GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My First Lexus (bought today) - Lots of Issues (2006 GS430)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 05:26 PM
KevinM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get TPMS sensors on ebay for about $70 or less so that's an easy fix in my opinion. They're installed on the wheels anyway so if you're just changing out tires, it's not a big deal.

If you really don't want to run them in the wheels on the car, have them all installed in your spare tire... but I'd just use them anyway.
Old 03-26-14, 08:39 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
LOL there is always that segment of the population who would rather have an old luxury make with lots of problems instead of a brand new Hyundai or whatever for the same money... it's up to them, though I do wonder how they afford to keep them on the road sometimes.
Gotta love budget-ballers & their bass ackwards thinking!
Old 03-26-14, 10:55 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I don't want to be 'that guy,' but I'm concerned that this car might be a little above your head if you could barely afford one *with* all of these rather substantial issues. May have been best to save a bit longer for one with little to no issues.
Agreed, OP has no idea what problems lie ahead..... If you look at another post, a user who was JUST about to sell his GS in the UK, got a couple codes, it turned out he may have to replace 1 of 2 things. Catalytic converter up near the engine, or the o2 sensors for it. One's $200, the other's $2k+.....

Either way GL! Seems most of these folks have tried to answer your questions

Originally Posted by TexGS450
I read on one of the Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon forums that the tpms cannot be disabled. The reason was TPMS is has become mandatory. I too and dealing with the flashing TPMS light which came on after I installed aftermarket rims and the shop didn't swap the stems so i don't have any sensors. Now i did have a tire repaired at Walmart and the tech some how got the light to turn off, but it eventually came back on.
Yup, You can always install a pipe bomb style TPMS sensor thing if you don't want it.

Hope this gives some insight!

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
LOL there is always that segment of the population who would rather have an old luxury make with lots of problems instead of a brand new Hyundai or whatever for the same money... it's up to them, though I do wonder how they afford to keep them on the road sometimes.
Hahaha, agreed..... Not our business to tell them what to do, they're not family, and we don't know'em like that .

I dunno about you folks, but my next vehicle will either be a Genesis from Hyundai, and if I stay in the Lexus family it'll be a RX350 I'll miss the sporty ride, but I like room.

Originally Posted by KevinM
You can get TPMS sensors on ebay for about $70 or less so that's an easy fix in my opinion. They're installed on the wheels anyway so if you're just changing out tires, it's not a big deal.

If you really don't want to run them in the wheels on the car, have them all installed in your spare tire... but I'd just use them anyway.
I agree, I'd use'em anyways.... BUT I wouldn't put the TPMS sensors in the spare tire . What hapepsn whe nyou get a flat? you'll have 4 sensors flopping around inside your spare.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Gotta love budget-ballers & their bass ackwards thinking!
LOL... can't bash on'em though.... I'm very budget-minded also.... Times are tough, I can't pour ALL my time and money into the car
Old 03-27-14, 02:36 PM
KevinM
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX

I agree, I'd use'em anyways.... BUT I wouldn't put the TPMS sensors in the spare tire . What hapepsn whe nyou get a flat? you'll have 4 sensors flopping around inside your spare.
Haha - yeah, I wouldn't just throw them in there. I meant to have them installed in the wheel (all 4). I have a friend that chose to do that.
Old 03-27-14, 04:16 PM
striderg3
Rookie

The code I'm getting is P0430.
I saw a Video that spells out how to tell if its the O2 sensor or the CAT itself. Checking sensors on each side and their Voltage..
And using a infrared thermometer to check the inlet and outlet temp of the catalytic converter itself. So I guess it can be diagnosed easily.
My question is: should the car be losing power if its one or the other? OR both?

I found this on engine-codes.com
P0430 Lexus - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2

Possible causes
- Three way catalyst converter Bank 2 <--- what is meant by 3 way?
- Exhaust tube
- Intake air leaks
- Fuel injectors may be faulty
- Fuel injector leaks
- Spark plugs may be faulty
- Improper ignition timing
- Engine Control Module (ECM)
Old 03-27-14, 08:41 PM
striderg3
Rookie

IF my issue was a bad Catalytic converter(s) / leak(s) in exhaust / bad O2 sensor(s) - which one of these is most likely to be ruled out since the CEL didn't come back (after clearing) until over an hour of driving / city and highway...
Old 03-27-14, 11:29 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Take your car to an exhaust shop and have them lift it, they can inspect if you have corrosion (leaks) or not.

Once you rule that out, you can check bad o2 sensors/catalytic converters here:

if that rules out, then it's your o2 sensors.

