GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 GS350 Nav screen question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 08:50 PM
Jeepdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 GS350 Nav screen question

OK..so I had the dreaded "Digitizer stopped responding" issue with my Nav screen. I took it apart to repair and now, screen is all white...also the digitizer cracked.

I used to be an electronic tech for many years and fixed many PCBs in the past, but somehow a small transformer on the PCB that drives the LCD panel broke. It is un-repairable as it is surface mounted and I wouldn't even know where to get the part. Also, I was chipping away the glass to get at the traces under the edge of the digitizer and the glass cracked.

Anyway; here is my question. Does anyone know if the driver PCB, LCD panel and Digitizer are the same on the Nav and Non Nav units? All I need to repair the screen are those three parts. I have seen the non-Nav units much cheaper than the Nav units. Even if I can get a used one, at least I can get the screen to work again in my wifes car.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-08-13, 09:44 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't tell you if they're the same.... But I can tell you between the years, it most definitely differs. Certain generations of these DVDs/Nav units have higher definition screens.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I am a part time computer tech, and my father owns a repair shop.... But isn't the screen just a LCD panel, w/ a CFL bulb underneath, and the digitizer is a separate ribbon cable that goes on top of the LCD panel.

Doesn't the LCD+digitizer only contain 3 connections, as in CFL lead goes to inverter board, LCD ribbon goes to it's own port, and digitizer ribbon goes to it's own port?

I ask out of curiosity because I don't know...... Also, have you tried to check the back of the LCD panel to see if there is a model # you can go by to order a new monitor? I wouldn't know how far you can get with the digitizer though, since that is pretty transparent and probably a hard to find part #.
Old 09-09-13, 08:15 AM
Jeepdude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I can't tell you if they're the same.... But I can tell you between the years, it most definitely differs. Certain generations of these DVDs/Nav units have higher definition screens.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I am a part time computer tech, and my father owns a repair shop.... But isn't the screen just a LCD panel, w/ a CFL bulb underneath, and the digitizer is a separate ribbon cable that goes on top of the LCD panel.

Doesn't the LCD+digitizer only contain 3 connections, as in CFL lead goes to inverter board, LCD ribbon goes to it's own port, and digitizer ribbon goes to it's own port?

I ask out of curiosity because I don't know...... Also, have you tried to check the back of the LCD panel to see if there is a model # you can go by to order a new monitor? I wouldn't know how far you can get with the digitizer though, since that is pretty transparent and probably a hard to find part #.
The digitizer is a glass panel that lays on top of the LCD panel. You can find them on E-bay for around $45.00. There has been some success with replacing them.

I am pretty sure my LCD panel is OK, but the digitizer and driver PCB is bad. Lexus only sells the whole assembly; with Nav for around $8,000. I have found some entire assemblies for $1,200 on E-bay...but, if I could just get the driver board, LCD panel and digitizer out of a non-nav unit, I could save some serious bank.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-09-13, 08:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Jeepdude
The digitizer is a glass panel that lays on top of the LCD panel. You can find them on E-bay for around $45.00. There has been some success with replacing them.

I am pretty sure my LCD panel is OK, but the digitizer and driver PCB is bad. Lexus only sells the whole assembly; with Nav for around $8,000. I have found some entire assemblies for $1,200 on E-bay...but, if I could just get the driver board, LCD panel and digitizer out of a non-nav unit, I could save some serious bank.

Thanks for the response.
O wow, that's darn cheap! I thought the digitizer was a plastic panel, since it is soo soft on our cars (unlike my phone).

Since you have the nav unit, why not be safe and get the nav unit on ebay? I believe that's around the same price, and you don't have to do a swap-out.

Here is a thread of a guy who did a complete conversion, maybe you can PM him and get some insight from the OP:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-player-2.html

GL, and hope everything works out! I know if my other half found out I broke something or something's broken and I touched he, she'd give me HELL
Old 09-19-13, 12:53 AM
GS2100
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is what your looking for

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-Toyota-LEXUS-RX300-RX330-RX400H-LCD-TFT-DISPLAY-with-TOUCH-SCREEN-GVIF-/290710888760?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item43afb82138&vxp=mtr
Jeepdude if it works out for ya u owe me one.

