GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus verus Continental Extreme DWS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 09:36 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus verus Continental Extreme DWS

I doubt anyone has actually compared these two tires, but I figured it was worth a shot to ask. There are a lot of positive comments out there on the DWS, but I'm having a hard time finding any info on the Serenity Plus (probably because it's a relatively new tire). I am getting new tires for my 18s in the next month or so and am looking for a quiet, comfortable ride, with reasonable traction in light snow. I really don't care about performance in terms of handling, cornering, etc. 95% of my miles are highway miles, so smooth, quiet and comfortable is a top priority, along with the ability to handle those handful of days when there's a measurable amount of snow on the ground. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

e
Old 12-09-12, 10:30 PM
yrush
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are comparing two different types of tire. The Continental is an ultra high performance tire and the Bridgestone is a touring all season tire.

If you want the quietest and most comfortable tire go with the Bridgestone. If you want the best dry and wet performance go with the Continental.

I would look at the Bridgestone RE970AS as an another option.
Old 12-10-12, 05:31 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I put the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity on my 2008 GS 350. Great tire. Did much research. Made the right decision. I had Bridgestone Turanza on my previous Infiniti. You will NOT be disappointed.
Old 12-10-12, 05:50 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my experience with Bridgestone, also in IL, is that their all season tires are just OK. There snow/ice tires are incredible. That being said and having tried several tires the DWS is hands down the best tire in your area for the money. Nice ride, great traction in snow, and when/if you need to make a quick move on the tollway the car will handle. Many do not "need" a great handling tire but you also need a tire that fits your driving habits and that "what if" scenario.

I'm running the DWS on three cars currently, one RWD, one FWD, one AWD and I could not be more pleased.

Another good tire is the Micheline Sport A/S Plus but your going to pay ~$100 more for them and the DWS are going to offer the same great traction for less. Both also offer great tread life.

There are also a few threads on here in regards to tires, not many that I can recall on these Bridgestone tires but also take into consideration your location.
Old 12-10-12, 08:07 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I would say DWS over the serenity, but as yrush stated they are two different tires your comparing and will have a different result, I haven't heard anything bad about the DWS. IMO I don't think Bridgestones last long on our cars maybe that's just me, but every Bridgestone I have had never last long.
Old 12-10-12, 08:08 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Hey guys. Thanks for all the helpful responses. One thing forgot to mention is that I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. They are great tires, but just not for me. Like I said, I just cruise along on the highway and very seldomly push the car in terms of performance.

You are correct that these two tires are in different categories, one being an ultra high performance al season tire and the other being a grand touring all season tire. Quiet and comfort is most important to me, and I just need to know that I'm not going to get stuck if there's a few inchces of snow. Most of the roads I drive around Chicago are plowed and salted, and I can count on one hand the number of times it has snowed over the past severa years when the roads are not driveable.

Also, not that this should be a determining factor, but I like to buy my tires at Costco, and they sell Bridgestone and Michelin, but not Contiental, and are currently running a Bridgestone sale.
Old 12-10-12, 10:44 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Take a look at Tirerack.com........you will like the reviews of the Bridgestone Serenity.
Old 12-10-12, 04:14 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Originally Posted by ironman50
I put the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity on my 2008 GS 350. Great tire. Did much research. Made the right decision. I had Bridgestone Turanza on my previous Infiniti. You will NOT be disappointed.
Greetings ironman,

I'm in the same boat as e-man, looking for tires, more into smooth quiet ride than slalom course action. I had the DWS's on my Acura and thought they were fine. I have Bridgestone 970s on the 350 right now and they are terribly noisy yet near the wear bars. My problem with Bridgestone is every set I have had flat spotted terribly-the 970's included yet they the least..

How are the Serenity's - do they flat spot after sitting cold or hot etc?

Thanks
Old 12-10-12, 05:42 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Here are the tread patterns for each tire (Conti on left, Serenity on the right). The tread patterns are similar, but it looks like the Conti's would be better in the snow, and the Serenity would be smoother/quieter.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-12, 08:28 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The contis are incredible in the snow, I have them on my XJ8 and love them, amazing tires. That being said, they are performance oriented.

I have driven on the Turanza Serenity and I didn't like them at all. Mushy, not much feedback, etc. That being said they were very smooth riding and quiet, if that's what you value, there you go. If performance is important, get the DWSs.

The Serenity ought OT be decent in the snow when combined with AWD. My car was fantastic in the snow with a set of awful Goodyear Eagle RS-As
Old 12-13-12, 07:08 AM
Tuptut
Driver School Candidate

I've had bridgestones installed on my wife's GS , she had not clue that the car could be that much quiter with new tires. Her old OEM runflats were done , never again !. After research i decided for comfort and quite tire (what she wanted) and bridgestone Turanza Serenity definitively gives you that. I can't compare to DWS , i had them on my audi while ago and loved them too, but my A4 was sport tuned and it was whole different ride all together. Both are great tires. Also she has now 20K miles on these tires and they are holding up really good (with annual rotation). Snow traction is great too... Money really well invested.
Old 12-13-12, 07:37 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tuptut
I've had bridgestones installed on my wife's GS , she had not clue that the car could be that much quiter with new tires. Her old OEM runflats were done , never again !. After research i decided for comfort and quite tire (what she wanted) and bridgestone Turanza Serenity definitively gives you that. I can't compare to DWS , i had them on my audi while ago and loved them too, but my A4 was sport tuned and it was whole different ride all together. Both are great tires. Also she has now 20K miles on these tires and they are holding up really good (with annual rotation). Snow traction is great too... Money really well invested.
Thanks for the response. I assume you're referring to the Serenity and not the Serenity Plus, right? Also, is your wife's car AWD or RWD? Thanks for the input.

e
Old 12-15-12, 06:21 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

e-man,

Glad to hear someone finally agrees with me on the Bridgestone Serenity tire.

Ironman50
Old 12-15-12, 06:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

the RUN FLAT tires that come on the GS are horrible, there is NO tire you can compare them to. ANY tire you put on this car is going to give it a plush ride compared to the run flats lmao. My dedicated snow tires I put on the OEM rims when I upgraded to aftermarket for the summer months was plush so maybe everyone should go buy snow tires and just use them year round

also as e-man has asked is the car AWD? because that is a different compared to the op's V8 RWD car in IL My guess, since everyone in the midwest is "scared" to drive a RWD car in the winter months that the car from NY is AWD but I will hold my breath to see if its a RWD. If its AWD you can toss out what they experienced because the tire "could" be horrible in the snow/ice on a RWD....
Old 12-15-12, 07:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

e-man,

these members all ran the same tire in Chicago. Myself, Neurocity, cowsgomoo, all driving on these crappy roads year round. I was the firs to "try" the DWS and they followed based on my review and price. ALL 3 of these cars are/were RWD.

My BMW, RWD, that replaced my 06 GS430 is on the DWS (I swapped the touring tires that were on the car from prior owner)... Funny the car actually handled better with what was on the car but I tossed them for a better all around tire.

Another suggestion that would be helpful is post in the Chicago region to see what other locals are using and real life experience. It won't get any better then this to see what tires are doing good and what didn't so you can narrow your search down as snow is just around the corner

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus verus Continental Extreme DWS