GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 lexus GS350 Awd rear brake pads, rotor and caliper

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 02:03 PM
Nemamimsp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 lexus GS350 Awd rear brake pads, rotor and caliper

Hi all,

I took my 2007 lexus GS 350 in at the lexus dealership for an oil change! As part of the oil change, the lexus mechanics checked my brakes and recommend that both of the rear brakes should be changed! The dealer quoted my around 1500 dollars for the job! That includes replacing both rear wheels break pads, rotors and caliper all factory! He warned me that after market brakes will be noisy! Can you tell me which aftermarket brand is good and a safe choice for brakes? Also, has anyone gone to Midas or other shops to get the brakes changed! I think 1500 dollars is ridiculous! I want to do it on my own but I haven't done this before and I don't know how to bleed our the brakes after the install! Can you help?
Old 06-21-13, 08:04 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 775 Likes on 668 Posts

Try taking it to the toyota dealer, and at times you can find service coupons for like 10-20% off service.

Midas is fine aslong as they turn the rotors. Theres no need to replace the caliper, but you might have a pin that often seizes especially in colder climates which is why they recommend to replace the calipers.
Old 06-21-13, 09:44 PM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of DIY self step by step instructions. You should be able to perform the replacement of the pads. If you are able to replace them on your own you will save and possibly will not have to bleed the system. Might actually find that you dont need to change the brakes yet either.
Old 06-22-13, 07:41 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Pads will be around $45 from Sewells, just reuse shims and hardware and buy a pack of grease for the shims from advanced auto. Good Rotors for all 4 wheels can be had for $250-$350 depending on what you want. I just replaced a seized rear caliper when doing a brake job and got the caliper from Bap Geon for under $100. It is much better quality than the piece of crap Lexus put on there. If you replace caliper(s), you will have to bleed that line to get air out. You can get all the parts including a couple cans of Toyota brake fluid under $500. I would say and independent mechanic could do all this in 2-3 hours. You can watch youtube tutorials and probably figure it all out. Jacking up the car might be the toughest part.
Old 06-27-13, 01:36 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Try taking it to the toyota dealer, and at times you can find service coupons for like 10-20% off service.

Midas is fine aslong as they turn the rotors. Theres no need to replace the caliper, but you might have a pin that often seizes especially in colder climates which is why they recommend to replace the calipers.
Exactly.. I go to Newark Toyota world, out here in Delaware, which is world service center and huge place. They are reasonably priced for service (if you must go to a dealer) and they are always pushing coupons etc.

Lexus dealer oil change price $88 vs. Toyota dealer price $36

I have done major services there with no issue, and I see Lexus vehicles (all models) there all the time.

They have all the snacks and drinks, crap that the Lexus dealer has. I'm not going to pay 2x the price to sit on leather seats and walk on marble flooring when I can keep my hard earned cash.
Old 06-28-13, 08:28 PM
shivam
Driver School Candidate

Please my man get this changes from somewhere else or a local mechanic. You can buy a whole set of aftermarket rotors and brake pads for 300$ for the awd gs350 on eBay. Brakes are usually not that hard to change so you don't need a Lexus dealership.
Old 06-29-13, 06:06 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Damn, $1,500 is highway robbery. also, why would the calipers need to be replaced unless they are seized?

I think I need to start a new business changing brake pads and rotors.
Old 04-23-20, 04:13 PM
jimemac
Driver School Candidate

Default Brakes

Dont go to monroe, very bad experience, I brought brake pads, rotors, calipers from power stop....slotted and drilled....I got a quote from the dealer for $1,000...if your handy there are videos on YouTube
Old 04-24-20, 04:15 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

My rear calipers were trashed. I mean, I needed a huge sledge to move the corroded pin that should slide. Not good. Also, in the winter, dangerous, because the rear wheels could be pushing you in the snow.
I got them from some online Lexus Dealer for $100 each (shop cost). The parts guy told me you are going to save a fortune DIY because it is over $900 for a set installed out the door. Of course pads and rotors add to that.

