GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 03:33 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!

When I posted pics before, everyone said dump the stripes, and I agreed especially since they kind of lost their way towards the front.....whoever did them couldn't seem to decide which body line to follow on the front fenders, so they just ran them down the middle of the flat tapered part

I decided against the drill attachment - I just couldn't take something like that to my all original flawless paint. Luckily they were vinyl stripes, not painted on. I first tried peeling them off (twice the work as it was a fine double stripe) in my garage, but I guess the surface was too cool because they kept breaking off after just a couple inches progress. So I pulled into the driveway with one side facing the sun, and after a few minutes it heated up enough that they came off pretty easily. It's only in the low 60s here but the sun was bright this afternoon. Got one side done then turned the car around and let the other side "cook" for a few minutes and finished the job. Really came off cleanly, with just a few areas of adhesive that needed extra effort.

Then I waxed the entire car with Meguiar's Carnauba wax. I just can't get over the factory paint quality on these cars - slicker than snail snot

Tint was done last weekend.

I figure this is about the best it's ever going to look so better post pics
Attached Thumbnails Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!-dsc06645-2.jpg   Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!-dsc06652-2.jpg   Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!-dsc06658-2.jpg   Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!-dsc06667-2.jpg   Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!-dsc06666-2.jpg  

Old 04-25-13, 07:40 PM
SVance23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!! Tint looks good but did you go darker in the back than the front?
Old 04-25-13, 08:27 PM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that thing is squeaky clean! Looks great without the pinstripe!
Old 04-25-13, 09:38 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels
Man that thing is squeaky clean! Looks great without the pinstripe!
Thanks
Old 04-25-13, 09:40 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SVance23
Looks good!! Tint looks good but did you go darker in the back than the front?
Yes - 35% front doors (legal limit in MO and I didn't feel like getting hassled) - 20% rear doors - 5% back window. It "flows" well in person.
Old 04-26-13, 09:46 AM
TriniEv
Driver School Candidate

Car looks niceee
Old 04-26-13, 10:57 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5
Yes - 35% front doors (legal limit in MO and I didn't feel like getting hassled) - 20% rear doors - 5% back window. It "flows" well in person.
Yeah, I've seen this done a lot in states where the law has different % restrictions.

Clean. No pinstripe = win!
Old 04-26-13, 03:18 PM
redb202
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5
Looking good!!! I need to tint mine soon... Here in Illinois, limit is 35%. but if you go darker than 35% in the rear, then the limit for the front becomes 50%. kinda confusing..
Old 04-26-13, 07:38 PM
SVance23
Rookie

Originally Posted by redb202
Looking good!!! I need to tint mine soon... Here in Illinois, limit is 35%. but if you go darker than 35% in the rear, then the limit for the front becomes 50%. kinda confusing..
Ya im in IL. And your right stupid law!! But I did mine 35% all the way around. Im really thinking of just taking it off and going 20% all away around cause during the day you can see right thru it and that kinda defeats the purpose to me.
Old 04-27-13, 12:25 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redb202
That is goofy as ****. Here in MO we can go as dark as we want behind the front doors....can literally paint the back doors and back window black if u wanted to and they can't say squat. I guess because of cargo vans with no rear glass - can't see in or out of those.

Had our new Prius done 35 all the way around....not as dark as I normally like but works with the black. Only thing I wish now is that we had gotten the dark gray interior instead of light gray - tint would appear much darker. Here's a pic....it now has red calipers and today in traffic actually had a guy and his wife roll down their window and say to me and my wife "That looks like a hot Prius"....to which I replied "Yeah well it's not, but thanks" LOL
Attached Thumbnails Pics with new tint, fresh wax, pinstripe DELETE!-dsc03752.jpg  

Last edited by MX5; 04-27-13 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-27-13, 12:40 AM
MX5
Pole Position

^ Oh and yeah, I realize the irony of the pinstripe on the Prius considering this thread topic. Problem is the dealer had it painted on before we saw the car, and it's right on a sharp crease in the body so not too terrible. Not only did I not pay for the stripe, I got the tint thrown into the deal and still got thousands off
Old 04-27-13, 02:51 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

looks good dude. If your paint is still as spotless as you say up close, the next thing I would do before anything is get a clear bra put on. The stupidest thing i did was ignore that. 30 days after i bought the car, I had rock chips that were visible because this paint is soft as baby S@#)T. My wife drives the same roads as me, for two years now, with a 2011 Infinti FX. She has no chips and the paint looks flawless. I keep the GS cleaned/waxed routinely, and I don't ride people's bumpers at all, and my bumper and hood willl have to be resprayed before i can put the bra on. The paint looks great on these cars but the durability sucks.
Old 04-27-13, 08:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 325 Likes on 222 Posts

Car looks good, the prius looks good too.
Old 04-27-13, 09:19 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Asav
looks good dude. If your paint is still as spotless as you say up close, the next thing I would do before anything is get a clear bra put on. The stupidest thing i did was ignore that. 30 days after i bought the car, I had rock chips that were visible because this paint is soft as baby S@#)T. My wife drives the same roads as me, for two years now, with a 2011 Infinti FX. She has no chips and the paint looks flawless. I keep the GS cleaned/waxed routinely, and I don't ride people's bumpers at all, and my bumper and hood willl have to be resprayed before i can put the bra on. The paint looks great on these cars but the durability sucks.
First thing I did to the Prius was have a clear bra installed. But it had 6 miles on it. Not sure I see the value in spending that kind of $$$ on a used car that won't see that many miles, though.....
Old 05-02-13, 07:31 AM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Very Nice GS !!