GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My 2006 Lexus GS 300 falling a part?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 06:24 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2100
Guys stay on topic .... To the OP just buy a denso alternator from rockauto or similar autoparts retailer have a reputable shop install it and be done with it.
Agreed. 1459 is absurd. Stop going to dealer for work
Old 12-05-13, 06:31 AM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the replies! I have the car back and seems to run flawless as it always has. Just tired of expensive repairs.

I have 5 vehicles with the Lexus GS being the worst of the bunch. I even have a Dodge Viper that doesn't come anywhere close to the problems of this car.
Old 12-06-13, 11:54 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, how many miles on the Viper and how many miles on the GS?
Old 12-06-13, 03:50 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Viper is has 9K miles on it however it's old (1994)
GS has 86K. I also have a 2003 F250 with around
82K miles and not one single problem other
than battery. I haven't even replaced brakes on
The F250.

Last edited by nickeltime; 12-06-13 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 05:48 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Still no real problems on my 06. Far as I can tell it doesn't burn oil. I have a spare alternator in the garage I got for $100... but I've had alternators die on other cars it's not unusual. I'd like to replace the car with an SUV but so far I can't really find one that I actually like and I hate switching cars because every time you do it you're bleeding money.
Old 12-07-13, 12:04 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Still no real problems on my 06. Far as I can tell it doesn't burn oil. I have a spare alternator in the garage I got for $100... but I've had alternators die on other cars it's not unusual. I'd like to replace the car with an SUV but so far I can't really find one that I actually like and I hate switching cars because every time you do it you're bleeding money.
If I were you, I would take your car into Lexus for the engine rebuild check just to be on the safe side. They gave me a loaner and waved the diagnostic fee. They rebuilt at no charge even though it was out warranty.
These cars still look fantastic and modern. Just tired of the small expensive repairs.
Old 12-07-13, 09:07 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nickeltime
If I were you, I would take your car into Lexus for the engine rebuild check just to be on the safe side. They gave me a loaner and waved the diagnostic fee. They rebuilt at no charge even though it was out warranty.
These cars still look fantastic and modern. Just tired of the small expensive repairs.
I've already gone through all of that crap, nobody wants to help me here even though I did bring it into one dealer with misfire codes they expected me to pay $500 for a compression check before they would do anything about it (even showed them the warranty bulletin.....).

Another dealer said they would work on the car if I could bring it to them with the check engine light on and codes stored... of course car has not given me a check engine light or any codes since. I believe this warranty is done on my car this coming September. I don't believe I'd be having so many problems getting this "fixed" if it wasn't for the fact that I brought it in a long while ago for the same issues and the fix at that time was the bandaid top engine clean.... so the valves in my case have been recently cleaned and aren't totally wrecked with crud again enough to really give me consistent problems yet and won't be until long after this special warranty is done.

Then again how many people have come on here recently to say they had one of these major services done to their car and got it back worse than it was before?! This really might be a cure worse than the disease case. Honestly one of the major things that are keeping me with this car are the fact that I have pretty much brand new sets of tires for summer and winter and pretty much brand new rims (and the old ones are long sold) for the summer set and I'll NEVER get anything close to the value I paid for them back out again other than just wearing them out myself.

Honestly the car is OK for me, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be always checking for pending codes at this point and probably wouldn't even have a thought in my mind about any of this stuff. It really has been very reliable... of course, though, like I said... I have not put a lot of mileage on it but the thing still looks darn near new inside and out after it gets cleaned up and even though it's pretty "old" now it just doesn't look it even design wise. The 3GS I think was a really really great body design. 4GS definitely looks nice but I think Lexus lately has gone a bit too far into the boy racer fantasy zone and the trendiness is not going to translate into a lasting modern feel.

Bottom line is, I am not very concerned about carbon buildup. If it needs a $200 top engine clean every 100,000 km then fine... the only thing that worries me about the engine at this point is if one day it starts eating oil. I have to say I do wish I did a little more research when I bought it and just ponied up the extra 5K at the time for an 07 even though I really don't care about the extra horsepower I find the 3GR has more than enough go for me... especially since 80% of the time I have two kids in the back now anyway.

Next car needs to be bigger... suggest something as reliable as I expected out of Lexus, has parking sensors (!!! we are addicted to these stupid things now), is much roomier for cargo and won't break the bank!

Last edited by BinaryJay; 12-07-13 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 07:32 AM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

BinaryJay, Very good read and great thoughts!
Old 12-10-13, 07:35 AM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have a thought on what my 2006 GS is worth with 86K miles? 2nd owner, bought preowned certified. No Nav. Beautiful condition. Looks almost new! Probably going to sell it.
Old 12-10-13, 08:33 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I've already gone through all of that crap, nobody wants to help me here even though I did bring it into one dealer with misfire codes they expected me to pay $500 for a compression check before they would do anything about it (even showed them the warranty bulletin.....).

Another dealer said they would work on the car if I could bring it to them with the check engine light on and codes stored... of course car has not given me a check engine light or any codes since. I believe this warranty is done on my car this coming September. I don't believe I'd be having so many problems getting this "fixed" if it wasn't for the fact that I brought it in a long while ago for the same issues and the fix at that time was the bandaid top engine clean.... so the valves in my case have been recently cleaned and aren't totally wrecked with crud again enough to really give me consistent problems yet and won't be until long after this special warranty is done.

Then again how many people have come on here recently to say they had one of these major services done to their car and got it back worse than it was before?! This really might be a cure worse than the disease case. Honestly one of the major things that are keeping me with this car are the fact that I have pretty much brand new sets of tires for summer and winter and pretty much brand new rims (and the old ones are long sold) for the summer set and I'll NEVER get anything close to the value I paid for them back out again other than just wearing them out myself.

Honestly the car is OK for me, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be always checking for pending codes at this point and probably wouldn't even have a thought in my mind about any of this stuff. It really has been very reliable... of course, though, like I said... I have not put a lot of mileage on it but the thing still looks darn near new inside and out after it gets cleaned up and even though it's pretty "old" now it just doesn't look it even design wise. The 3GS I think was a really really great body design. 4GS definitely looks nice but I think Lexus lately has gone a bit too far into the boy racer fantasy zone and the trendiness is not going to translate into a lasting modern feel.

Bottom line is, I am not very concerned about carbon buildup. If it needs a $200 top engine clean every 100,000 km then fine... the only thing that worries me about the engine at this point is if one day it starts eating oil. I have to say I do wish I did a little more research when I bought it and just ponied up the extra 5K at the time for an 07 even though I really don't care about the extra horsepower I find the 3GR has more than enough go for me... especially since 80% of the time I have two kids in the back now anyway.

Next car needs to be bigger... suggest something as reliable as I expected out of Lexus, has parking sensors (!!! we are addicted to these stupid things now), is much roomier for cargo and won't break the bank!
Cadillac DTS. Surprisingly decent on gas too, and it's a land yacht. Doesn't get comfier than that [for typical cars, maybach's excluded lol] and can be had for very reasonable money with no issues on the cars.

Originally Posted by nickeltime
Anyone have a thought on what my 2006 GS is worth with 86K miles? 2nd owner, bought preowned certified. No Nav. Beautiful condition. Looks almost new! Probably going to sell it.
15-18k ? You can get '08s in the mid-low 20's
Old 12-18-13, 11:32 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea just take it to ur local mechanic, the dealer for me is a last resort