GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just got back from dealer.. just want to vent

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 01:51 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy just got back from dealer.. just want to vent

so I just drop my car off for my regular oil change today (i go there for free coffee, soda and cup cakes and loaner), and my regular SA isn't here so they arrange me with another SA, the new SA schedule me with a 60k miles service and i quickly ask him how much is it and what's include.

He just say it will be $900 and they will replace higher quality motor oil (i guess just Mobil 1 sync instead of the normal sync blend they always use) , oil filter, drain plug gasket, air filter, in cabin air filter, brake fluid service and sparks plugs.

I look up Sewell site they sell 60k service kit for $137.24. pretty sure everything are simple DIY except brake fluid flush (i know some of you can do it easily yourself )

so i also told them about my hybrids battery has been acting weird ask if they can run a test and give me a "freeze frame data" (something i found out on this forum) but don't think SA knows what it is either so he might have to charge me $65 to run the test, even my car is CPO i have to pay the $65

also i told them I need a brake inspection because I called Lexus Corporate about my sqeaking brakes which is driving my neighbors crazy and they start to hate Lexus for it, they been wanting to get one themselves. my regular SA told me my brakes still have 4mm padding so it should still be good for another 10k miles, i am having a feeling this time they might tell me my brakes are worn and need to change right away so then they will have something to prove Lexus corporate that my brakes are worn (they also want $65 for the inspection fee)

i also mention about turning off the DRL, they say they will look into it but not sure if its doable at the dealer

anyway, got a 2012 ES350 as a loaner and i have to say i can't wait to get my GSh back

sorry for long post, not having the best experience as i used to get, just want to find a dependable indy shop in Las Vegas area to work on my car in the future
Old 06-03-13, 02:35 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I finally got the service advisor to quote me a cost of $405 to change out the tranny fluid. he said they will only get 6 quarts out. I think it holds 9. Does this sound right for the service?
Old 06-03-13, 02:47 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$900 sounds about right for a 60k service, just remember you have to pay labor too, dealership labor is obviously more expansive and also the markup on parts too
The dealer should have offered free brake inspection and battery inspection with the 60k as it is actually part of the service
Old 06-03-13, 03:31 PM
StayStanky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...I just paid 70 something for an oil change at my local Lex dealer...

maybe try another dealer or an independent garage?

Seems pretty high for the work they are going to do.
Old 06-03-13, 03:53 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer told me no need to change transmission fluid as it is 'sealed'.
Old 06-03-13, 04:55 PM
mrwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by burny
I finally got the service advisor to quote me a cost of $405 to change out the tranny fluid. he said they will only get 6 quarts out. I think it holds 9. Does this sound right for the service?
I want to change my trans fluid too. I hear mixed feelings about it. But I need peace of mind. I want to do a full flush. Drain and fill is a waste of money when only 2-3 out of 9 is changed. That leaves 6 left of dirty fluid. I'm not rocket scientist but that just makes no sense to me
Old 06-03-13, 05:13 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

the dealer has refused to offer the service, but this time I was persistant. His Tech said 6 would drain out
Old 06-03-13, 06:30 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

The dealer didn't even offer lube when quoting that $900? Insane.
Old 06-03-13, 06:43 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyy
$900 sounds about right for a 60k service, just remember you have to pay labor too, dealership labor is obviously more expansive and also the markup on parts too
The dealer should have offered free brake inspection and battery inspection with the 60k as it is actually part of the service
Agree. Brake inspection & battery testing should be included in the 60K service.
Old 06-03-13, 08:19 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

When the time comes, I'll contact my Toyota dealer for a quote.
Old 06-04-13, 06:18 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I got a similar number from Lexus when I asked them about transmission fluid, Toyota did it for close to $60.
Old 06-04-13, 06:44 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Did toyota just drain 6 or so quarts from the drain bolt and refill?
Old 06-04-13, 07:00 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I got a similar number from Lexus when I asked them about transmission fluid, Toyota did it for close to $60.
For $60 bucks, I would ask them how they drained and filled it.
Three years ago, my Lexus SA quoted me $90 when I brought the car in.
Waiting in a lounge for 15 minutes, he came and said it would cost $250 because it is not a normal drain & fill. A special tool is required. The same cost was paid by other Lexus drive on this forum.
Old 06-04-13, 09:58 PM
InvisibleM
Rookie

just replaced my cabin filter for 14 bucks today.

also replacing spark plugs is a non issue if you have two hands, the right tools and half a brain

tranny and brakes are all that would require time.
Old 06-07-13, 07:28 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
so I just drop my car off for my regular oil change today (i go there for free coffee, soda and cup cakes and loaner), and my regular SA isn't here so they arrange me with another SA, the new SA schedule me with a 60k miles service and i quickly ask him how much is it and what's include.

He just say it will be $900 and they will replace higher quality motor oil (i guess just Mobil 1 sync instead of the normal sync blend they always use) , oil filter, drain plug gasket, air filter, in cabin air filter, brake fluid service and sparks plugs.

I look up Sewell site they sell 60k service kit for $137.24. pretty sure everything are simple DIY except brake fluid flush (i know some of you can do it easily yourself )

so i also told them about my hybrids battery has been acting weird ask if they can run a test and give me a "freeze frame data" (something i found out on this forum) but don't think SA knows what it is either so he might have to charge me $65 to run the test, even my car is CPO i have to pay the $65

also i told them I need a brake inspection because I called Lexus Corporate about my sqeaking brakes which is driving my neighbors crazy and they start to hate Lexus for it, they been wanting to get one themselves. my regular SA told me my brakes still have 4mm padding so it should still be good for another 10k miles, i am having a feeling this time they might tell me my brakes are worn and need to change right away so then they will have something to prove Lexus corporate that my brakes are worn (they also want $65 for the inspection fee)

i also mention about turning off the DRL, they say they will look into it but not sure if its doable at the dealer

anyway, got a 2012 ES350 as a loaner and i have to say i can't wait to get my GSh back

sorry for long post, not having the best experience as i used to get, just want to find a dependable indy shop in Las Vegas area to work on my car in the future
Try LexTech in Henderson. I haven't been there yet but I hear they are a good and cheaper alternative to Lexus dealer. Personally I go to Toyota since they are just minutes away from me. I have no complaints yet...

Quick Reply: just got back from dealer.. just want to vent