GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Replace Door Handle and Lock Cap ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 06:19 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace Door Handle and Lock Cap ?

This might be a noob question but is it fairly easy to install a new OEM door handle (drivers side) and the lock cap ? Does any one know the steps to take in order to install it ?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-22-13, 09:04 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

it'll seem straight forward.... I tried looking for you with no avail, but I would say take out the door panel (which is fairly easy and if you don't know how, look that one up) and see underneath how to tackle that type of job.

GL!
Old 07-22-13, 09:36 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I will try and take the door panel off sometime this week and see how it goes... Thanks for the advice
Old 07-22-13, 07:25 PM
XxGoKoUxX

The door panel is not hard at all.... I believe it is:

"pop the cap behind the inside door handle, unscrew. Pop the dome light in the middle right where the crease of your arm rest would be, unscrew the screw in there. Pull out door panel"

I forgot where the 2nd location of the screw is, but it is definitely only TWO screws on the whole door panel, the rest is held on by clips.
Old 07-22-13, 09:40 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

I doubt you would need to pop out the door panel, a lot of cars you can undo the handle without pulling the door panels.

Ive never taken off the handles on my car but just by looking at it, I would start by popping off the cover to expose the lock. Then look inside the door theres a rubber plug pop that out, then im assuming it would be a torx bit or an allen key undo that and the base of the handle should be free. Then just pull out the base till the other end comes out of the door.

I am assuming this is how Lexus handles are put on. You may also have electrical plug to undo
Old 07-23-13, 06:49 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I doubt you would need to pop out the door panel, a lot of cars you can undo the handle without pulling the door panels.

Ive never taken off the handles on my car but just by looking at it, I would start by popping off the cover to expose the lock. Then look inside the door theres a rubber plug pop that out, then im assuming it would be a torx bit or an allen key undo that and the base of the handle should be free. Then just pull out the base till the other end comes out of the door.

I am assuming this is how Lexus handles are put on. You may also have electrical plug to undo
The OEM replacement door handle has an electrical plug coming out of it so your right... It might be easier to take the door panel off i think ? Anyone know the correct way so I can save myself some time and errors ?
Old 07-23-13, 08:26 AM
XxGoKoUxX

If the door is so easy to take out from the outside.... Won't that mean it's even easier to break into?

Either way, You could ask Kuwupt, he's DIY'ed everything on the car.... and he's most likely don'e this already.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...build-log.html
Old 07-23-13, 09:28 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Here you go, i found a video to better explain how to remove it.

Old 07-23-13, 10:25 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Door Handle Removal Lexus RX330/RX350/RX400h (Passenger) - Club Lexus - YouTube
WOW , thank you so much, you saved me time and money ! I really apreciate your help Sir
Old 07-23-13, 03:43 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

The video pretty much explains how to take the door handle off so you can follow that. However you have to take the door panels off on the 3rd gen gs. If you notice the passenger side of the RX doesn't have sensors/button to unlock doors, our GS does. So you have to unplug the sensor from the inside of the door before you pull them out. It's simple to do, remove door panels and if you look at the door handles from the inside you will see a wire loom coming from the door handle and is connected to a plug. Just unplug the connection and then follow the video to remove the door handle.

Also for the driver side the cap that he removes in the video initially has a lock on it.. It comes out the same way as in the video, except when you put it back there are brackets the lock has to be slide into. Don't let that confluter you though, it's easy just a tip to look at when you are pulling it out and putting it back in.

Last edited by kuWuPt; 07-24-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-23-13, 09:15 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I get what you mean now ibidu, I was wondering what that rubber grommet was on the door everytime I opened it hahaha.
Old 07-27-13, 01:23 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

I just finished installing the door handle. Thank You for the tips... The only thing I found dificult was unplugging the door handle electrical cord from inside the door panel... First time I took off the door panel, it was fairly easy. My only tip for someone else trying to install a new OEM handle is: When removing the electrical cord, peel back the plastic door lining at the top and it will be easy access to disconnect the harness. Also the clip to the harness is at the bottom to loosen it up...

Thanks !
Old 03-03-14, 05:43 PM
Silantra
Driver School Candidate

The black leather (vinyl ?) of the door panel armrest on my 2006 RX 400 H has holes and appears stretched out. The driver side, more so than the passenger side, is affected. Are there any do it yourself kits or will I have to go to the dealer or an upholstery store? Anyone else with this problem? Any videos on repair and/or tucking the leather/vinyl or shrinking it?
Old 03-03-14, 08:12 PM
XxGoKoUxX

This is a completely different issue, OP's question was to replace the door handle. You're talking about door holster....

Definitely try the RX400 sub forums .
Old 04-23-20, 12:00 PM
agent1966
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for Video

Door Handle Removal Lexus RX330/RX350/RX400h (Passenger) - Club Lexus - YouTube
Helped me get mine taken care of.

Quick Reply: Replace Door Handle and Lock Cap ?