GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wierd Electrical Issue *suggestion?*

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 10:25 AM
smilepak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Electrical Issue *suggestion?*

Hi

I been having this wierd electrical issue for the past 8 months that I can't seem to figure out. While driving, randomly (it started less frequent, but lately becoming more frequent) I will get an alert saying Check HeadLights...then a few minutes it alert again saying Check RearLamp...and then it disappear..and then reappear again in that cycle...

During the period of that appeared, my Daylight Turns off and on, my navigation goes black to white, it temporary disable my turn signal, temporary disable my door unlock/lock switch.

It happens no matter day or night. It happens no matter if i had the headlight switch turn to auto, on, or off.

I took it to the dealer once, they came up with nothing because the alert did not occur during their inspection, there is no log in the car for them to look at showing the issue.

I bought the Kiwi PLX 2 Wifi and download Dash Command on the iphone to see if it shows up any error code...
http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTWIFI

while the alert showed up on the vehicle, Dash Command doesn't show any error.

I had GARX headlight, swap back stock Philips, same issue. I check the brake lights, rear lights, and headlights, all seems to be on at least visually...

1) Anyone know of an OBD devices that could use to detect this

2) ANyon come across similar situation

3) Any other suggestion to look at?
Old 10-02-13, 10:50 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

It may be your sensors telling you the difference between night and day. I believe it's located all the way up front, in the middle. It's a bubble/hump on it. try covering it up 100% and see if it still persists.
Old 10-02-13, 07:37 PM
smilepak
Driver

Will give that a shot, doesn't hurt to try...will come back with result if that work
Old 10-02-13, 10:14 PM
XxGoKoUxX

GL! Let me know the results! If I don't answer within a few days, definitely PM me and i'll try to help you figure out other ways of diagnosing it. For all we know, it could just simply be a loose connection between that sensor and your system, causing the car to go a bit haywire.
Old 10-03-13, 09:11 PM
smilepak
Driver

Nope, that didn't worked

I got some Daylight Bulb on order, try to replace that to see if that is the issue
Old 10-03-13, 10:28 PM
XxGoKoUxX

When you say your navi went on and off.... After covering it, did it go to black mode? (night mode)

If so, then you can out that sensor for now..... I doubt it's a bulb, when those go out, no warning lights go off.... when you say Check headlights, does a little green symbol that says "VSC" ?
Old 10-04-13, 01:04 AM
TexasTaco
Driver

Pretty obvious but have you checked your battery or alternator?
Old 10-04-13, 01:21 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Doh.... that's a pretty obvious thing too that I overlooked.

You could always buy a cigarette lighter voltmeter, during the moment your car goes haywire, you can check real quick to see if it spiked down to 12v from 13.8-14v.
Old 10-04-13, 10:26 PM
GS2100
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=smilepak;8168157]Hi

"I been having this wierd electrical issue for the past 8 months that I can't seem to figure out.
While driving, randomly"

Based on what you wrote especially since you say "While driving, randomly" you have an electrical short somewhere ? I don't know the know the interconnections between the headlights brake lights and navi harness to point you in the right direction. But I would first ask do you remember making any changes 8 months ago, did anyone work on your GS ? anything even an oil change ?
Also I would check all relays for resistance. but honestly sounds like a loose connection or a partially severed wire. GL
Old 10-10-13, 03:06 PM
smilepak
Driver

The navi goes from daylight mode to night mode is what I meant...

Only occured in the past 8 months have been only oil change. See YOU TUBE of the dash board error messages.

During this period, what does not work or intermittingly work
1) My daylight turns off and on
2) My signal light does not work
3) My windshield wiper does not work
4) Navigation goes from daylight mode to night mode. (for each toggle it goes, the mode switches).

I checked battery, it is pretty new about a year old. I disconnected battery and reconnected. Replaced headlight. Have not replace daylight bulb yet.

I check rearlight all working.
Old 10-10-13, 10:20 PM
XxGoKoUxX

It sounds nothing like your daylight bulbs. It definitely sounds like a short, or a intermittent problem with a sensor..... See if your local dealer sells the sensors for cheap, and have those replaced. You have one in the front (to switch from day and night) and you also have one in the rear, in your middle 3rd brake like (for your dashboard change).
Old 10-11-13, 09:55 AM
smilepak
Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
It sounds nothing like your daylight bulbs. It definitely sounds like a short, or a intermittent problem with a sensor..... See if your local dealer sells the sensors for cheap, and have those replaced. You have one in the front (to switch from day and night) and you also have one in the rear, in your middle 3rd brake like (for your dashboard change).
Which sensors? The one in the front which is that little bulb I had covered earlier? and the the one in the rear is what?
Old 10-11-13, 03:57 PM
smilepak
Driver

Well, replaced the headlights, daylights, and the little bulb inside the same housing as day light.

Still have the issue.
Old 10-11-13, 08:45 PM
XxGoKoUxX

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-the-deck.html

In the back of there is another sensor.

That little bulb you covered might be the problem though.... I'd see if sewell parts sells it and if it's cheap, replace THAT first.
Old 10-21-13, 02:57 PM
smilepak
Driver

Wonder...anyone familiar with the electrical wiring layout of the GS?

What do all of these items have in common (to a relay, circuit board, switch, etc?) Maybe one of them are bad..

1) Windshield Wiper
2) Door Lock/Unlock switch
3) Daylight Running on/off
4) Toggle day/nite mode on navigation
5) turn signal toggle (left/right)
6) navigation turn on backup camera when in reverse
7) side mirror title down when in reverse

all of those does not work or conflict when I have that damn warning signal