GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problem with the dealer about rare sunshade in GS350 (Please help me)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 07:10 PM
JstGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the dealer about rare sunshade in GS350 (Please help me)

Hello folks,

Here’s the problem and I need your input please…. I’ve a 2008 GS350 with a rear sunshade that would not go all the way up (It goes more than half the window), and all the way down when I push the button normally. I was at the Lexus dealership to do a routine maintenance and I told them about the problem above.

Here’s what happened, they called me and said that I have to replace the whole sunshade for more than $1800, I declined the repair at this time. However, when I went back to the dealer to get my car, I was surprised that the sunshade stuck in the middle of the window and I can’t control it anymore, I pushed the button several times, and it doesn’t move at all. (They just killed it, it is dead now)!

I told them about that, and the manager refused to neither to get it back as it was nor to replace it for free. He stated that it was broken when I brought it to the dealership and all the sudden the motor dead. (The manager and customer advisor agreed that it is worse than before now).

I called the headquarter and reported the issue. The headquarter will talk to the dealer and get back to me soon!

Guys, I need your input/advise/suggestions/ anything to help me out!
What do you (guys) think gonna happen?

Thanks a lot in advance, guys…

Last edited by JstGS350; 03-01-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 09:42 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 778 Likes on 671 Posts

There was a post not to long ago, he basically took out the motor and found a missing chunk out of the plastic gear. I just simply epoxied the gear back on and rebolted the motor.
Old 03-01-13, 05:01 AM
ADI$A69
Rookie

I have a sun shade in my 07 as well, but i didnt know it was "Rare." haha
Old 03-01-13, 09:43 AM
JstGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KAZEMBE
I have a sun shade in my 07 as well, but i didnt know it was "Rare." haha
"typing error" hahaha....Take a good care of it, it costs more than $1800...
Old 03-01-13, 09:47 AM
JstGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
There was a post not to long ago, he basically took out the motor and found a missing chunk out of the plastic gear. I just simply epoxied the gear back on and rebolted the motor.
Thanks for sharing, I saw the post...
Do you think the headquarter gonna replace it for me?
Old 03-01-13, 12:04 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JstGS350
Thanks for sharing, I saw the post...
Do you think the headquarter gonna replace it for me?
Give it a shot! If it does not pan out for you, you can try the method the other thread suggested with the epoxy. Or you can undo the motor just to lower the sun shade so it drops to the low position. I have the sunshade and I never use it lol
Old 03-03-13, 06:19 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used it a handful of times... with tint on the rear it is kind of redundant but just a cool thing to watch. If mine ever breaks and I can't fix it myself I'll force it down, snap it off, whatever...

God, why can't they just use metal gears in stuff any more it would add what 5 dollars to the total cost of the car for all plastic gears to be metal instead?

I can't wait for some magical all electric vehicle held together with bolts instead of clips and with metal gears instead of plastic. Better yet, no moving parts where are my hovercars that they promised me when I was a kid...
Old 03-04-13, 08:59 AM
goober8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

The previous thread can be found here. I was the one who posted it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...shade-fix.html

Basically, what you have experienced is exactly the same as mine. Mine would go half way up and down. The main gear (made of steel) has a broken teeth. And for some reason, it gets lodged and prevents your sunshade from extending fully open. Subsequently, when the dealership tried to handle the sunshade by pulling/ tugging, it made it stuck open and wont go down anymore.

Cheapest option is to take it apart and find that missing piece, hoping that it's not shattered into small bits and use the strongest steel epoxy you can find. However, this method might not last very long, and depends on the extent of gear damage that you have sustained.

Of course, the best option is to just replace new.
Old 03-04-13, 09:01 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

There is a company that sells electrical gears, I wonder if they have one that will fit.
Old 03-04-13, 09:25 AM
JstGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by goober8
Hi Guys,

The previous thread can be found here. I was the one who posted it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...shade-fix.html

Basically, what you have experienced is exactly the same as mine. Mine would go half way up and down. The main gear (made of steel) has a broken teeth. And for some reason, it gets lodged and prevents your sunshade from extending fully open. Subsequently, when the dealership tried to handle the sunshade by pulling/ tugging, it made it stuck open and wont go down anymore.

Cheapest option is to take it apart and find that missing piece, hoping that it's not shattered into small bits and use the strongest steel epoxy you can find. However, this method might not last very long, and depends on the extent of gear damage that you have sustained.

Of course, the best option is to just replace new.
Thank you so much for sharing...I'll give it a try this weekend. I will get back to you if I face any problem, if you don't mind
Old 03-04-13, 09:27 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Perhaps if you call around, you can find one used. Given that some folks who have this option might not use it ever, there might be some floating around in the wrecking yards in mint condition.

The other option might be to tint you car windows. I cannot see myself using this option much (even though I have it) except for novelty, as the tint does a much better job.
Old 03-04-13, 09:27 AM
JstGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
There is a company that sells electrical gears, I wonder if they have one that will fit.
Any names in mind?
Old 03-04-13, 09:31 AM
JstGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I've used it a handful of times... with tint on the rear it is kind of redundant but just a cool thing to watch. If mine ever breaks and I can't fix it myself I'll force it down, snap it off, whatever...

God, why can't they just use metal gears in stuff any more it would add what 5 dollars to the total cost of the car for all plastic gears to be metal instead?

I can't wait for some magical all electric vehicle held together with bolts instead of clips and with metal gears instead of plastic. Better yet, no moving parts where are my hovercars that they promised me when I was a kid...
This is how they make money my friend...Simply replace anything! It costs more than $1800!
Old 03-04-13, 09:37 AM
JstGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redbaron
Perhaps if you call around, you can find one used. Given that some folks who have this option might not use it ever, there might be some floating around in the wrecking yards in mint condition.

The other option might be to tint you car windows. I cannot see myself using this option much (even though I have it) except for novelty, as the tint does a much better job.
When I told the dealership about the problem, I wasn't planing to fix it at that time, just wanna know what the problem is and the costs, but they made it worse and they didn't add any good!

I will call around and hopefully I can find a good one...Thanks for sharing
Old 03-04-13, 10:27 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

just google search for the part. Call dealership and find out the part number for your car. It might be on ebay as well. Plenty of places to search. I once found a door for a previous car that was the same model and color. Ended up shipping it from east coast to west coast and the total was under $500. Your mechanism is going to be way smaller and lighter than an entire door.