GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dead alternator. Anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 03:22 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was rushed to put mine on, heck even an alternator on a c240 benze can be done even faster. Remove a few accessories, I used a breaker bar for easy leverage in loosening the tensioner pulley. Jump the belt over the pulley very neatly, makes it easier just to jump it back on the pulley. Think there were 3 bolts holding the alternator.. Then disconnect a few wires in the back of the alternator. It was a tight fit coming out, patients.

Last edited by tunedis95; 01-21-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 02:39 PM
Wildcat73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery and Alternator Issues

Originally Posted by Ziggy716
So my alternator died i'd say about a month ago today. My car was towed to lexus around the same time to see why the car was dying. After a few hours I got a call back saying it was just my battery and they recharged it for me, great. Well about a week later I decided to replace the battery that way I knew the problem wouldn't surface again. Anyways, yesterday the wifey is driving the car and calls me and says the car is acting up again, so im upset at that point and call lexus, I drop the car off today about an hour later they say its possibly a bad batterey so I go back to the place where I purchased it and they say its a bad alternator, WTF! I go home P@@Sed off and start to test the car myself. As I tested the car with a multimeter I surmised it was the alternator. Brought it back to lexus same day and spoke with the tech myself and said they simply checked the battery and not the alternator. An hour later they told me it in fact was the alternator. Woohoo! Anyways $656.00 for alternator and $200.00 for labor.
Im deciding whether to do it myself, anybody know how?

2007 Lexus GS350 RWD 86000miles

I changed my battery 2 weeks ago and now my battery lights is on, and the dash says check headlights which went out last week. At times the power steering goes out but drivable for now. After seeing your quote I won't be going to the dealership like I started to for a 8 year old car. I will check other options before spending that kind of money. Otherwise decent car for the money. Autozone has alternators less than 170.00 with an 80.00 core charge

Last edited by Wildcat73; 01-20-14 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Too add
Old 01-20-14, 02:57 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sxwk12
The GS300 alternator replacement is NOT easy at all. The Compressor Assembly that is right below the alternator has to come out. I am told there is another bolt under the alternator that obviously has to come out.

I changed my timing belt in my 99 GS300. That was very long and tedious. But with this alternator replacement, I had to give up. Had it towed to a mechanic who just happens to be the Service Manager at Lexus. He laughed when I said I tried to replace it myself and said this is not DIY repair. It's much harder with the GS300. So, I got my alternator for $145 and he is replacing it for $100.
Huh, if you're talking about a 99 you're not even talking about the same car.
Old 01-20-14, 09:34 PM
Ziggy716
Driver

If anybody is going to attempt an alternator change on a 2007-2011 GS 350 RWD I'd say go for it. It took me 3 hours or less and only because of inexperience and not wanting to break anything. As far as difficulty to a first timer I would say about a 4-5 on a 1-10 scale. Make sure you have a decent tool set and remove as many engine room components as possible around the area being worked on. The rest is all patience.
I am not sure of the other drivetrain or engine configurations on this model, maybe someone else has some input.
Old 01-21-14, 09:47 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat73
I changed my battery 2 weeks ago and now my battery lights is on, and the dash says check headlights which went out last week. At times the power steering goes out but drivable for now. After seeing your quote I won't be going to the dealership like I started to for a 8 year old car. I will check other options before spending that kind of money. Otherwise decent car for the money. Autozone has alternators less than 170.00 with an 80.00 core charge
Remember that you get what you paid for. There's a reason why there's alts LESS THAN 170. I've had an alt I had to bring back to pepboys 4 times (literally) before I demanded a refund (06 accord). It is what it is when you're being cheap with, never going that route again, especially with a electronic component that is so important.

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Huh, if you're talking about a 99 you're not even talking about the same car.
I think he's comparing his 99 2jz timing belt to the difficulty of the 06 3GR-FE motor. Timing belt vs alternator swap respectively lol.

If anybody is going to attempt an alternator change on a 2007-2011 GS 350 RWD I'd say go for it. It took me 3 hours or less and only because of inexperience and not wanting to break anything. As far as difficulty to a first timer I would say about a 4-5 on a 1-10 scale. Make sure you have a decent tool set and remove as many engine room components as possible around the area being worked on. The rest is all patience.
I am not sure of the other drivetrain or engine configurations on this model, maybe someone else has some input.
Awesome to hear Ziggy! I wanted to do it on my 430, but I don't think I have the legroom to work from up top, I also have to run 0-gauge wire from the battery to the alternator, and the alternator to the chassis .
Old 01-21-14, 11:45 AM
sxwk12
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX

I think he's comparing his 99 2jz timing belt to the difficulty of the 06 3GR-FE motor. Timing belt vs alternator swap respectively lol.
Exactly. Thanks, XxGoKoUxX
Old 01-21-14, 11:53 AM
sxwk12
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Remember that you get what you paid for. There's a reason why there's alts LESS THAN 170. I've had an alt I had to bring back to pepboys 4 times (literally) before I demanded a refund (06 accord). It is what it is when you're being cheap with, never going that route again, especially with a electronic component that is so important.
I paid $146.00 ($81.00 core) for my alternator only because I have a friend that works at WorldPac which supplies the same alternator to Carquest, who sells it for $245.69 ($116.00 core).