GL!
Old 03-28-14, 04:18 PM
striderg3
Rookie

thanks, this helps a lot.
Old 04-05-14, 02:29 PM
striderg3
Rookie

I had the O2 sensors read. the voltage is normal and doesn't get messy under load.
Next step is to get the thermometer (infrared)

and also have to have the heat-shield removed and have the exhaust inspected for leaks...
every mechanic i have asked if they think my exhaust has leaks has told me no because they don't hear the leak. they had me rev it and said no way its an exhaust leak.. they would hear it..

i asked what if its a pinhole leak or just a hairline crack.. they said you should still be able to hear it.
is that true?
Old 04-05-14, 06:59 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by striderg3
I had the O2 sensors read. the voltage is normal and doesn't get messy under load.
Next step is to get the thermometer (infrared)

and also have to have the heat-shield removed and have the exhaust inspected for leaks...
every mechanic i have asked if they think my exhaust has leaks has told me no because they don't hear the leak. they had me rev it and said no way its an exhaust leak.. they would hear it..

i asked what if its a pinhole leak or just a hairline crack.. they said you should still be able to hear it.
is that true?
Based on my experience, I'd say you can't rule out that it may be a small leak or crack causing it.
My midpipe cracked due to a minor accident where I got rear ended. I couldn't hear anything different but I never crawled under the car. The car threw some similar codes (don't remember the exact ones) and the TRAC and CEL were on. Once they started tracing the issue, they found a crack on the midpipe and replaced it (~$1400 for OEM). When I got hit, the left exhaust tip was barely touched and it was enough to crack the pipe and throw codes.
Old 04-05-14, 08:51 PM
RedlexGs
Driver School Candidate

you can go to lexus.com or lexus owners and put your vin number and it will show you all the previos users work on the car at the lexus dealer.
Old 04-05-14, 10:29 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Let us know how you get things resolved! that infrared thermometer is definitely something you should "rent" or "buy" and check out.

GL!

P.S. Since I ran into your thread, check out one of the threads I just started, it posts up USED parts, who knows, you MIGHT be able to get away with a catalytic converter on the car!
Old 04-06-14, 09:31 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Let us know how you get things resolved! that infrared thermometer is definitely something you should "rent" or "buy" and check out.

GL!

P.S. Since I ran into your thread, check out one of the threads I just started, it posts up USED parts, who knows, you MIGHT be able to get away with a catalytic converter on the car!
FYI, used catalytic converters are illegal to sell.
Old 04-06-14, 05:39 PM
XxGoKoUxX

LOL, I didn't know that!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

These sellers are rebels.... LOL!
Old 04-07-14, 04:22 PM
striderg3
Rookie

hey guys, so finally I was able to pinpoint an exhaust leak by having it looked it by the 3rd mechanic. This mechanic had already had the car up on a lift and looked at the underneath but never checked for a leak. They all just said "you can hear it if there's an exhaust leak" and ruled that out immediately. TRUTH IS you can't really hear it - whether you rev or idle... you have to take a rubber hose and put your ear up to the hose... that's how this mechanic located it. its right behind the oxygen sensor where the heat-shield starts.

So now I've gotta have them cut that section of the pipe and mend it. they are saying about $120... no one is wanting to weld it.. they said it's best to cut a big piece out and insert a new piece in.
and for this they have to remove the exhaust from the Cat and then do the job... i was hoping since its not a big crack / hole, it could just be mended but mechanic said how will he reach the top side of the pipe?

Also noticed on the same side - the cat converter flange towards the back of the car has some spacing in it at the bottom.
I'm guessing from wear and tear. The other one was still sealed like new.
I guess maybe that may be letting some air through? Or are the gaskets doing the job of keeping that baby sealed shut no matter if the flange has some sealant missing at the bottom?
anyways that will be filled.

i also noticed my AFS arm in the rear driver wheel is actually angled as the pictures show in the postings by other users. My AFS light even went away the other day. Then came back. I guess its only off by 1cm or so. I didn't think they would be SO damn sensitive but i guess they are. I'll have to play with it till its fixed.

Then its onto fighting the TMPS sensors.
turns out my sensors are all still installed. i just saw the black tire pressure caps and assumed the whole thing was rubber but its actually metal suggesting the senors are still installed..

I CAN'T WAIT TO DRIVE THIS THING WITH ALL 6 LIGHTS / ERRORS OFF MY DASH.
IT FEELS AMAZING to drive. And i have owned a mercedes e500 2003. that was a 5.0L v8 but didn't feel nearly as nice to drive.... wonder why

Last edited by striderg3; 04-07-14 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: My First Lexus (bought today) - Lots of Issues (2006 GS430)