Last edited by GS2100; 09-19-13 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 12:54 AM
GS2100
Driver

and if you want to go even cheaper here is the CHINA route

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2009-Toyota-LEXUS-GS300-GS350-GS430-GS450H-with-GVIF-navigation-Lcd-Screen-/231056715929?pt=GPS_Screen_Protectors&hash=item35cc0db099

Last edited by GS2100; 09-19-13 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 10:17 AM
XxGoKoUxX

WOW GS2100, you're the man!!! I'd neer think Ebay would have these screens
Old 09-19-13, 11:07 AM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a common problem with the 2IS. The touch screen wouldn't work because the ribbon connector to the screen breaks down over time. The solution is to open the unit scratch the glass where the connect meets the screen and use a circuit writer pen and make a new solid connection
Old 09-19-13, 11:54 AM
hiendo85
Rookie

do not buy the china lcd screen, my brother IS350 screen is broke, he bought the china lcd screen and its not working.. he lost that money, he ended up buying a whole new unit with nav on ebay for $800 and works like a charm. dont spend your money on something your not sure. i would just get the whole nav unit and replace it, save the hassle. i would email the seller and offer him a reasonable price and wait for the response. cause the seller originally wants $1000 for the unit and we my brother offer him 800 and deal was seal. try that.
Old 09-19-13, 10:11 PM
GS2100
Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
WOW GS2100, you're the man!!! I'd neer think Ebay would have these screens

I am The MAN . But I owe everything I learned to my Lexus brothers of this forum.

I'm also a computer guy like yourself.

Last edited by GS2100; 09-19-13 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 10:22 PM
GS2100
Driver

Originally Posted by hiendo85
do not buy the china lcd screen, my brother IS350 screen is broke, he bought the china lcd screen and its not working.. he lost that money, he ended up buying a whole new unit with nav on ebay for $800 and works like a charm. dont spend your money on something your not sure. i would just get the whole nav unit and replace it, save the hassle. i would email the seller and offer him a reasonable price and wait for the response. cause the seller originally wants $1000 for the unit and we my brother offer him 800 and deal was seal. try that.
sorry to hear that about your brother.

But don't fear PayPal is here, as long as the purchaser has good feedback PayPal will reimburse your purchase price in the case of an issue.

plus the Japanese one is only like 80 bucks more anyway.

it's just that I'm the man and all! I like to give my peeps options
Old 09-19-13, 11:03 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by GS2100
sorry to hear that about your brother.

But don't fear PayPal is here, as long as the purchaser has good feedback PayPal will reimburse your purchase price in the case of an issue.

plus the Japanese one is only like 80 bucks more anyway.

it's just that I'm the man and all! I like to give my peeps options
hahaha..... I'll be sure to hit you up in case I run into a RANDOM LCD problem....

Come to think of it... I'll PM you now since I have another LCD that went out on me long ago.
Old 09-20-13, 06:02 PM
Sheempa
Driver School Candidate

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the same situation. I have a 2007 GS350 and my screen is frozen. I took it to the dealer and they was going to charge me $1700.00. I decided to order a replacement screen(from ebay) and have lexus install the screen. I took it to the dealer and they had no clue what to do, so now I'm looking for a shop to install it for me.

Any advice on a shop in PA, NJ, or DE that can install screen?
Old 09-21-13, 09:01 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Screen frozen? It doesn't sound like you needed to buy a screen replacement.

Did you check for fuses under the glove compartment? Another member found out he BLEW a fuse under there.

The reason why the OP posted up he needed a replacement screen is because when he pushed down, there was no clicking available.
Old 09-21-13, 09:45 PM
GS2100
Driver

Originally Posted by Sheempa
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the same situation. I have a 2007 GS350 and my screen is frozen. I took it to the dealer and they was going to charge me $1700.00. I decided to order a replacement screen(from ebay) and have lexus install the screen. I took it to the dealer and they had no clue what to do, so now I'm looking for a shop to install it for me.

Any advice on a shop in PA, NJ, or DE that can install screen?
I might know a guy pm your contact info hes right up your ally too.

Quick Reply: 07 GS350 Nav screen question