GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

radio no sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 02:00 PM
maxtcee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio no sound

hey guys i have a 2006 gs300 no nav i have vias sat installed for about 4 yrs everything was working great
about 2 months ago i noticed sometimes when i started the car i would get no sound coming out of my hu it would take 10-20 min till sound would come out
now i don't get any sound at all for the past 4 days i tried to hard reset the vias unit but still no sound
i even uninstalled it completely and still no sound i get the stations but no sounds
i even noticed i don't get the beeping sound when changing the temp level on the a.c/heat can anyone please help me I'm desperate as i drive my car all day and in need to radio
Old 05-12-14, 04:00 PM
maxtcee
Driver

ok so i disconnected my battery for 5 min and reconnected it now i get sound but it keeps cutting out like a bad attenna but it does it on cd tape and radio as well someone please help
Old 05-12-14, 04:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you disconnect the vaistech completely, does it still do the same? if so, then that's not the vaistech problem, especially if cd is affected too. for beeping, you sure the beeping is not turned off right?

i wonder if the hu is wearing out
Old 05-12-14, 06:23 PM
maxtcee
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
if you disconnect the vaistech completely, does it still do the same? if so, then that's not the vaistech problem, especially if cd is affected too. for beeping, you sure the beeping is not turned off right?

i wonder if the hu is wearing out
Once I reconnected the battery the beeping sound came back., I'm getting sound coming out of the radio now but it cuts in and out like a bad antenna and yes I disconnected the viastech and its still doing the same
Before when I had no sound at all the left side of the hu (where the bass treble midrange picture is ) wasn't lit up now it is
Also when I turn the volume **** it doesn't show on the hu. Only when I use the steering wheel
Volume
Old 05-12-14, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

might need more test but sounds like the hu is dying
Old 05-16-14, 05:02 PM
maxtcee
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
might need more test but sounds like the hu is dying
hu dying? on a 2006? thats seems kinda odd don't you think
Old 05-16-14, 05:24 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think its the head unit, all the sounds related to beeping and music are done thru the amp in the trunk. Since you have checked the connections at the HU I would check the amp.

Disconnect the battery connection, wait a few minutes for all the power to drain out of the amp and disconnect and reconnect the connections at the amp in the trunk. its not hard to get to and you should be able to reach the connections without removing the trunk lining. Remove the carpet and the amp is located under a panel on the right. Hopefully you just have a loose connection, worse case it could be the amp going bad. But I've seen non ML amps on eBay for a reasonable price.

*** You must disconnect the battery and let the power drain out before removing any connections on the amp otherwise you could damage the amp ***
Old 05-16-14, 07:50 PM
maxtcee
Driver

Originally Posted by YaMomma
I don't think its the head unit, all the sounds related to beeping and music are done thru the amp in the trunk. Since you have checked the connections at the HU I would check the amp.

Disconnect the battery connection, wait a few minutes for all the power to drain out of the amp and disconnect and reconnect the connections at the amp in the trunk. its not hard to get to and you should be able to reach the connections without removing the trunk lining. Remove the carpet and the amp is located under a panel on the right. Hopefully you just have a loose connection, worse case it could be the amp going bad. But I've seen non ML amps on eBay for a reasonable price.

*** You must disconnect the battery and let the power drain out before removing any connections on the amp otherwise you could damage the amp ***
funny you mentioned this because i noticed that whenever it rains i get bad feedback coming through the speakers do you think something is loose in the trunk ?
Old 05-17-14, 02:26 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by maxtcee
funny you mentioned this because i noticed that whenever it rains i get bad feedback coming through the speakers do you think something is loose in the trunk ?
Yep I think the connections at the amp in the trunk are loose or corroded. Either way its worth checking out since you don't need any tools to reach the amp.
Old 05-19-14, 05:08 PM
maxtcee
Driver

Tried this and no go still doing the same thing now I'm not sure if I should buy a hu or an amp please someone help
Old 05-19-14, 07:02 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maxtcee
Tried this and no go still doing the same thing now I'm not sure if I should buy a hu or an amp please someone help
I agree it is a difficult thing to determine since all the sound goes out.

Just as a very basic litmus test, to see if the amp is somehow turning off, put the + probe of a DC voltmeter on one terminal of the subwoofer in the trunk. The - terminal of the meter to ground.

See what voltage is present when the sound is working (no need to play loud), and see if it is the same or not when the audio is dead. If the voltage remains the same, the amp is still on. Then we have to see if the audio is muted or just missing from the head unit.

If the voltage drops to zero, the amp is turning off. Then we need to look at the DC source and the trigger control voltages, all of which should be +12V.