GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can you visually inspect water pump for leakage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 03:37 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Can you visually inspect water pump for leakage?

Hey guys. 06 GS 430, 80k miles, still under CPO warranty for another 15 months or 20k, whichever comes first. I know the water pump is prone to leaking as the car gets up in age and I was wondering if there was a way for a non-tech person like myself to visually inspect it to look for leakage.

I should probably add that I don't know where the water pump is or what it looks like. Thanks for any help.

e
Old 01-11-14, 04:27 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. Look for a DIY thread on here, the guy was replacing his water pump. He had many pictures and I think he also show his old one have sign of leak.

I replaced my water pump at 100k miles. It didn't leak but was replacing the timing belt at the same time. Easier to do both. Might be cheaper on the labor side too since they kinda link.
Old 01-11-14, 04:29 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I'm thinking that if the water pump is leaking, it will be replaced under the CPO warranty and maybe I can get them to do the timing belt at the same time.
Old 01-11-14, 04:40 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

have you been adding coolant? If not, you are probably ok. You can lift the cover on bottom of car where oil filter is and look up in there for a good view.
Old 01-11-14, 05:39 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. 06 GS 430, 80k miles, still under CPO warranty for another 15 months or 20k, whichever comes first. I know the water pump is prone to leaking as the car gets up in age and I was wondering if there was a way for a non-tech person like myself to visually inspect it to look for leakage.

I should probably add that I don't know where the water pump is or what it looks like. Thanks for any help.

e
I took an i-phone to take a few pictures around the water pump pulley & idler. I didn't see any pink crust aound the area. At 94K miles I check your coolant reservoir once a week. I filled the reservoir to the Full mark level to get a good reference point. When the engine is hot, the level goes up about 1/4 inch.
Old 01-11-14, 05:59 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks Chuck. Where did you position the iphone to get the pictures? I really have no idea where I'm supposed to look. Thanks.

E
Old 01-11-14, 07:13 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I wrote a DIY for the 350 motor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...with-pics.html

When I was underneath changing my oil filter I could see the leaking coolant behind the pulley.
Old 01-11-14, 07:51 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

e-man, you have a gs430, you should have no worries about coolant leak, these are only prone on the gs300's and gs350's.

Hope this helps clarify things!
Old 01-11-14, 07:57 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I'm actually wishing it were leaking because (a) I'm still under CPO warranty and would love to have it replaced under warranty, and (b) I'm coming up on my timing belt service and if my water pump needs to be replaced anyway, maybe some of the timing belt service labor could get absorbed by the warranty.
Old 01-11-14, 08:06 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL..... I gotcha there brother.... as an FYI: I got my service completed, all for $900. Parts & labor.... There's a write up of what was done, and I've probably missed a few things here and there also.

Remember, all your services are bargainable (unless you're SOL with the only Lexus dealership within the next 100+ miles).
Old 01-11-14, 08:12 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

$900 at the dealership? I don't mind spending $50 for an oil change. I get a free car wash, good service, relaxing waiting room with all kinds of good stuff to eat and drink. But the last time i stopped in, they charged me $52 for a tire rotation and I went through the roof. That's just plain uncalled for. They are quoting me upwards of $1500 for the timing belt service and I just won't do it.
Old 01-11-14, 09:13 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Thanks Chuck. Where did you position the iphone to get the pictures? I really have no idea where I'm supposed to look. Thanks.

E
You'd probably need a long hand to get to the water pump pulley from the top. I'd take the pictures area between the crankshaft pulley and the water pump pulley.

Other poster already mentioned your GS430 water pump is not on the TSB list.
If taking pictures is a pain in the butt, I would check the coolant reservoir instead.

The reason I took the pictures is I noticed my reservoir went down 1/4 inch. Dealership performed last recall on my GS350 did a pressure test and found no leak.
Attached Thumbnails Can you visually inspect water pump for leakage?-gs430.jpg  
Old 01-11-14, 09:14 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Smile

I'm actually wishing it were leaking because (a) I'm still under CPO warranty and would love to have it replaced under warranty, and (b) I'm coming up on my timing belt service and if my water pump needs to be replaced anyway, maybe some of the timing belt service labor could get absorbed by the warranty.
Be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-11-14, 11:20 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
I wrote a DIY for the 350 motor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...with-pics.html

When I was underneath changing my oil filter I could see the leaking coolant behind the pulley.
I was referring to your thread. beautiful write up and informative BTW. thanks for that.

gs430 won't be easy to have problem. lol. its a good car.
Old 01-12-14, 09:05 AM
goober8
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine had water coolant leaks about 2 weeks after i bought my GS300 from the dealer. Luckily there was a mandatory 3 mth warranty on the car. Replaced it after they did a pressure test on the cooling system.

You can see from the pics i noticed my coolant tank was empty after two weeks. I did some search on CL and then headed to shine a light on the water pump and belt area and saw pink deposits. So i sent it back to the dealer right away.

Quick Reply: Can you visually inspect water pump for leakage?