GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Which oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 02:02 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
This is probably why you have carbon buildup
I doubt it, like 3000 km on a synthetic oil change is nothing. The dino stuff is rated for 8000 km intervals.
Old 09-28-13, 02:04 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
LOL! It took me 1yr and 2-3 months to burn 10k on my redline oil...... You definitely beat me in putting on the miles for the GS..... What is your DD anyways?
This is it. The GS is both mine and my wife's only car. Living in the core of Toronto means we don't have to drive much, we just walk to most of what we need or take the subway. Wife works a 10 minute drive from home, I work from a home office.

I bought the car 5 years ago with 57,000 miles on it. it has 68 on it now. Getting a new car for me would be royally stupid.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 09-28-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 03:53 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Oil breaks down within time, and attracts debris. If your going to run your oil for 10K atleast change out the filter every 3k miles.

Just because an oil company claims 10k miles doesn't mean the engine is designed to handle it. Look at the vw 1.8t those things are notorious for sludge buildup. Dealer even suggest before the recommended interval to change the oil, and for that engine its synthetic only.

There is nothing better then running fresh oil and filter, doesnt matter the brand as all oils in US must pass strict guidelines.
Old 09-28-13, 03:56 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Oil breaks down within time, and attracts debris. If your going to run your oil for 10K atleast change out the filter every 3k miles.

Just because an oil company claims 10k miles doesn't mean the engine is designed to handle it. Look at the vw 1.8t those things are notorious for sludge buildup. Dealer even suggest before the recommended interval to change the oil, and for that engine its synthetic only.

There is nothing better then running fresh oil and filter, doesnt matter the brand as all oils in US must pass strict guidelines.
That's nuts.
I go 7500 or one year on both oil and filter.
Old 09-28-13, 04:37 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Huh? I said I change my oil annually... I don't do the 10K miles thing. That means I change the oil every 12 months and during those 12 months I put at most like 2K miles on it. I think I'm treating the car extremely well. I changed the oil twice a year when I was still using the dino stuff and the car was still under warranty. It's just more convenient for me to not bother changing it more than once a year since I put so little mileage on it and I really don't think the amsoil is going to break down from age or absorb enough moisture in 12 months to matter.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 09-28-13 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 10:55 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
This is it. The GS is both mine and my wife's only car. Living in the core of Toronto means we don't have to drive much, we just walk to most of what we need or take the subway. Wife works a 10 minute drive from home, I work from a home office.

I bought the car 5 years ago with 57,000 miles on it. it has 68 on it now. Getting a new car for me would be royally stupid.
Oh jeez! Lucky you.... I use to NOT have to drive so much, for half a year, I was schooling at home/work was 30 minutes one way (I work once times a week). I am at the point of 35 mi each way now, 5 days a week. I do definitely enjoy the commute though. The attention I get at school is ridiculous...... Kinda makes me nervous though, so I may stop messing with the air suspension when I get to school.

I remember visiting Canada (I believe my cousin actually lives in Toronto too!) Taxi's are CHEAP AS DIRT, and you're right, I pretty much walked everywhere I go when I was there.... Mall, Club, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That's nuts.
I go 7500 or one year on both oil and filter.
Doesn't your light go off @ 5000 miles? What oil do YOU use, if you don't mind me asking?

For the record, I reset my light every ~5k, so it doesn't bother me

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Huh? I said I change my oil annually... I don't do the 10K miles thing. That means I change the oil every 12 months and during those 12 months I put at most like 2K miles on it. I think I'm treating the car extremely well. I changed the oil twice a year when I was still using the dino stuff and the car was still under warranty. It's just more convenient for me to not bother changing it more than once a year since I put so little mileage on it and I really don't think the amsoil is going to break down from age or absorb enough moisture in 12 months to matter.
It won't, Amsoil is a GREAT oil! Only reason why I did not go Amsoil is because Redline still topped it on the consensus when I was doing my research. Moisture is not a problem on engine oil like you think though. It's moisture in your brake fluid that's the problem brother.

I think what ibidu is referring to is the carbon build up in our oils. While it still does get buildup, that doesn't mean the oil has gone bad, meaning the oil is still usable. I highly doubt a filter change every 3500 miles is needed, a bit extreme.... But i guess its safer than sorry .
Old 09-29-13, 06:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX

Doesn't your light go off @ 5000 miles? What oil do YOU use, if you don't mind me asking?

For the record, I reset my light every ~5k, so it doesn't bother me

I've been a member of www.bobistheoilguy.com forum for many years.
I find that Toyota 0w20 is well liked and has tested well with many members with oil analysis tests.
Toyota oil is made by Exxon/Mobil to Toyota specs and is NOT the same as Mobil 1.
I also stay with the oem filter.
Also used Toyota 0w20 in my wife's CR-V.

Now my GS is a gaeage queen weekend pleasure vehicle.So I do about 5K miles per and change the oil yearly.
The CR-V goes 7500 miles or one year.

I'm tempted to go 0w30 or 5w30 Amsoil Signature or other brand because that engine used 5w30 for years but tests and debates on Bob's oil site shows 0w20 is fine.
I believe 0w20 is used to squeeze out a few tenths of extra MPG to meet the rising CAFE number regulation.

The 5K oil light should be at 10K but it's not a big deal to reset.
Old 09-29-13, 10:43 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I've been a member of www.bobistheoilguy.com forum for many years.
I find that Toyota 0w20 is well liked and has tested well with many members with oil analysis tests.
Toyota oil is made by Exxon/Mobil to Toyota specs and is NOT the same as Mobil 1.
I also stay with the oem filter.
Also used Toyota 0w20 in my wife's CR-V.

Now my GS is a gaeage queen weekend pleasure vehicle.So I do about 5K miles per and change the oil yearly.
The CR-V goes 7500 miles or one year.

I'm tempted to go 0w30 or 5w30 Amsoil Signature or other brand because that engine used 5w30 for years but tests and debates on Bob's oil site shows 0w20 is fine.
I believe 0w20 is used to squeeze out a few tenths of extra MPG to meet the rising CAFE number regulation.

The 5K oil light should be at 10K but it's not a big deal to reset.
Ha! I took most of my research based off of BITOG too! I'm a lurker though, not a poster.... I don't think i'm competent enough to contribute to how engine oil works .

Interesting that oil is different for Toyota than your typical-shelfed Mobil1. I'm guessing that's the same with Porsche too? They go 15,000 miles before a change using O.E. fluids.

I'm actually using 5w-20, with great great GREAT results. I'm a bit scared to venture in 0w-20, although Canadian Lexus/Toyota says it's okay. I do realize it's a bit easier to gain much better results when aiming for MPG runs than on, say, 5w-30.