GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

brake squeak really loud... dealer say they dont' see anything wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 01:51 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default brake squeak really loud... dealer say they dont' see anything wrong..

so i got my car back from 50,000 miles inspection and service, the brake was perfectly fine when i drop the car off (no squeak).

after i got my car back, i saw the paperwork my brakes still have 6mm padding all around and everything is perfectly fine. but after a week of normal driving (i never drive aggressive) i starting to notice really high pitch brake squeak coming from my car, at first i ignore it thinking it will go away, but it gotten worse. so i think something is really wrong i take the car to the dealer again and they have my car overnight, call me the next day say they clean all brake parts again saying they don't see anything unusual and did a few test driving no squeak. they return the car back to me and saying the brakes are still fine.

here is a video, I don't know if you guys can hear but i am sure its coming out from more than one brake

do you guys think the dealer will replace my brakes under warranty even tho they are wear and tear? i have no proof saying the dealer mess up my brake so what are my choices?
Old 12-27-12, 05:37 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My wifes car did this when we got it and I replaced all 4 rotors with slotted rotors and decaled the calipers. Never changed the pads and the squell and squeaks went away. The slotted rotors and decals made this car look race ready.
Old 12-27-12, 06:05 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a TSB for it.
L-SB-0011-11
Search the forum you will find it.
Old 12-27-12, 07:34 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

There is an easy way I think will really help you. Would probably take 25-40 min. I actually just did this today.

You will need anti-squeal coating, and lithium grease

1: Take off the wheel
2: Grab a needle nose pliers, on the front caliper there is a small cotter pin holding the main pin shaft. Pull out the cotter pin
3: Pull out the main shaft, the metal plate should pop out.
4: Pull both brake pads out of caliper
5: Clean the inside of the calipers, the main pin, the metal silencer, and the back side of the pads
5: Apply anti squeal on the metal part of the pads
6: Lightly sand the rotors with say 220 grit sand paper using a cross X's pattern
7: Once the pads have dried, install them back on the caliper
8: lightly spray lithium grease on the main pin shaft and insert it, remember to put on the silencer plate.
9: Put cotter pin back on the main shaft

Enjoy your silent brakes!
Old 12-28-12, 12:23 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
There is an easy way I think will really help you. Would probably take 25-40 min. I actually just did this today.

You will need anti-squeal coating, and lithium grease

1: Take off the wheel
2: Grab a needle nose pliers, on the front caliper there is a small cotter pin holding the main pin shaft. Pull out the cotter pin
3: Pull out the main shaft, the metal plate should pop out.
4: Pull both brake pads out of caliper
5: Clean the inside of the calipers, the main pin, the metal silencer, and the back side of the pads
5: Apply anti squeal on the metal part of the pads
6: Lightly sand the rotors with say 220 grit sand paper using a cross X's pattern
7: Once the pads have dried, install them back on the caliper
8: lightly spray lithium grease on the main pin shaft and insert it, remember to put on the silencer plate.
9: Put cotter pin back on the main shaft

Enjoy your silent brakes!
Thank you sir, you're awesome!
Old 12-31-12, 11:08 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

wow thanks for the reply guys,

nice DIY write up too!, but i think i will bring my car to the dealer to see if the TSIB will be willing to get me a new set of brakes
Old 12-31-12, 11:42 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem. I just changed my brakes out this weekend and its gone. The thing to keep in mind if you do it yourself is be very generous with the anti-squeal grease.
Old 12-31-12, 10:29 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

I've replaced my rotors 3 times already ( every 12k miles ). This is unacceptable.
Old 01-01-13, 04:22 PM
zinn
Driver School Candidate

Had the same brake squeal on my 08' GS350 RWD...took it to the LEXUS dealership and they serviced the brakes...told me someone had put the shims on backwards.. Make sure you are getting it serviced by an authorized LEXUS dealer. Makes a big difference.
Old 01-01-13, 04:53 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Had the same problem. I just changed my brakes out this weekend and its gone. The thing to keep in mind if you do it yourself is be very generous with the anti-squeal grease.
I agree I like to use a thick layer. I like the spray can from permatex.

Also make sure to lube any moving parts, because that is how squeals, squeal from vibration and not enough grease.
Old 01-04-13, 11:26 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zinn
Had the same brake squeal on my 08' GS350 RWD...took it to the LEXUS dealership and they serviced the brakes...told me someone had put the shims on backwards.. Make sure you are getting it serviced by an authorized LEXUS dealer. Makes a big difference.
I used to be confident about the quality of service from dealerships, but at the end of the day, they are just doing a job. They could care less about your car. As long as it makes it out the door, they're good.

I usually do all all the work on my cars as much as possible, but last year I needed a brake change and was swamped at work. Unfortunately I needed rotors this go around. I asked for the standard rotors and low dust pads. Well, I recently had to change my pads early because of the squeal (probably not much anti squeal grease added the last pad change) and I noticed I got standard pads and it looks as if my rotors weren't even changed. I cant say for sure, but they don't look like a part that is less than a year old.

Needless to say, I know dealership mechanics and what happens at the dealership shops. They will even go as far as to break a part on your car and telling you it needs to be replaced. Especially when its slow for them and they aren't getting enough work, they "create" work for them so they can get paid.

Bottom line, I don't trust dealership mechanics as far as I can throw them, which isn't far!
Old 02-28-13, 07:15 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Someone had asked for the TSB numbers and info previously, so here goes

L-SB-0011-11

Applies to:

2007-11 GS350 & GS450h
2006-07 GS430
2008-11 GS460
2006-11 IS350
2010-11 IS350c

This TSB is for 2WD models only... Some IS & GS models may exhibit a squeak type noise from front brakes under light braking. Updated pads, rotors, and shims have been developed to remedy the problem...

(Sorry that part numbers are not provided at this time)

and then the other bulletin

L-SB-0040-09

2007-2008 GS350 AWD

During light brake application, some AWD 2007-08 GS350 may exhibit a squeaking type noise from front brakes... Updated rotors, pads, and shims are available

NOTE: This TSB includes that the noise is made during "cold" weather conditions, and the first one does not...

Hope this helps for people needing the info

i did some search people say L-SB-0040-09 would be the right TSB, do i just go to dealer and give them this TSB number? or is there a offical Lexus PDF or webpage that i can print out and show to my SA? I am due for an oil change so might as well get it over with
Old 03-01-13, 05:04 PM
Ziggy716
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info thanks everybody, as my car is exhibiting this very problem
Old 03-04-13, 11:06 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ziggy716
Great info thanks everybody, as my car is exhibiting this very problem
my dealer said they don't do any TSB on any car that is pass 4 years 50k miles -___- kinda BS to me, my car is CPO
Old 03-04-13, 12:40 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you for a fact that a tsb on a cpo can be done. Call Lexus customer satisfaction and take up the matter with them

Quick Reply: brake squeak really loud... dealer say they dont' see anything wrong..