DO NOT BUY REMANS. They cost about the same at Autozone!
These units cannot be rebuilt. Every two years pull the calipers and check if they are greased.
Akebono pads are good for this car, also the OEM is Advics, Rockauto has them.
Old 04-24-20, 04:17 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Damn, $1,500 is highway robbery. also, why would the calipers need to be replaced unless they are seized?

If you live up north with salt these calipers are horrible. They lock up so hard from corrosion you need a sledge. Remans aren't a good option either. It is not a great design.
Old 04-24-20, 04:25 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Diesel350

Originally Posted by jimemac
Dont go to monroe, very bad experience, I brought brake pads, rotors, calipers from power stop....slotted and drilled....I got a quote from the dealer for $1,000...if your handy there are videos on YouTube
Ugh, we just answered a 7 yo zombie thread!
Old 04-24-20, 05:52 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs350fan
My rear calipers were trashed. I mean, I needed a huge sledge to move the corroded pin that should slide. Not good. Also, in the winter, dangerous, because the rear wheels could be pushing you in the snow.
I got them from some online Lexus Dealer for $100 each (shop cost). The parts guy told me you are going to save a fortune DIY because it is over $900 for a set installed out the door. Of course pads and rotors add to that.

DO NOT BUY REMANS. They cost about the same at Autozone!
These units cannot be rebuilt. Every two years pull the calipers and check if they are greased.
Akebono pads are good for this car, also the OEM is Advics, Rockauto has them.
This is what I did to free up locked caliper pins, and have done plenty successfully. Completely remove the calipers, with a propane torch heat the housing of the pin thats lodging the pin. Heat it steadily for a few mins, spray it with pb blast or wd. Make sure you angle the caliper so that the fluid drips down into the pins bore. Next with a hammer hit the housing to push in the pin further, once you see the pin gets pushed in many times the caliper bracket will free up to where you can jiggle it out. But ive never purchased rear calipers all stock oem reused.

Once I remove it I sand the pin and the inside bore with 300-1000 grit sand paper, then I pack in loads of grease.

I do the same for all the calipers, I plan and sand the pins with fine grit, and lube generously. Especially the tracks for the pads, you want to make sure they are clean and lubed or else our lexus brakes squeal
Old 04-24-20, 06:17 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
This is what I did to free up locked caliper pins, and have done plenty successfully. Completely remove the calipers, with a propane torch heat the housing of the pin thats lodging the pin. Heat it steadily for a few mins, spray it with pb blast or wd. Make sure you angle the caliper so that the fluid drips down into the pins bore. Next with a hammer hit the housing to push in the pin further, once you see the pin gets pushed in many times the caliper bracket will free up to where you can jiggle it out. But ive never purchased rear calipers all stock oem reused.

Once I remove it I sand the pin and the inside bore with 300-1000 grit sand paper, then I pack in loads of grease.

I do the same for all the calipers, I plan and sand the pins with fine grit, and lube generously. Especially the tracks for the pads, you want to make sure they are clean and lubed or else our lexus brakes squeal
The Lexus dealer told me once they are rusted 100% they will fail again. Parts guy told me rear brake work is a major source of their income :lol:. Maybe if you don't live in the salt belt.
Old 04-24-20, 07:16 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs350fan
The Lexus dealer told me once they are rusted 100% they will fail again. Parts guy told me rear brake work is a major source of their income :lol:. Maybe if you don't live in the salt belt.
Like I said ive unfreed many calipers all 100% with no issues. Heat is the easiest way, ive tried beating them cold with hammers and bending them. Sometime you accidently melt the rubber boot, but other then that I have 190k miles all original. My old IS had frozen pins aswell freed with no issues.

If you have salt, you can coat the whole caliper with a thin layer of grease that will help protect them
Old 04-26-20, 08:14 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I've also freed up the caliper pins on both rear brakes twice with the heat method. It takes a little time and you have to be patient but it works. Now I just use Slyglyde and check on them whenever I rotate tires.