GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS460 Owners, You wanna know how rare your GS is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 02:54 AM
Leximum
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GS460 - A rare pedigree

Originally Posted by LexLeezard
Yep, team 2008 GS460 here too. How rare is the Canadian edition? I sure don't know the answer to that Q. Haven't seen any others in S Alberta, and very very few advertised across Canada. Will keep this one for a good, long time. Fuel mileage is extraordinary for a "big" v8, 8-speed tranny is superb, the overall drive is more than I could have ever expected. New ECB front discs and Okebono pads, new no-name rear discs and pads, 64,000KM maintenance done. Everything is 100%. Wonderful vehicle. Could this be the best ever made? She's far superior to the Titanic in dry-dock or a MIG-21 on the suburban evening commute, that's for sure ... Cheers to all / LexLeezard
Congrats!
I would keep this gem to claim the bragging right as long as you are winning the salt battle in Alberta. Yours is the first one I heard about that is claimed to be Canadian pedigree.

I have been searching high and low for one for nearly three years and only came up with one in 2016 in Kamloops, which is out of California. The previous owner didn't really look after it well enough and still asked for too much.
Old 02-04-19, 06:59 PM
VTCent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi guys,

New to the forum; I just bought a 2010 GS460, and am picking it up this weekend! I'm surprised to hear how rare the 2010 model is, especially in Canada. I'm excited to join the lexus club! I'll post pictures once I get it
Old 02-13-19, 12:59 AM
Leximum
Rookie

VTCent,
I am glad to hear someone finally is able to get one of these rare cars. May I ask whereabouts in Canada did you find this one? The one that I saw and didn't offer to buy was in Concord, ON. It was Silver/Black interior. What colour is yours?
Old 02-13-19, 05:42 AM
VTCent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Leximum
VTCent,
I am glad to hear someone finally is able to get one of these rare cars. May I ask whereabouts in Canada did you find this one? The one that I saw and didn't offer to buy was in Concord, ON. It was Silver/Black interior. What colour is yours?
Mine was a Mica Gray/ Black Interior, it was for sale in North York. Do you mind if i ask a couple questions about the car?
Old 02-20-19, 11:53 PM
Leximum
Rookie

Originally Posted by VTCent
Mine was a Mica Gray/ Black Interior, it was for sale in North York. Do you mind if i ask a couple questions about the car?
Not at all, go ahead. I had gathered enough info to the point that I was almost going to place an offer on this car until I realized the car had a potential repair that cost so much to the point that I knew the dealer would not drop the price for me to recover the cost of repair. Plus the fact that I still had to pay for a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection and transportation to Vancouver. I've attached some photos.
Old 03-01-19, 04:39 PM
Leximum
Rookie

@Fausty is correct in his explanation about the 8-speed auto. I read many who have complained about the decisiveness of the tranny to select the right gear. I have my LS460 for a few months and found out why the tranny behaves so indecisively. It is because of the number of speed relative to the range of speed at which the car has to travel. The poor tranny is electronically controlled. The device, for instance, is tasked to select maybe 5 gears out of 8 while travelling on a city stretch between 30mph to 40mph according to the driver's throttle response. That's a lot of calculation request that the device has to fulfill in a very short time. Plus, the stop and go driving pattern. Thus, the tranny's feedback becomes indecisive. The tranny has no problem shifting decisively if we boot it on the freeway. Personally, I doubt very much this can be resolved by engineering because different driver drives differently. That may be the reason not too many similar complaints have been posted. Another explanation from a friendly mechanic on my Infiniti M35x which had similar tranny feedback on city roads. He points it to the electronically controlled tranny. It seems to me the engineering aspect of the electronically controlled tranny is turning the table on us, the drivers.
Old 04-02-19, 01:02 PM
felixjhdez
Driver School Candidate

Yeah mine shifts to 8th gear at about 41 mph with easy throttle, after i did my exhaust and cat delete the transmission held the gears better and offered more power at lower rpms/speeds and it stopped that excessive downshifting in the city, it feels like a completetly different car now and i love it. I believe its programmed to do that 2 step downshift when you gun it on the highway
Old 04-03-19, 06:12 PM
Alldatjazz
Driver School Candidate

