GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS430 In NYC Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14 | 08:52 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Default GS430 In NYC Snow

Well we had a few inches of snow in NYC today and I must say, GS performed flawlessly.
I didn't have to drive anywhere, but I love snow and I love driving in it. So we went to visit a few relatives. Picked up my parents to go see my sister and her newborn.

Snow mode helps a bit here and there, but if you know what you are doing, you are Ok.. Traction control along with stability control keeps you in line most of the time. A few times I did turn the traction control off to better manage my situation, but aside from that, I'd say the car did great.
Continental DWS tires all around, 75% thread I'd say.

Needless to say I hosed the car clean once home. No salt on my cars.

A few years ago I drove from NYC to VT Killington in my 98 Lincoln Mark 8 during a blizzard. I think i was the only one driving a RWD car on Taconic Pkwy going North. How I made it there and back I don't know, but I did.
People blame their cars for being bad in snow, but the truth of the matter is it all depends what tires you have and how you drive.

Happy motoring!!
Old 01-03-14 | 09:25 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear you had a positive experience in the snow! Truthfully whenever snow hits Texas, the cars stay parked. It's not that I don't trust my own driving; it's the others I don't trust.
Old 01-03-14 | 11:27 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

+1 for staying home where it's MOSTLY safe. Until some idiot lost control and drive through your bedroom. LOL

That was the main reason I choose DWS, a little better in the snow comparing to the previous DW on my car.
Old 01-05-14 | 01:03 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

DWS are great tires in snow I have to say, I have an awd with DWS on them and did not have any issues starting or stopping. I was also going 50-60 in the left lane on the highway which had about 4 inches of snow without a issue. In snow it all depends on the driver and the tires. If i lived somewhere upstate I would defiantly get me a dedicated set of snow tires, but here in NYC we barely see snow.
Old 01-05-14 | 02:35 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by worker
+1 for staying home where it's MOSTLY safe. Until some idiot lost control and drive through your bedroom. LOL

That was the main reason I choose DWS, a little better in the snow comparing to the previous DW on my car.
Maybe a little bit better but if you live somewhere that has a real winter then they are still just about useless compared to a real set of winter tires... not even sure what the excuse for not having a set of winters is it's not like it costs you much more in the long run when you net out all of the mileage.
Old 01-05-14 | 07:29 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Maybe a little bit better but if you live somewhere that has a real winter then they are still just about useless compared to a real set of winter tires... not even sure what the excuse for not having a set of winters is it's not like it costs you much more in the long run when you net out all of the mileage.
I would have to disagree with that statement, Winter tires are better in snow vs all season tires, I drove on my AS tires in 1 foot of snow, I was pushing snow with my bumper and still got around, when SUV with 4 wheel lock would get stuck. Do tires make a difference YES, but you can get around with a good set of all season tires also. As I stated above, If i lived in an area that get a foot of snow and it lasts about 2 months I would defiantly consider winter set, But living in a city where streets get plowed and not having room for storage, just doesn't worth it.
Old 01-06-14 | 07:28 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

My 3gs AWD performed flawlessly through two storms this winter season. While everyone was mostly off the road, I was not hesitant to drive at all considering I have been through some worse storms before with my 3GS. I am on All seasons as well..
Old 01-06-14 | 11:38 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
thanks for the input.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=120

The Ultra High Performance tire that grips the track with tread temperatures of 200° is incompetent as its tread compound becomes like "hard plastic" at below 32°. Today's 80,000-mile tires require tread designs and compounds that maximize long, even wear... not winter traction.
Winter tire is not good in summer heat. Summer tire is not good in winter freeze. All Season is a compromise of both. In MD I see a balance of both summer heat and winter freeze. So I choose a tire that is a balance of both.

But like I said, too many idiots can't drive in snow here (city). Doesn't matter what tires you have, you can't out run idiots. They out number you A WHOLE ROAD to ONE. Only way is to stay out of their way by staying home.

If I live somewhere that see a lot of REAL snow, I'd have own a snowmobile.

My GS is a snowed-mobile.

My DWS tread pattern in the snow
Old 01-07-14 | 04:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i never had an issue with my all season tires in the snow. dont drive like a d-bag and you wont end up in a ditch.