GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 05:40 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350swf
I have that noise also.
Does that noise only occur when you accelerate? Does it sound like a raspy whistling noise? I seem to have that. I don't recall hearing prior to removing the ac drain plug. I hope it's that and not a bearing going bad lol.
Old 09-26-17, 05:52 AM
gs350swf
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Does that noise only occur when you accelerate? Does it sound like a raspy whistling noise? I seem to have that. I don't recall hearing prior to removing the ac drain plug. I hope it's that and not a bearing going bad lol.
When I accelerate. It started right after I removed the plug.
Old 10-17-17, 09:04 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350swf
When I accelerate. It started right after I removed the plug.
Good so I'm not the only one that heard this noise. I just hope it's not like a wheel bearing or nothing like that.... That be bad.
Old 08-08-18, 08:45 PM
Mrbikerman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got it

I have an 07 GS350 AWD and was flipping out, there has been some major rain/hail around here lately and I drove down a road that was flooded with water a few inches deep. I noticed the wet carpets a day after while reaching for something under my seat and thought I had driven in water deep enough to flood my floor pans since it was wet in both drivers/passengers footwells. I found a missing plug under the chassis and thought I had solved the problem but after removing the seats and carpet, drying it all out, and then noticing more water today I was pissed. I found the TSB and was getting a little freaked out about having to drop the transmission and remove exhaust on a 12yr old car. Then I found this thread and got motivated, went out and found the grommet in about 5 minutes with no mirror or camera. The corner of it is visible if looking up from below the passenger side catalytic converter. I have some multi-pivot hemostats and was able to grab on to the grommet enough to pull it out on the 4th or 5th try. I did yank a small bit of foam out but it's so far up there I'm really not concerned. There was at least a quart that drained out, and it makes sense that everything was wet again today because I sat in my car and ran the a/c during lunch. I still have the carpet and mats out and will be driving around with just the center console and drivers seat installed until I can make sure everything is completely dry and sanitized before reinstallation. Thanks for the help all especially OP!!!

Just wondering what everyone has used to treat the carpets and mats to prevent mold/mildew?
The following users liked this post:
VertexA (06-21-24)
Old 08-09-18, 06:42 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbikerman
I have an 07 GS350 AWD and was flipping out, there has been some major rain/hail around here lately and I drove down a road that was flooded with water a few inches deep. I noticed the wet carpets a day after while reaching for something under my seat and thought I had driven in water deep enough to flood my floor pans since it was wet in both drivers/passengers footwells. I found a missing plug under the chassis and thought I had solved the problem but after removing the seats and carpet, drying it all out, and then noticing more water today I was pissed. I found the TSB and was getting a little freaked out about having to drop the transmission and remove exhaust on a 12yr old car. Then I found this thread and got motivated, went out and found the grommet in about 5 minutes with no mirror or camera. The corner of it is visible if looking up from below the passenger side catalytic converter. I have some multi-pivot hemostats and was able to grab on to the grommet enough to pull it out on the 4th or 5th try. I did yank a small bit of foam out but it's so far up there I'm really not concerned. There was at least a quart that drained out, and it makes sense that everything was wet again today because I sat in my car and ran the a/c during lunch. I still have the carpet and mats out and will be driving around with just the center console and drivers seat installed until I can make sure everything is completely dry and sanitized before reinstallation. Thanks for the help all especially OP!!!

Just wondering what everyone has used to treat the carpets and mats to prevent mold/mildew?
Best way is to remove the carpet and take it to a carwash with the pressure washer, soap & wash the carpets. If you dont want to remove the carpet use some folex (home depot sells it) carpet cleaner scrub the carpet really good. Then on a hot day start the car with the heater on max blasting the carpet, close all the windows but raise your sunroof to release the humidity. You can also pop off the door sills, pry up the carpet on all 4 doors and put something to prop the carpet while you let the heat dry off the carpets.
Old 08-09-18, 05:19 PM
Mrbikerman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Best way is to remove the carpet and take it to a carwash with the pressure washer, soap & wash the carpets. If you dont want to remove the carpet use some folex (home depot sells it) carpet cleaner scrub the carpet really good. Then on a hot day start the car with the heater on max blasting the carpet, close all the windows but raise your sunroof to release the humidity. You can also pop off the door sills, pry up the carpet on all 4 doors and put something to prop the carpet while you let the heat dry off the carpets.
I've had the carpet and all the sound deadening mats out for two days now. They've been in the sun during the day and under the fans at night. I know mold can't grow without moisture but I need to be sure the Lex never gets any funky smells so I want to kill and clean away any bacteria or dried up spores that may have already started. The carpet never smelled and I found the water by feel but the sound deadening mats underneath were a slight bit musty, they were soaked through for at least a week.
Old 09-13-18, 05:22 AM
collndave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, the Quick Fix to get the plug out was outstanding, accomplished in less than 30 minutes! After locating the plug with the flexible camera, I used a stiff wire to create a tool with a small hook-bend on the tip, with a point sharp enough to pierce the rubber (I had no needle-nose pliers long enough to reach; a wire coat-hanger would work to make the tool). I fished it over the tranny and guided it into the grommet slot, maneuvered it until I got a good grip with the hook point, and gently pulled back until the grommet pulled out.
Thanks to all of you in helping diagnose and resolve!
Old 03-18-19, 09:10 AM
Wagstaff
Driver School Candidate

Default ac drain plug question

I have a 2007 Lexus GS450h with this problem -- I put it on jacks and snaked an inspection camera all through where this forum suggested, but after looking for oven an hour, could not find a black rubber plug matching the pictures here.

