case, it does not. Also, the noise is more pronounced when the car rolls on left turn.
Hardly hear on straight rollong.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment questions-009.jpg  
Old 12-08-12, 05:43 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Does the rolling make the noise when the road is wet or smooth?
My case, it does not. Also, the noise is more pronounced when the car rolls on left turn.
Hardly hear on straight rollong.
No, the noise is always there regardless of road condition. Your wear is clearly on the inside, but mine is on both sides. How is this posible? Anyways, I brought my car in today to have the Tanabe lowering springs installed instead of waiting until spring since I figure I have to do an alignment anyway (which will be done next week since I was told to let the springs settle in). Long and behold, on my drive back the noise is not there anymore. I guessed Lexus dealer must have not tightened something when they replaced my shock last month.