GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front damage etc on Car advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 08:15 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front damage etc on Car advice

I contacted Sewell Lexus in Dallas and they want $3,100 to repaint the front bumper, fix the fender and paint it, and also paint the roof. I was wondering if it is better just to buy the parts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130590616734...84.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110655608548...84.m1438.l2649

or get them to fix damage doesn't look like all that bad, just some stress cracks and some paint coming off the front and someone backed and dented my fender in about 2 Inches of damage

Here are pics of damage (no pics of roof but nothing there but a little paint worn down to clear on 2 spots on drivers side)

Front Fender
Front of Car [Front of Car 2

Last edited by krava; 08-31-13 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 08-30-13, 02:07 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 789 Likes on 682 Posts

The parts you posted are not original oem parts they are aftermarket. Although they are CAPA certified which makes them "closer" to oem spec. But personally if your planning spending big cheese like that I would go used.

Post a pic of the damages, a good body shop maybe able to fix your bumper and fender for less then $1,000
Old 08-30-13, 09:03 AM
bartgs350
Driver School Candidate

you dont have to fix body work at lexus, just find a local body shop with good ratings and get a price
from them.
Old 08-30-13, 05:01 PM
pdbrady
Driver School Candidate

I'd be curious to see the estimate and pictures of the damage. Depending on where the damage is and what color it is, there will likely be blend time. In this case, there could be blend on the door and hood. If the door is being blended, it will need to be disassembled (handle, mirror, belt molding....). There will be repair time on the bumper and fender on top of paint time. Was a headlight damaged? Another huge cost. The radiator support could be damaged as well. There are a lot of things that go into a proper repair that most people don't realize. Without at least pictures, your questions can't accurately be answered.
Old 08-31-13, 12:58 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Default Roof damage

I have some paint on the drivers side coming off and down to the clear coat someone at lexus said it was because of over buffing or something. Anyway I go almost everywhere and everybody quotes me around $1000 to repaint the roof. is that normal? I asked someone else that I personally knew that knows someone and he said he could do it for around $250 but isn't that a bit cheap? I don't want a bad job done. What is a decent price to repaint a lexus gs 300 roof with No dents or nothing wrong other then paint wearing down??
Old 08-31-13, 12:59 AM
krava
Lead Lap

don't have pictures to post but I didn't have a wreck I had someone knick my right fender in the parking lot and also just road wear in the front. but also I need to deal with my roof.
Old 08-31-13, 05:21 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 789 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
don't have pictures to post but I didn't have a wreck I had someone knick my right fender in the parking lot and also just road wear in the front. but also I need to deal with my roof.
Try and get pics because im sure we can better help you.

If its just a clean dent on the fender sometimes that can be fixed with pdr (paintless dent removal) depending on where the dent is and paint condition. If the dent is not able to be fixed with pdr, then maybe you can just fix the dent and the bumper on the car, which would be a huge savings.

You also have to factor resale value, if your originals fenders are replaced then that shows a signs of previous body damage vs you respraying that panel. Theres little id tags on every oem body panel on ours cars with the vin number.
Old 08-31-13, 07:36 AM
pdbrady
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krava
I have some paint on the drivers side coming off and down to the clear coat someone at lexus said it was because of over buffing or something. Anyway I go almost everywhere and everybody quotes me around $1000 to repaint the roof. is that normal? I asked someone else that I personally knew that knows someone and he said he could do it for around $250 but isn't that a bit cheap? I don't want a bad job done. What is a decent price to repaint a lexus gs 300 roof with No dents or nothing wrong other then paint wearing down??
Gotcha. What he's saying is someone has sanded and buffed it pretty hard, effectively making the clear thinner than recommended, allowing the sun to burn through and delaminate what clear is left. When that happens it all starts to peel away, eliminating all protection from the elements. A possible expense on their estimates could be strip time. If it's peeling bad enough the best option is to take it all down to metal, prime, and respray. In reference to the roof, if indeed it needs something along these lines, $250 is very low. I don't know what labor rates are where you're from, but here in the midwest- with some of the lower labor rates in the country I'm pretty sure- $250 would not get your roof fixed, UNLESS it is an individual just looking to make a few bucks, but their material will likely be lower quality. If you're getting estimates of $1000 from multiple places (and not showing the previous estimate when getting a new one), that is likely going to be what it costs for your area. Most reputable shops will use similar computer programs and paint/materials. Their labor rates will be consistent across the board. The only real variances will be how much time each estimator allots to repair (such as strip time). The difference of a vehicle having no sunroof to having a sunroof will also make the price go up, because you go from a flat open panel to having to mask off an opening to the car. If the bumper has a fair amount of road rash, again strip time may be on there. Do you have a copy of one of the estimates I can see? A couple pictures would go a long way, too.
Old 08-31-13, 09:44 AM
hiendo85
Rookie

Hey KRAVA, PM Sent....
Old 08-31-13, 08:02 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

It's all about who you know..... I paid $250 to repaint a whole door and touchup the front end. It came out just like OEM.

They blended too so that it didn't look off, so you won't even be able to tell they painted it.

If it's $250, I would ASK to see the work they've done on a car, on a car with 3-stage/pearled paint anyways.
Old 08-31-13, 09:42 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default Here is Damage pictures

Here are pictures since it didn't work

<BR>

<BR>
Old 08-31-13, 09:45 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default Here is Damage pictures

Here are pictures since it didn't work

<BR>
<BR>
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-31-13, 09:47 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default I give up

the link to the pictures are here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...age-13552.html

no idea how to post them in a msg sorry
Old 09-01-13, 12:23 AM
XxGoKoUxX

well, it doesn't look like $3100 worth of work..... I can tell you that now, fixing all that should only get you out at $1000 MAX IMO. Keep in mind, it costs about $3100 from a reputable shop to repaint a small car again.... At least down here in FL anyways.
Old 09-01-13, 12:33 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Sorry for a double post guys, apparently CL is giving me a database error....

There ya go, you have to link the .jpg to the link, not full hotlinks.

Quick Reply: Front damage etc on Car advice