GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 has timing chain? not timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 12:54 PM
janmy7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 has timing chain? not timing belt?

Hi, my GS350 has 75k now.
I asked dealer's service guy to see if I need to change the timing belt.
However, I had been told that the GS350 equiped with the timing chain. No need to change at all.
Is it true?
Old 12-30-13, 02:06 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yes it is. Much better than the belt
Old 01-06-14, 06:38 AM
janmy7
Rookie

Does it mean we don't need to change it?
Old 01-06-14, 07:11 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chains generally do not need change unless for some reason they are about to fall apart. They should be inspected for stretching or abnormal wear/loose pins in case something was off (timing, infrequent oil changes, etc...) and is causing damage to the chain slowly.

In the highly unlikely case a chain breaks it will do serious damage.
Old 01-06-14, 07:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

as mentioned, yes it is a chain. they do require less maintenance but that doesnt mean they do not have to be changed.
Old 01-06-14, 08:39 AM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any idea on when it should be changed? Is it recommended by Lexus at a specific mileage?
Old 01-06-14, 10:23 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no regular maintenance interval for replacing it. It should be replaced when found to be damaged, which under normal use should not happen.

In marketing speak, it is intended to last the life of the vehicle. Unless your timing is off or you have abnormal clicking/rattling noises from the area of the chain, there is no other clear indication it needs changing. Actually checking it takes a bit of work as it is pretty sealed away inside the engine: see the images of the chain/cam alignment from the DYI thread on this forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...eck-2grfse.pdf
Old 01-05-21, 10:04 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of us who actually keep a car until problems occur which is several hundred thousand miles on a Toy/Lex it just sucks they went with chains. Parts alone cost several times the price for timing chain components vs belt setups and with today's timing belt technology the belts today have proven to last nearly as long as chains so there was actually no reason for it. Chains only last about 25k more miles, actually its less since most belts we remove still perform fine at 100k so they can raise intervals a tad.
Since most Toy/Lexus vehicles with chains today force mechanics to pull the engine to even change their chain setups where Toy designers always left room for timing belt changes (considered routine maintenance) this makes the labor on most chain swaps extremely expensive. They've finally made about every engine non-interference so it dont damage engines now so they should have kept the belt setup, its much cheaper over the life of a vehicle if one simply does the math on them.
By no longer allowing room to change out timing components nor spark plugs in many of their vehicles without removing the cow, entire wiper assembly and plenum Toy sure has drifted from how they were originally designed with easy maintanence in mind. Now its more like owning a GM, well except Toys don't literally fall apart at every mile you drive one but repairing them both, oh yes same ol' same ol.
Old 01-05-21, 11:19 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by 123go
For those of us who actually keep a car until problems occur which is several hundred thousand miles on a Toy/Lex it just sucks they went with chains. Parts alone cost several times the price for timing chain components vs belt setups and with today's timing belt technology the belts today have proven to last nearly as long as chains so there was actually no reason for it. Chains only last about 25k more miles, actually its less since most belts we remove still perform fine at 100k so they can raise intervals a tad.
Since most Toy/Lexus vehicles with chains today force mechanics to pull the engine to even change their chain setups where Toy designers always left room for timing belt changes (considered routine maintenance) this makes the labor on most chain swaps extremely expensive. They've finally made about every engine non-interference so it dont damage engines now so they should have kept the belt setup, its much cheaper over the life of a vehicle if one simply does the math on them.
By no longer allowing room to change out timing components nor spark plugs in many of their vehicles without removing the cow, entire wiper assembly and plenum Toy sure has drifted from how they were originally designed with easy maintanence in mind. Now its more like owning a GM, well except Toys don't literally fall apart at every mile you drive one but repairing them both, oh yes same ol' same ol.
You can easily get up to 300k miles with a timing chain so long as the vehicle oil has been replaced regularly and you dont drive it like a hot rod. Rubber belts do not last no where near the chains, belts wear over time even when not driven. Especially cars in hotter climates the belts wear faster. Your are talking about a thin strip of reinforced rubber vs a steel chain and sprockets.

Having to remove the engine just to replace a timing chain, this is new to me. I know the timing covers are a pain to remove but to remove the engine thats a bit excessive.
Old 01-05-21, 06:31 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You can easily get up to 300k miles with a timing chain so long as the vehicle oil has been replaced regularly and you dont drive it like a hot rod. Rubber belts do not last no where near the chains, belts wear over time even when not driven. Especially cars in hotter climates the belts wear faster. Your are talking about a thin strip of reinforced rubber vs a steel chain and sprockets.

Having to remove the engine just to replace a timing chain, this is new to me. I know the timing covers are a pain to remove but to remove the engine thats a bit excessive.
I agree. I have a 2011 Infiniti QX56 that had the dreaded timing chain issue. I personally did not have any issues as I follow the recommended oil change interval and use a synthetic oil. I had it done since they issued a recall but they did not have to remove the engine and there isn’t any room on the front of that engine even with accessories removed. I think the cost to replace the timing chain was about $3,200.

On the other hand, I also have my 94 Acura Legend which does have a timing belt that is recommended to be changed every 7/100k. It’s actually past time for me to change it since it’s been about 12 yrs but but only 10k in mileage. Since I don’t drive it I haven’t gotten around to changing it but when I had it changed with the water pump 12 years ago, it was $1,600.

