GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

So, I did something about my seat cushion (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 11:41 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteinPA
Figured out the wire, I am now DONE! Like Simm said patience and time. Seat feels like new. Thanks for the help. Now on to brakes.
lol

Nice! Congrats man!

Its a great feeling.
Old 12-25-13, 12:24 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Bump for recent inquiry
Old 12-25-13, 12:51 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting in my thread. So I assume that since I am not replacing the actual foam, I shouldn't need to take apart the leather and foam assembly? All I want to do is swap the cushions from left to right and vice versa. Or is this not possible because of other things?
Old 12-27-13, 10:15 AM
cloud777x
Rookie

thanks for the post simm.

I am not seeing to how cool air vent flow is improved by changing the cushion??? my 08 gs350 cool air seat is weak.. after sitting on a 2012 lexus IS i can really tell the difference... the dealer tells me the technology has made improvements over the years....
Old 02-11-14, 01:04 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

how much you weight btw
Old 02-11-14, 07:05 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjk
Thanks for posting in my thread. So I assume that since I am not replacing the actual foam, I shouldn't need to take apart the leather and foam assembly? All I want to do is swap the cushions from left to right and vice versa. Or is this not possible because of other things?
You cannot swap left to right.

Originally Posted by cloud777x
thanks for the post simm.

I am not seeing to how cool air vent flow is improved by changing the cushion??? my 08 gs350 cool air seat is weak.. after sitting on a 2012 lexus IS i can really tell the difference... the dealer tells me the technology has made improvements over the years....
It is improved if any of the tunnels/holes are collapsed. Opens up the tunnels.

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
how much you weight btw
The original owner, I believe, was around 280-ish. I'm about 190.
Old 02-11-14, 02:05 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

oh god i am still so tempted to do it... do i just yank the plastic panel off? and then the leather seat cover will be loose? what is the O ring about? i kept reading it is it connected to seat cushion and leeather cover?

so

1st step: adjust seat waay back, and angle
2nd: pop off plastic panel
3rd: pop off plastic panel where the controls are
4th: then so on?
Old 02-11-14, 03:04 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

If you get stuck, throw up a post or send me a PM and I'll help as much as I can.

It isn't hard if you take your time and don't force anything.
Old 02-11-14, 03:11 PM
spooled951
Driver School Candidate

wow unreal great job
Old 02-11-14, 03:56 PM
spooled951
Driver School Candidate

good thinking on your part
Old 08-27-15, 03:23 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

2015, still thinking of getting into this job...

now i got a secondary car to drive to work incase i mess anything up or really need to take my time.

hopefully someone nice enough to post step by step photos or video.

just found a youtube video on a 2006 GS i believed, man those guy took the whole seat off, not sure if you have to go this route

Last edited by Brabusx2; 08-27-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 07:53 PM
tatumjonj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just stumbled across this thread and thought I would add something for anybody in the future considering doing this task. The "little o rings" he's talking about are not o-rings, obviously. They're called hog rings. You don't remove and reuse them because that takes WAY too much time. You purchase a good quality set of hog ring pliers and some hog rings off eBay. Basically they're like heavy duty staples that form into a somewhat circular shape with the aid of hog rings pliers. To remove them just cut them off with some heavy duty dikes. Almost all seats use this system of installation. The foam pad typically has wires (not electrical think more like thin rebar) running through the pad. The seat cover in the areas where it "tucks" into the pad has wires sewed into the seams. The hog rings connect the wires in the upholstery to the wires in the pad to give it a tight, good fitting, professional look. I'm sure if you search the internet, you'll find many videos on how to use hog rings on car seats. But just to let everybody know, there's a proper tool for this job which makes it about 1000 times easier.
Old 11-19-15, 05:35 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tatumjonj
I just stumbled across this thread and thought I would add something for anybody in the future considering doing this task. The "little o rings" he's talking about are not o-rings, obviously. They're called hog rings. You don't remove and reuse them because that takes WAY too much time. You purchase a good quality set of hog ring pliers and some hog rings off eBay. Basically they're like heavy duty staples that form into a somewhat circular shape with the aid of hog rings pliers. To remove them just cut them off with some heavy duty dikes. Almost all seats use this system of installation. The foam pad typically has wires (not electrical think more like thin rebar) running through the pad. The seat cover in the areas where it "tucks" into the pad has wires sewed into the seams. The hog rings connect the wires in the upholstery to the wires in the pad to give it a tight, good fitting, professional look. I'm sure if you search the internet, you'll find many videos on how to use hog rings on car seats. But just to let everybody know, there's a proper tool for this job which makes it about 1000 times easier.

Thanks! only $15 shipped on ebay, looks like a great tool to troll around the house breaking seat cushion apart
Old 11-19-15, 05:45 PM
tatumjonj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a pretty good deal. As I used to work on cars for a living I think I paid almost $100 for mine off the rip off truck.
Old 02-28-16, 12:00 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

so my seat cushion arrived, gonna attempted to do this monday morning,

can anyone tell me how to pop the plastic panel around the seat? flat head screw driver to pop the seat adjust button right off? really don't wanna pry anything that isn't suppose to. that's my main concern as of now.

TIA!

Quick Reply: So, I did something about my seat cushion (lots of pics)