GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rough engine idle/vibration when stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 03:54 PM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough engine idle/vibration when stopping.

I have a 2007 GS350 and it idles rough/vibrates when I am coming to a stop. I had the car checked out by Lexus and they said everything is fine because there are no codes showing. Well clearly I know this is not normal. At first it would only do it when coming to a stop but now it seems to do it when sitting at a light occasionally after stopping as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with the valves. Could it possibly be the engine mounts causing this even though the car only has 77k miles on it? Any ideas?
Old 06-09-13, 04:46 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^. Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rning-oil.html

Are you burning any oil?
Old 06-09-13, 06:10 PM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

KJSmitty no... no oil burning. I have seen most post about the idle problem with the oil consumption and valve problems but that's not what's going on with my car which is why I have no clue what it could be. I've had my spark plugs replace and throttle body cleaned. It still does the same thing.
Old 06-09-13, 07:17 PM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the post KJSmitty I did check out the link you posted. I will see if I can get some help from the people who had similar problems on that thread.
Old 06-09-13, 08:11 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Originally Posted by bassgirl22
Thanks for the post KJSmitty I did check out the link you posted. I will see if I can get some help from the people who had similar problems on that thread.
No prob,
I have a 2007 GS350 as well, about 64k miles. I "shudder" every-time I think I feel a rough idle situation. However, mine rarely stutters if at all. Its probably one of the smoothest idling cars I have owned (knocking on wood..).

Good luck - let us know if you get it remedied.
-Welcome to the forum as well!

Cheers
Old 06-11-13, 08:04 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

KJSmitty no... no oil burning. I have seen most post about the idle problem with the oil consumption and valve problems but that's not what's going on with my car which is why I have no clue what it could be. I've had my spark plugs replace and throttle body cleaned. It still does the same thing.

My 06 GS300 was not using oil but was exhibiting shake, shudder at idle on occasion and always during a fast stop. It finally showed the proper codes and Lexus replaced the rings. Have them check again during each oil change.
Old 06-12-13, 06:15 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 775 Likes on 668 Posts

Are you AWD? You may need to replace your spark plugs and do an induction cleaning
Old 06-14-13, 07:20 AM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

Ibidu1: No my car is RWD. I have had the spark plugs and throttle body cleaned and it still does the same thing.
Ingoodtime: I will do this the next time I go. Thank you
Old 06-14-13, 12:43 PM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Try running a can of SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT in the crankcase oil (follow the can's directions in terms of when to change your oil thereafter, usually about 100 miles of spirited driving). It does a great job of cleaning up carbon deposits. Similarly, buy a second can and dump it in the gas tank. It will do a great job of cleaning the fuel system. This product is basically pure petroleum, so it doesn't harm anything.

If it still continues after all of this, just hold on for the CELs and go back to the dealer for the recall!
Old 06-16-13, 08:27 PM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Morganc! Although I'm a little nervous about using the Seafoam because of the mixed results on using it. I was leaning towards trying it out to see if helps. This gives me a little more confidence to go for it.
Old 06-16-13, 10:34 PM
LexToy3
Driver

What were the mixed results that you are getting? I havent heard anyone having issues with it.
Old 06-17-13, 07:18 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Morganc! Although I'm a little nervous about using the Seafoam because of the mixed results on using it. I was leaning towards trying it out to see if helps. This gives me a little more confidence to go for it.
Ya, it's a little scary at first. I've put 4 cans through my GS450h. Just keep the revs down for those 100 miles and do a thorough oil change
Old 06-17-13, 09:23 PM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Morganc!

LexToy3: There are far more good reviews about the product than bad. After googling it, I have seen a few threads on other sites and on YouTube. One in particular was a BMW whose motor was making all kinds of noises and running pretty badly. I think some of the bad experiences may have been user error but for a few it just didn't turn out good for whatever the reason.
Old 06-18-13, 06:16 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine used to do this before they did the top engine clean... I think too much carbon buildup makes the valves sticky at idle. Since my location means I don't get the piston rings fix, I am just waiting for the problem to return again now... IMO seafoam can't do it once it gets bad enough to feel like that... though the 350 is not supposed to suffer from this as badly as the GS300 or IS250.
Old 06-18-13, 08:32 AM
bassgirl22
Driver School Candidate

BinaryJay: Thanks for the info. Now let's see if I can get Lexus to pay for it since my car now has 75k miles on it. Fingers crossed

Quick Reply: Rough engine idle/vibration when stopping.