I’m glad I don’t have to worry about a belt on my GS350. You can get well over 300k with a timing chain with good maintenance and not trying to stretch oil changes to save a few dollars. Even if it does start to stretch you will trigger codes that show the timing is off unless you have an unfortunate break, which I have not heard of on this car.
Old 01-06-21, 01:09 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

One of the largest timing chain makers says this about chain life. This is also an OEM supplier too btw.. Anyone with an interference engine should keep it in mind.
https://www.cloyes.com/timing-chain-...ked-questions/

I don't own a front wheel drive Toy/Lex anymore only RWD models but' its only because I do my own repairs albeit limited now days due to health but before I buy a vehicle I look closely to see how hard its repairs look to be as even basics like plugs/oil changes etc. can sure be a real P.I.T.A. on certain cars or cost you plenty in a shop.
Case in point- I bought a brand new Monza 2+2 way back in 1976 with the 350 V8 in it and at first tune up I learned its engine had to be unbolted and lifted just to do the back (2) drivers side spark plugs since the steering box blocked them. Couldn't even put a spark plug socket alone on them it was that close. Working two jobs then with a new son I had no time for nonsense and GM wanted over $200 labor (ridiculous back then) to put in new plugs. That was every 25k back then too so I bought a much cheaper "For Sale" sign instead for that p.o.s.. I've "always" looked much closer at things before leaping since that ol' Monza..lol. Lesson learned...

From this website:
Here's what they say here about some Toy/Lex needing engines pulled to change the chain,its about the same at dealer as the QX56 Gatch350 paid. Very shocked with all the timing chain failures Nissan has your so lucky. My nephew is a Nissan mechanic and he's changed out hundreds of failed chains and has saw many destroyed engines over it all. Renault simply caused a huge mess on several flawless engines especially their V6.
But' back on subject I never had to deal with pulling these engines,as neither of our rear wheel drive engines sit sideways and they have room to work. My belt is a breeze in my Tundra and OEM Aisin with no gears to ever buy so kit with water pump is less than $250 total with hyd tensioner (sold seperatly). Took me about 3.5 hrs time to install, I only done it a couple times in 360k miles but also same in my 4Runner so I have it all down pretty good. The LS430 is same as Tundra but not been needed with so low miles still.
Timing chain changes I mentioned?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/

Old 01-06-21, 10:47 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I agree. I have a 2011 Infiniti QX56 that had the dreaded timing chain issue. I personally did not have any issues as I follow the recommended oil change interval and use a synthetic oil. I had it done since they issued a recall but they did not have to remove the engine and there isn’t any room on the front of that engine even with accessories removed. I think the cost to replace the timing chain was about $3,200.
Nissan has gone downhill in regards to the powertrain. CVT transmission fails at 70k+, engine sounds like they're falling apart. etc.

Anyways, back to Toyota\Lexus. You really don't have to change the timing chain unless there is slack or damage with the chain. I don't think it's even listed in the maintenance book that comes with the vehicle.
Old 01-07-21, 01:14 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Like so many other owners I had to replace timing chains on all my old Toyotas. All were 4cyl trucks with +/- 200k city miles when OEM chains failed & oil changed every 3k like clockwork.
Both my 1980 & 1984 trucks chains stretched and wore the dreaded hole in their timing cover that occurs. My 1991 I changed early but it still almost wore through the cover at 170k. Upgraded its chain to duel fwiw.
My first Toyota, a 1971 Hilux was the only Toyota chain that snapped (double row) but I hauled a lot in that one. I've replaced mostly GM/Ford chains over the yrs. A bunch of them!!

Today there's million mile 4.7 engines online and a T-100 near me hit a million a few yrs ago so really until an original Toyota timing chain hits high miles I call BS on their chains lasting the life of a Toy as claimed. Like they're lifetime tranny fluid does?

Many owners think as long as an engine starts its chain is all good inside, not true! Any chain/gears ignored too long can eventually wear down so bad they clog an oil pickup screen and starve engines of oil.
This process happens slowly over time as my brother's shop sees it a lot in high mile engines so inspect your chain/gears closely when removed.
Simply pull your oil pan and clean everything out if its heavily worn because any shavings that dont make it into your filter are wedged in your pickup screen.

Chain symptoms to watch for:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...g-timing-chain
Old 06-12-22, 09:08 AM
LockportNY
3rd Gear

Default 2013 GS350 Sub timing chain broke

My vehicle is a 2013 GS350 with about 97,000 miles. I was driving it to work and parked it. After getting back inside the vehicle (about 1 hour later) I went to start it up and the check engine light was on. It wasn't starting well and when it did start the engine sounded like it was bogging down especially when i went to push on the gas pedal. I drove it off a military base and wasn't able to push on the gas pedal hard or it would bog down and sound like it was gonna stall. I pulled over and had it towed to Northtown Lexus.
Currently it is getting looked at and 500.00 for labor on trying to figure out what is wrong. The service dept said they need to take the engine out and apart to further see the issue but can already see that the "sub timing chain" broke. When that happened the exhaust cam was still turning and the engine was still running. The valves were held open or were stuck and he said some some other things i can't remember. He tried using a boriscope to see the head and valve seat but needs to take apart engine due to not being able to see.
They had to pull the head, exhaust valve is bent and fix the sub chain. 7,000.00 to do that. If they need to replace the cylinder head its 1500.00 and if there is piston damage then more costs! They said they haven't seen this before and I perform regular oil changes at 10,000 intervals using Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic oil with the best oil filter. I'm not sure why this happened and I'm in a bind. They offered to buy the car for 7,000 or can fix it but who knows how much more it will cost (7-10k or more).

Anyone else have this issue?