I actually had this problem repaired once before about 8 years ago (under warranty). The service record said they replaced the grommet with with an OEM plug, but I seem to recall the maintenance guy years ago telling me that they made a modification...

I'm attaching pictures from my inspection of where I thought the plug was supposed to be -- this thing has a metal cap hammered into though... Before I go messing with it, does anyone have any idea what I'm looking at in these pictures, or any other advice? I assume the 2007 gs450h is similar enough to xman's car?

Old 03-19-19, 01:10 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

This

This is the AC drain right?

My ac doesn't even work never tried it now I wanna go fill it up and see what happens
Old 03-19-19, 01:44 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by potatomon
This

This is the AC drain right?

My ac doesn't even work never tried it now I wanna go fill it up and see what happens
No, that is not the AC drain. The AC drain is not located in the fender well. See the pics in post #86 for reference. The AC drain is in the floor board above the transmission.

It's hard to tell from that pic, but it looks like the fuel filler overflow tube.
Old 07-21-19, 01:39 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 2007 GS350 AWD, I could put my arm up where Aneidiaz was pushing the screwdriver, and reach the drain. It is on the transmission tunnel, driver's side where there's a bit of a gap. I put my arm up, palm facing the tunnel (away from the trans), and was able to reach the rubber drain. I fiddled with it for a few seconds and a ton of water came gushing out. I clawed at it for a few mins to see if I could just pull it off, but I couldn't. However, it is unblocked now and with the AC running it is dripping loads on my garage floor.

I did have it up 3 feet on a scissor lift, which helped a lot.

The symptoms were soaking wet rear carpets. The wife was soaking them up with towels for a few weeks before I took a look.

Hope this helps. The photos from Aneidiaz were incredibly helpful, so thanks there!

Dean
The following users liked this post:
VertexA (06-21-24)
Old 08-21-19, 06:42 PM
vkeeshan92
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scratched Arms and Tore up fingers

I was able to rip mine out by shoving my hand up the drivers side of the trans well just in front of the shift linkage. Its tight, a serious PITA, and wouldn't wish that evil on my worst enemy. Using only 2 flat headed screwdrivers and the trust and rusty needle nose i managed to stab and rip the grommet in half and took out half and the chunk with the center piece. the other, i say about 1/3 of it, might still be up there, but from what I've seen, and long as you pulled out the center bits where the water actually comes from, your done, mission complete.

Even after about 3-4 hours of excruciating, petty, frustration I did manage to film a quick video on my phone... but after recovering mentally and a shower, I watched the video i took, and realized the US NAVY Sailor in me was narrating, making it a NSFW tribute to Samuel L. Jackson... Hopefully youtube doesn't pull it down for being too explicit... Just youtube search: 2006 Lexus GS300 AC drain Grommet Removal.... And excuse my colorful "Sailor English"

The following 2 users liked this post by vkeeshan92:
farimbithe (03-24-22), Idorablo (09-23-20)
Old 09-05-19, 06:14 AM
06GS300RED
Driver School Candidate

Perfect timing with the video vkeeshan92! I just did this fix last night using my trusty cheap wifi endoscope and two cheap harbor freight screwdrivers. Once I got a good view didn't take too long. The longest screwdriver Harbor freight sells, bent it similar to what aniediaz had done, worked great. Already did a vinegar surface soak and re-vacuumed the water out, but I'm pulling my seats and sending to my local detailer so they can clean under the carpet, they are gonna sanitize the underpadding and metal floor pans as best as possible. Entire inside gonna be re-sanitized, then I'm changing my cabin air filter for a true HEPA to try and catch any remaining spores. Considering an odor bomb treatment as well.

Thanks to everyone who posted info and advice!

Phil

Last edited by 06GS300RED; 09-05-19 at 06:16 AM. Reason: add thanks
Old 09-21-19, 02:20 PM
Kivulii
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you guys for all the write ups and advice! I did this on my 2007 GS350 today after many hours of forum browsing. One I got under the car it took me about fifteen minutes, and I did it with a wine bottle opener, narrow metal file (6mm wide), and a flat head. I went in with my right arm and felt around barehanded for it, then poked and prodded with the file/flathead before settling on the wine opener. Plenty of room once you're up there if you wanna use longer tools, and I had more than enough room to angle it around and twist it in. Popped right out in one piece and no water came out. I had been getting drips coming down onto peoples feet whenever I made a right turn with the AC in recirc mode. Not as much in fresh air mode, but given the lack of humidity here in AZ thats not surprising.

A couple tips:

I bent the cat heat shield up and in on itself to avoid slicing my right forearm. Lined up the file parallel to the edge, moved in a couple inches and pushed it curled in.

No gloves, go commando on this one. Its hard to discern between the foam thats up there and the rubber stopper. Plus you can't see anything. Got a decent chunk of foam off with the file before i took the gloves off.

Aim for between the third and forth bolts from the front of the drivers side of the trans pan, then once youre in, angle your wrist (like youre waving ) towards the front of the car. I used my right hand with my body at a 45 degree angle, feet near the right front wheel

Old 09-22-20, 07:05 AM
sirius98
Driver School Candidate

Hello,
This part number is 87128-30050. Thanks Mr Tomasz for support Lexus Poland in Lodz.
This part is actually upgraded by factory. Whole for water inside is bigger.

Last edited by sirius98; 09-24-20 at 04:02 AM.

Quick Reply: ***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***