GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dead alternator. Anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 09:36 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by koreanguy9
So how was the alternator you bought from eBay? I'm planning on buying the same one as well.
I bought one from Ebay seller stonegateauto, works like a charm and $166.25
Old 03-19-14, 07:29 PM
RangerRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after you take off the 2 visible bolts that bolt it head on what else needs to come off. I too am avoiding the dealership costs of $959 for a Battery and Alternator. I took off the two front facing bolts (One long One Short) then a top side bolt and I cannot get it lose. This is a new car for me, I am stuck! 2006 IS 350
Old 03-19-14, 07:32 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerRick
So after you take off the 2 visible bolts that bolt it head on what else needs to come off. I too am avoiding the dealership costs of $959 for a Battery and Alternator. I took off the two front facing bolts (One long One Short) then a top side bolt and I cannot get it lose. This is a new car for me, I am stuck! 2006 IS 350
Look at your replacement it should be obvious if you got all of the attachment points or not. If you have all the bolts off then hitting it with a rubber mallet will probably do it. Just don't forget the wiring... obviously.
Old 03-20-14, 09:19 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's mounted like the 3GR-FSE, there's a bracket behind the alternator, towards the bottom.. You have to get your hand deep in there to feel it. You have the takes the nuts off to remove the alternator
Old 03-20-14, 10:25 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

get that nut with a swivel head on the long ratchet
Old 03-24-14, 09:23 AM
RangerRick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
If it's mounted like the 3GR-FSE, there's a bracket behind the alternator, towards the bottom.. You have to get your hand deep in there to feel it. You have the takes the nuts off to remove the alternator
***Update***
First and foremost Thankyou for going easy on me for asking a question that was so nicely explained in all the previous posts! In the end it was the nut on the back of the Alternator (bracket) that was hanging me up. I'm 6'7 so leaning of the fender with my Shrek Hands was kicking my butt , but I got it out and in fact needed to use a rubber mallet to assist. So I again want to thank everyone for the good advice. I also (after joining the site) was made aware that my 2006 IS 350 did NOT have the Cam Recall completed and utilized the information provided by previous posters and had the Plugs and Wires replaced at cost ($114 with tax, Mn). I have already benefited greatly from simply joining this forum. I appreciate all your guys post's and time. I am sitting at around 95,000 miles and I'm unsure of what other useful preventive maintenance items I might want to be aware of moving forward in milage. Only negative I have 22 days in ownership of this Lexus is the traction control cutting out power to the wheel's when pulling out from any slightly slippery conditions. Other than that I was given a 2014 Lexus GS 350 for a loaner while mine was having warranty work done. Very Nice car, lots of options. Not sure if all the Lexus dealerships do this but they filled my gas tank 100% Full after the warranty work, I was told to bring my car in on fumes, lol
Thanks again.

Last edited by RangerRick; 03-24-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 02:15 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

***Update***
First and foremost Thankyou for going easy on me for asking a question that was so nicely explained in all the previous posts! In the end it was the nut on the back of the Alternator (bracket) that was hanging me up. I'm 6'7 so leaning of the fender with my Shrek Hands was kicking my butt , but I got it out and in fact needed to use a rubber mallet to assist. So I again want to thank everyone for the good advice. I also (after joining the site) was made aware that my 2006 IS 350 did NOT have the Cam Recall completed and utilized the information provided by previous posters and had the Plugs and Wires replaced at cost ($114 with tax, Mn). I have already benefited greatly from simply joining this forum. I appreciate all your guys post's and time. I am sitting at around 95,000 miles and I'm unsure of what other useful preventive maintenance items I might want to be aware of moving forward in milage. Only negative I have 22 days in ownership of this Lexus is the traction control cutting out power to the wheel's when pulling out from any slightly slippery conditions. Other than that I was given a 2014 Lexus GS 350 for a loaner while mine was having warranty work done. Very Nice car, lots of options. Not sure if all the Lexus dealerships do this but they filled my gas tank 100% Full after the warranty work, I was told to bring my car in on fumes, lol
Thanks again.
They will fill your tank if it is a safety recall being done but usually not for warranty work, at least they never added gas for any warranty work I had done while I was still in that blissful state of ownership.
Old 03-25-14, 12:55 PM
RangerRick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
They will fill your tank if it is a safety recall being done but usually not for warranty work, at least they never added gas for any warranty work I had done while I was still in that blissful state of ownership.
You are right I miss spoke. For the "Safety Recall". Not "Warrenty" work. I don't want to put inaccurate information out there! Thanks Again.
Old 09-23-21, 11:14 AM
Cornbread
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ziggy716
So my alternator died i'd say about a month ago today. My car was towed to lexus around the same time to see why the car was dying. After a few hours I got a call back saying it was just my battery and they recharged it for me, great. Well about a week later I decided to replace the battery that way I knew the problem wouldn't surface again. Anyways, yesterday the wifey is driving the car and calls me and says the car is acting up again, so im upset at that point and call lexus, I drop the car off today about an hour later they say its possibly a bad batterey so I go back to the place where I purchased it and they say its a bad alternator, WTF! I go home P@@Sed off and start to test the car myself. As I tested the car with a multimeter I surmised it was the alternator. Brought it back to lexus same day and spoke with the tech myself and said they simply checked the battery and not the alternator. An hour later they told me it in fact was the alternator. Woohoo! Anyways $656.00 for alternator and $200.00 for labor.
Im deciding whether to do it myself, anybody know how?

2007 Lexus GS350 RWD 86000miles
yes I had the same issues I have the same year and model Lexus but I have awd anyways I took my car to a mechanic and was told 1000 bucks so I YouTube on how to switch out the alternator its a tricky ***** but can be done especially the third screw its long painful process but can be done good luck.