GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need help buying my first GS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 07:44 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help buying my first GS350

Hello everyone! im new to the forum I have been hovering this thread for 6 months now trying to figure out the best GS350 for me. Im looking for a 08 RWD gs350 but want better insite on the what i will be doing with it.

This will be my daily driver, and i want to lower/bag it in the near future. im not seeing many suspension parts for the awd models and im curious as to why?

can someone help me pinpoint the right gs for me? what is the difference when it comes to problems and buying aftermarket parts between the 08 awd and 08 rwd models. ive read on this forum that the awd systems usually have suspension issues and i have read anyone having much problems with their rwd

I have seen alot of AWD models for sale in my area and rarely any RWD. i just dont want to be the one who says... "damn should've gotten a rwd."

also for a note i MAY end up in the further future doing a 2j swap if i want to get back into drifting. but this is like years in the future lol

thanks everyone
Old 03-01-14, 08:01 AM
shivam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll start it off, owning an awd gs350 has been good so far for me. But buying after market parts for an awd car is not easy. If you're thinking about lowering your car or having a staggered set up, stick to the rwd model. Make sure whatever gs350 you look at has had the recall work done, this engine has an issue with start up gridning noise.

Try to find a gs430 or a gs460 which are really rare but you can find those. The difference between the 08 plus models is the front grill, mirror turn signals and audio jack and a couple more which I'm missing but those are the ones of the top of my head. If you're gonna be daily driving stick to the 430 or 460 because those engines are so refined. And if you're gonna be modding stick to rwd if your weather permits you.
Old 03-02-14, 11:19 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shivam
I'll start it off, owning an awd gs350 has been good so far for me. But buying after market parts for an awd car is not easy. If you're thinking about lowering your car or having a staggered set up, stick to the rwd model. Make sure whatever gs350 you look at has had the recall work done, this engine has an issue with start up gridning noise.

Try to find a gs430 or a gs460 which are really rare but you can find those. The difference between the 08 plus models is the front grill, mirror turn signals and audio jack and a couple more which I'm missing but those are the ones of the top of my head. If you're gonna be daily driving stick to the 430 or 460 because those engines are so refined. And if you're gonna be modding stick to rwd if your weather permits you.
thanks shivam. yeah i was thinking of rwd. the 430 and 460 is just pretty expensive compared to the 350. im not worriedn about the small asthetic changes on the different years but i do know what you mean. our weather here in our area doesn't seem a problem in getting a rwd. are there any other things i should be aware of ?
Old 03-03-14, 10:29 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

does anyone know any coilovers or bags for an awd model 08 gs?
Old 03-03-14, 08:35 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Nothing but I'd suggest against it, as shivam suggested, if you plan on modding your GS, don't go AWD... LOL plain and simple

If I were in your shoes? I'd pay the extra for the v8s if it's available. There's a reason why it's more expensive .
Old 03-04-14, 04:30 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Nothing but I'd suggest against it, as shivam suggested, if you plan on modding your GS, don't go AWD... LOL plain and simple

If I were in your shoes? I'd pay the extra for the v8s if it's available. There's a reason why it's more expensive .
I saw a few v8s in middle TN but all of them is red with tan interior and blue with tan interior. looks like everyone keeping them around here. I found the one I want close by in white with black interior, but again, its AWD.

all I have been reading about is the wobble and vibrations when it comes to lowering the AWD it seems the issue is the rear axles not being long enough and people placing spacers on them. I have a CNC Mill and hopefully I can cut something up after diagnosing the issues with lowering these AWD models.

the only modifications I will be doing will be suspension. as far as staggered setup... I don't think I will be running staggered in size and width but In offset.
Old 03-04-14, 12:34 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by uberEJ
I saw a few v8s in middle TN but all of them is red with tan interior and blue with tan interior. looks like everyone keeping them around here. I found the one I want close by in white with black interior, but again, its AWD.

all I have been reading about is the wobble and vibrations when it comes to lowering the AWD it seems the issue is the rear axles not being long enough and people placing spacers on them. I have a CNC Mill and hopefully I can cut something up after diagnosing the issues with lowering these AWD models.

the only modifications I will be doing will be suspension. as far as staggered setup... I don't think I will be running staggered in size and width but In offset.
I have an AWD GS and love it but what everyone is saying is correct. If you lower it shes gonna vibrate and you don't get enough snow in TN to justify AWD. I'm pretty sure the spacers go on the front axles and there is no guarantee it will resolve the vibration issue.