In case anyone is interested, there's a 2011 for sale in Hawaii right now, with 40k miles. Silver/blk clean title 23k obo. I'm not affiliated with the seller/dealer. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
Old 04-28-19, 01:59 AM
herc8000
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleycole
Team '08 GS460 here. Good info. The V8 is amazing. Always wondered why it didn't sell more units.
Me too it is a great car!
Old 06-07-19, 03:33 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

one of these ghosts showed up here for service last week. whenever a GS460 shows up i always take a peek at the door jam to see what year it is, or if its an actual 460 and not a 350 wearing 460 badges (seen this twice now lol) one that showed up here was a 2011 rarest of the rare. im one of the LTS at the dealership that teach folks how to use features in their cars. owner was a pretty cool dude and we spent some time talking about the rarity of the car. paired his phone to the car and walked him through some of the voice commands. OG owner car only had 64k on the clock. he already knew it was special and obscure, but had no idea of just what a unicorn he really had. before i could even ask if he would ever consider selling it he beat me to the punch and told me he was planning on keeping it either till he died or there was nothing left of it lol. it was the only 2011 ive ever seen, and will probably ever see again considering a scant 23 examples exist here in the USA. yes, thats right. 23......
Old 06-07-19, 08:33 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Alldatjazz
In case anyone is interested, there's a 2011 for sale in Hawaii right now, with 40k miles. Silver/blk clean title 23k obo. I'm not affiliated with the seller/dealer. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
there's a 2010 with 57k miles on autotrader right now as well- Kentucky. According to the carfax, it looks like it was a one- owner car that the second owner bought to flip(only had it a month before putting it up for sale)- 23500 right now.
Old 06-13-19, 01:01 AM
Leximum
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fausty
I think in my opinion its the hesitation on which gear to down shift too. For everyday normal driving its fine and is excellent on the mpg especially on the highway. I averaged 29 mpg once on a trip to Orlando. But when it comes to driving spirited the transmission sometimes doesn't know what hear to downshift too. But when it does it puts a smile on my face
I have a 2013 LS460. When I want it to go fast on the freeway, I use the manual mode and shift it like a stick and have had no problem. Did you try that?
Here are my own observations. We need to understand the gear ratios of the auto 8-speed tranny are very close. You might have noticed when you move to manual mode for spirited driving, the tranny drops two speeds, say from 8 to 6 in order to get the throttle to match the RPM, thus, increasing the torque for spirited driving. This is done by design. If your throttle response doesn't match the RPM when using the auto, the shift actuator has to do a series of calculations trying to find the optimum gear. That causes the hesitation, albeit milli-seconds. That's why the double clutch tranny (DCT) is more superior than the traditional torque converter ECT. The DCT has two clutches. One clutch controls the odd gear, while the other controls the even gear. Thus, there is always a gear in waiting to be shifted in place, without calculation, so to speak. I used to have an Infiniti M35X. It had the same hesitation problem at certain highway speed. My mechanic told me it was because of the ECT shift actuator making calculations to find the optimum gear to match my throttle response. I can tell you, not too many drivers can tell the hesitation. My wife told me she was not able to tell the difference.
Old 06-25-19, 08:10 PM
Cmg5680
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I've been looking for GS460 ('09 and up) for awhile now. Never seem to find one, only '08's.

I recently came across production numbers on Lexus PDF from '08-'10. I didn't get the '11 file..

But according to the Lexus PDF files..

GS460 Production #'s

2008 = 1,616 Units
2009 = 56 Units
2010 = 43 Units
2011 = ?

That is RARE!! Even '08's limited to 1,616. I want to know how many in 2011 Since that year was "Special Order ONLY"..

'09 and '10 (56 and 43) Produced!!! WOW

My sources:

Love my 08 gs460 i also have the radar cruise control very rare
Old 06-25-19, 08:59 PM
Leximum
Rookie

Default GS460 Owners

Originally Posted by Cmg5680

The number you've shown is not produced. They are in North America, probably US and Canada. I know there may be just no more than 4 or 5 in Canada.
Nonetheless, the Canadians you can still get them from Japan when the 08 reaches 15 years old.
Old 06-26-19, 05:37 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmg5680

Ah, beautiful. I looked for a silver GS460 for quite a while, but picked up my Smoky Granite Mica for the right price with just 16k on it back in 2014. Absolutely love this color with the smoked silver wheels from the factory.

Quick Reply: GS460 Owners, You wanna know how rare your GS is?