GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Warranty Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 05:24 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Concerns

Hey CL members i am a little concerned that the dealership may not do my car under warranty even though its a 2011 because i have aftermarket suspension on and there been a loud pop thats been coming when i turn the steering wheel to either sides so now i'm deciding to put my car to OEM setup on the suspension and also the wheels. My main concern is that even after i put the car back to stock i hope they wouldn't say that you had the aftermarket stuff on the car thats why we wouldn't be able to do it under warranty.

http://s1213.beta.photobucket.com/us...df267.mp4.html This is the link to the Video of the Loud pop.

Last edited by 1SLOGS; 12-26-12 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 05:34 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Ya, good idea on putting the suspension back to stock. Because they can say the altered suspension was the cause of the popping. They wont void your warranty because that is illegal, but they are able void any suspension related parts, so long as they can prove the part you added ruined other parts.
Old 12-26-12, 05:37 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Ya, good idea on putting the suspension back to stock. Because they can say the altered suspension was the cause of the popping. They wont void your warranty because that is illegal, but they are able void any suspension related parts, so long as they can prove the part you added ruined other parts.
So they wouldnt say anything if i have all my Stock parts back on right ?
Old 12-27-12, 12:52 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLOGS
Nope, not if you don't tell them . That pop sounds scary, update us when you get that fixed.
Old 12-27-12, 03:34 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like the steering rack rather than an external noise from the wheel wells or underneath - but hard to say with absolute certainty of course.
Iirc, there's been other members with steering column problem, and unfortunately not cheap to fix.
Have a look at some threads using the search function and see if your symptoms match theirs.
If not, you could have a different symptom for the same ultimate fix - replacement steering mechanism - or it may well be you've something entirely different that's not as costly to put right.

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing the suspension, and I'd even use an independent mechanic to get his impression and whether he feels the suspension has lead to it happening or it was always going to happen irrespective.
Old 12-27-12, 04:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLOGS
as long as they dont find this thread lol

if its something in the suspension and you have an aftermarket suspension then they more than likely will not cover it (again though it depends on what it is).

did the suspension just start doing that when you installed the new suspension or has the new suspension been on for some time?
Old 12-27-12, 08:19 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI

You just reminded me of an old friend of mine and his brand new (at the time) VW GTI. But what was special about this car was it was a super rare color and anniversary edition.

Anyway numb nuts strips the car so we can go drag racing at the track, then slaps in a 100-150 shot nos. He is running insane times for that car, then as he is about to take off the line, the transmission blows apart, and spews fluid all over the track. He's wasnt worried, he had warranty on his Brand New week old car.

He takes the car back to his shop and puts all the stock stuff back in the car, removes any traces of the nitrous. Gets a flat bed tow truck and tows the car to the dealer.

As he shows the car to the service adviser, the adviser shakes his head and then starts laughing. Then all of the sudden the other advisers start to laugh. My friend walks into the service department and finds a pic of his car hanging on the wall showing a rear shot of his car with fluids pouring out. He couldn't deny it because the pic showed his license plate number.
Old 12-27-12, 09:34 AM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boron
That sounds like the steering rack rather than an external noise from the wheel wells or underneath - but hard to say with absolute certainty of course.
Iirc, there's been other members with steering column problem, and unfortunately not cheap to fix.
Have a look at some threads using the search function and see if your symptoms match theirs.
If not, you could have a different symptom for the same ultimate fix - replacement steering mechanism - or it may well be you've something entirely different that's not as costly to put right.

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing the suspension, and I'd even use an independent mechanic to get his impression and whether he feels the suspension has lead to it happening or it was always going to happen irrespective.

if its something in the suspension and you have an aftermarket suspension then they more than likely will not cover it (again though it depends on what it is).

did the suspension just start doing that when you installed the new suspension or has the new suspension been on for some time?
@ Boron I really have no clue of what the sound is and some are saying it maybe my Inner Tie rods and i can hear that pop on my right side when im outside the car and i turn the wheel.

@IXI187IXI Yeah i didnt know about the Lexus people being on here keeping a track and ive had my BCR's on from May onwards and was fine and didnt have any problems after installation.
Old 12-27-12, 09:36 AM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleepy415
Nope, not if you don't tell them . That pop sounds scary, update us when you get that fixed.
Cool and yeah the pop is scary idk what or where its coming from in particular.
Old 12-27-12, 10:15 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

yea they lurk the forums, well at least mine dealer did. they caught a guy in the IS forum trying to get warranty work done when they ran across his build log lol.
Old 12-27-12, 01:33 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i used to have a benz with Bilstein PSS9 coilover, i also get those popping noise after i got my setup with 19inch rims when i make a sharp turn, i ignore it and it was fine for 5 years... before i sold my car i went back to stock the noise went away

and when i do aligment on my car they did mention my driver side tie rod is bent
Old 12-27-12, 10:18 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

yea they lurk the forums, well at least mine dealer did. they caught a guy in the IS forum trying to get warranty work done when they ran across his build log lol.
Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i used to have a benz with Bilstein PSS9 coilover, i also get those popping noise after i got my setup with 19inch rims when i make a sharp turn, i ignore it and it was fine for 5 years... before i sold my car i went back to stock the noise went away

and when i do aligment on my car they did mention my driver side tie rod is bent
Originally Posted by phllipheth
so long as they can prove the part you added ruined other parts.
So i took my car to a Shop that could check out the problem and they actually pinpointed the problem that my car had they put in on a lift and then turned the wheel and they showed me that the Outer TIe rod was hitting my Brake Cover which is behind the Disk Brake and told me that i would need to just replace my outer tie rod. So now i'm just going to compare the prices and get the part and get it done from them. Plus they told me that the main cause to that was hitting a pothole which caused it to Disjoint it from its place and to hit the Brake Cover every time i turn the wheel. The good thing was that it wasn't my Inner tie rod or even my Steering rack. Plus now i remember this pop starting after taking my trip to CT for which i had to Pass NY and had to take the Lincoln tunnel where i had hit a really deep Pothole and ever since that i've realized that this pop started.
Old 12-28-12, 06:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad it worked out, its a fairly cheap part. I would check with Sewell, our vendor, as Im sure they will beat any prices you find on line. Good thing is its any easy part to replace so you should be able to do this yourself or have someone help. Just take it in for an alignment afterwards to make sure its all in check and you don't eat up your tires.
Old 12-29-12, 11:10 AM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
glad it worked out, its a fairly cheap part. I would check with Sewell, our vendor, as Im sure they will beat any prices you find on line. Good thing is its any easy part to replace so you should be able to do this yourself or have someone help. Just take it in for an alignment afterwards to make sure its all in check and you don't eat up your tires.
Yup Now im just going to order the part and get it done as soon as possible.