So good to know people. And then I got the Service Manager to fix my car at his house for $100.
Old 01-21-14, 05:42 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely pays to know a good mechanic if you own a high end car.
Old 01-21-14, 06:43 PM
Ziggy716
Driver

Just to remind people these aren't old school cars so if you ever try to diagnose an alternator problem by disconnecting the positive lead you might ruin your car.
Old 01-21-14, 11:39 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL, is that how folks really diagnose bad alternators?

It's easier if you just run a voltmeter..... Voltage 13v+ = charging alt, good overall, if voltage stays low @ battery voltage, alt=bad.
Old 01-22-14, 06:53 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just happened to me about 2 months ago. I had about 93,000 miles. I paid about the same price, I know it kind of sucks but I had to do it...

So my alternator died i'd say about a month ago today. My car was towed to lexus around the same time to see why the car was dying. After a few hours I got a call back saying it was just my battery and they recharged it for me, great. Well about a week later I decided to replace the battery that way I knew the problem wouldn't surface again. Anyways, yesterday the wifey is driving the car and calls me and says the car is acting up again, so im upset at that point and call lexus, I drop the car off today about an hour later they say its possibly a bad batterey so I go back to the place where I purchased it and they say its a bad alternator, WTF! I go home P@@Sed off and start to test the car myself. As I tested the car with a multimeter I surmised it was the alternator. Brought it back to lexus same day and spoke with the tech myself and said they simply checked the battery and not the alternator. An hour later they told me it in fact was the alternator. Woohoo! Anyways $656.00 for alternator and $200.00 for labor.
Im deciding whether to do it myself, anybody know how?

2007 Lexus GS350 RWD 86000miles
Old 01-22-14, 03:16 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine just crapped out, too

Here's the 2IS guys experiences w/changing their alt:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ernator-2.html

Here's the 2006 GS300, Lexus workshop manual instructions:
GS 300 RWD V6-3.0L (3GR-FSE) (2006)

Alternator: Service and Repair
Removal & Installation
REMOVAL
1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL
CAUTION: Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to prevent airbag and seat belt
pretensioner activation.
2. REMOVE V-BANK COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY
a. Remove the 2 nuts and cover.
3. REMOVE COOL AIR INTAKE DUCT SEAL
4. REMOVE ENGINE ROOM SIDE COVER LH
5. REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER
6. REMOVE V-RIBBED BELT
7. REMOVE COMPRESSOR WITH PULLEY ASSEMBLY
a. Remove the compressor with pulley for 2WD or 4WD
8. REMOVE NO. 2 IDLER PULLEY SUB-ASSEMBLY
Name:  idlerpulleyremoval_zpsf06dce1b.jpg
Views: 5191
Size:  13.0 KB
a. Remove the bolt, pulley plate and idler pulley.

9. REMOVE GENERATOR ASSEMBLY
Name:  bracketremoval_zpsa87fb9b6.jpg
Views: 5515
Size:  15.1 KB
a. Detach the clamp, and remove the bolt from the generator.
b. Disconnect the generator connector.
c. Detach the rubber cap, and then remove the nut and battery cable.

Name:  generatorbracket_zps77d20710.jpg
Views: 5189
Size:  11.6 KB
d. Remove the nut, bolt and generator bracket

Name:  alternatorbolts_zpsd5d8d9b7.jpg
Views: 5089
Size:  13.1 KB
e. Remove (2) bolts and generator

Ordered mine, but it hasn't come in the mail...will report back on issues
Old 01-23-14, 08:29 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

06 GS300 3GR-FE update: (alternator removal)

Can't get the alternator out without removing the the a/c compressor. Too many nuts, bolts and the alternator trapped by the compressor.

It's about $130 to get done at a shop locally, probably go that route as a/c will need to be drained and filled....

if anyone has been able to get it out please share
Old 01-25-14, 08:43 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
06 GS300 3GR-FE update: (alternator removal)

Can't get the alternator out without removing the the a/c compressor. Too many nuts, bolts and the alternator trapped by the compressor.

It's about $130 to get done at a shop locally, probably go that route as a/c will need to be drained and filled....

if anyone has been able to get it out please share
For $130 I would just let someone else deal with it even if it was easy.
Old 03-19-14, 02:32 AM
koreanguy9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just ordered alternator off ebay. I hope it works.
Paid 199.99 for it instead of the 656.00 for oem.
So how was the alternator you bought from eBay? I'm planning on buying the same one as well.

Quick Reply: Dead alternator. Anybody else?