They make coilovers for AWD and some people bag it as well and drive at regular height to keep the car from vibrating. However since you want to drop the car you truly want RWD.

They also don't make a full exhaust for AWD cars only axle back.
Old 03-04-14, 10:32 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Living in Chicago I opted for AWD... Which I'm happy about since we got snow again 2 days ago. I can't believe how this car handles in the snow - AMAZING!!! So coil overs are okay, but air ride is out of the question?? I'm thinking I'm not going to mess with the suspension if that's the case!!
Old 03-05-14, 05:19 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I am in middle TN too. You do not need AWD. Get RWD.
Old 03-05-14, 05:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

what Richard said
Old 03-05-14, 05:44 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alchemist
I am in middle TN too. You do not need AWD. Get RWD.
sweet bro what part? im in smyrna

so I have two choices

gs350 white with black interior awd 57000 miles

or

gs350 white with cashmere interior rwd 79000 miles

what would you choose both the same price?

another question do all models have the rear window screen that comes up ???
Old 03-05-14, 05:51 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YaMomma
I have an AWD GS and love it but what everyone is saying is correct. If you lower it shes gonna vibrate and you don't get enough snow in TN to justify AWD. I'm pretty sure the spacers go on the front axles and there is no guarantee it will resolve the vibration issue.

They make coilovers for AWD and some people bag it as well and drive at regular height to keep the car from vibrating. However since you want to drop the car you truly want RWD.

They also don't make a full exhaust for AWD cars only axle back.
im actually going to bag it with bc coilovers. yeah we don't get enough snow here but Im in love with the white and black interior.

id hate to really show dirt in the carpet with the cashmere.

I also do a lot of automotive work and machining as a hobby so I get pretty dirty lol.

ive been reading also the vibrations are only on low speed and doesn't really bother a lot of people... if that's the case I can deal with it.

been driving a built civic for almost 7 years now and im done with motors
Old 03-05-14, 07:33 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by uberEJ
sweet bro what part? im in smyrna

so I have two choices

gs350 white with black interior awd 57000 miles

or

gs350 white with cashmere interior rwd 79000 miles

what would you choose both the same price?

another question do all models have the rear window screen that comes up ???
Mt Juliet.

I am surprised these are same price. Does thew AWD not have NAV, Mark Levinson etc.?

I think the rear shade is standard. options are:

Mark Levinson w/Navigation System - $3,630
Mark Levinson audio system (reads MP3 format); Fourteen speakers; DVD/VCD; Entertainment display screen located in front; Includes: [NV] Navigation System
Preferred Accessory Package (PIO) - $210
Includes: [GN] Cargo Net (PIO) And [LM] Trunk Mat (PIO) And [WL] Wheel Locks (PIO)
Old 03-05-14, 07:47 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

all I know is both have have navi

awd is 08
rwd is 07

I can't figure out why they are the same price im guessing the dealership competing but even so it looks like im going with the 08 because I love black interior with white exterior, less miles, newer, and it looks a lot cleaner than the 07.

the 07 had quite a good amount of scratches on the woodgrain plastics and the cup holder cover had broken tabs.

I don't think the 08 has the rear shade... does anyone have a pic of where the button is for the rear shade? need to know what it looks like and location in the car

Last edited by uberEJ; 03-05-14 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 08:49 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Here's a picture I pulled off the internet, sorry it's so blurry, but at least you'll know where the switch is located. I believe the 2008 has this function standard... The shade button is the top left of the control panel.

Need help buying my first GS350-control_panel_2008.jpg

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Need help buying my first GS350