GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07-08 GS 350 models vs '10 ES 350, reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 06:22 AM
Flex2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07-08 GS 350 models vs '10 ES 350, reliability

I've been doing my research on 07-08 model year GS 350's. It honestly looks like the car I would like to get at this stage of my life. I've also been looking at the 2010 model year ES 350, however, the GS just seems more appealing to me (looks more sporty/sleek, more bells and whistles, a blast to drive). The only reason I'm even considering the '10 ES 350 is because it seems to have less issues.

The recall issues with the GS have made me raise an eyebrow. All things being equal, if a recall has been performed...are there any other major red flags to watch out for when it comes to those model years of the GS 350? From what I've read so far, the ES seems to be more a more bulletproof car as far as reliability. However, the GS is where my heart is, deep down I know the negative stuff usually stands out in comparison to all the happy owners..just want to kill some of the paranoia.

Would like some more light shed.
Old 07-19-14, 07:49 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

I'm a first time Lexus owner, but I fell in love with the GS after driving a 2nd gen 430 with BBK. I purchased my car used at 60k miles and it's only at 77k now having the car almost a year (in sept). I haven't had any problems with my car except for one. There was a problem with the VVT which they had a recall for (as far as I know the '06 GS300 was the GS model with a lot of problems and recalls). The problem caused a cold rattle start, but the recall was free and I received a '10 ES350 loaner car. To be honest, there is nothing really bad about the ES, it's just too much of a family car to suit my driving. It drives like a Camry, but the ride is much smoother looks better interior and exterior. It's really up to you, the GS handles better imo and is AWD or RWD while the ES350 is FWD. The steering wheel is so light in an ES350. I whipped the car around just to see how it performed compared to my GS and BOY could it whip! 360s with one hand with ease. If you're a techie like myself, the ES won't fail you. It's got a lot of cool technology that the new gen ES/IS/GS/LS has that the 3rd gen GS doesn't. Little things like TPMS that actually is worth something by showing you the pressure in each tire instead of letting you know when your tire is low and you'll still have to find out which tire. I'm not sure if GPS and reverse camera comes standard, but I thought it was cool as my GS doesn't have either (though some have Navi, mine didn't). ES also comes with Bluetooth audio/phone streaming which is something the GS doesn't have, but is an easy remedy with an aftermarket adapter that retails about $100-$200. The ES is highly economic, so if you're looking for a gas saver, I was getting over 40mpg on Eco mode cruising at 70-80mph and about 15-20mpg on sport mode while flooring it and pushing it hard at 100-120mph. Normal mode just cruising at 60mph got me about 26-30mph. The throttle is really responsive in sport mode, I'll give the ES that, but a simple throttle controller in the GS is a quick fix.The best I've gotten on my GS was about 26-30mpg and that was driving like a granny. Also, the ES doesn't require premium gas like the GS if that's a big factor for you. I always pump premium in my cars to avoid gum build up in my fuel injectors, so it didn't matter too much to me. It was nice pumping regular for a much lower price, but it wasn't my car or a friend's car so why the hell not? The leg room for your backseat drivers is a lot bigger. My friend who's 6'2" seats comfortably in the back, but not in the front (knees hitting glove box) as this is the drawback to having more space in the backseat; you give up space in the front since the seat doesn't go back far. So if you're tall, you will be uncomfortable in the front seat. The ES comes standard with a USB plug, Aux plug, and a charging port in the center console while the GS only has the charging port. The ES display screen isn't touch screen and controlled my a POS mouse that is insanely hard to get used to at first while the GS is touchscreen. ES comes with a freakin cool analog clock (I'm a fan of them in cars lol). In the end, it's your choice as it's your money and you'll be driving it, but it really boils down to luxury sporty car vs luxury economical family car with a little bit of oomph compared to most cars similar to it.

Last edited by Mistahoo; 07-19-14 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 03:20 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Go to edmunds and compare both cars. That's how I look for positives & negatives when car shopping.

ES = more common, longer, FWD, same or less MPG

GS = RWD, wider [than longer], RWD, decent MPG

I like the ES, but the GS styling has always appealed to me and told myself when the time comes and the right one comes along I'm getting a 3GS...
Old 07-20-14, 08:02 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistahoo
ES also comes with Bluetooth audio/phone streaming which is something the GS doesn't have, but is an easy remedy with an aftermarket adapter that retails about $100-$200. The ES comes standard with a USB plug, Aux plug, and a charging port in the center console while the GS only has the charging port.
All 2010+ Lexus models have BT audio support, so comparing a 2010 ES to a '07-08 GS is sort of unfair in that regard. Only 2008+ GS models come with an AUX jack in the center console. Something to consider for sure.
Old 07-20-14, 11:02 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
All 2010+ Lexus models have BT audio support, so comparing a 2010 ES to a '07-08 GS is sort of unfair in that regard. Only 2008+ GS models come with an AUX jack in the center console. Something to consider for sure.
I know that, but I was comparing the two options he gave. It is unfair, but that happens when you take a newer generation model and compare it to a previous one. Forgot to mention '08 has an AUX plug. The '07 does not.
Old 07-20-14, 11:10 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Go to edmunds and compare both cars. That's how I look for positives & negatives when car shopping.

ES = more common, longer, FWD, same or less MPG

GS = RWD, wider [than longer], RWD, decent MPG

I like the ES, but the GS styling has always appealed to me and told myself when the time comes and the right one comes along I'm getting a 3GS...
GS comes in AWD as well, but I prefer the RWD.
Old 07-21-14, 08:54 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the look of my 2008 GS. my uncle has the 2010 ES. i drove it and love the way it drives but feels more like a camry. which isn't a bad thing! i prefer the look and feel of my GS. plus it looks faster too… haha
Old 07-25-14, 04:58 AM
Flex2020
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate the time. I finally got to test drive a GS yesterday, it was a 2010 (same engine so would have the same feel as a 07-08). It was definitely more responsive than the ES. The only edge the ES has would be that driving on the cloud feeling, as it's just a super soft ride. GS is still the way to go for me.

I've zero'd in on a couple of different GS's..and will most likely make a purchase within a couple of weeks. As long as there's a carfax/vehicle history report, I should be good to go, I find that Lexus dealerships don't always have the best selection. Private and smaller dealerships seem to have a lot more..from what I've read, GS owners tend to take care of their cars..so it should be a safe buy regardless.
Old 07-25-14, 02:20 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

Not all owners take care of their GS. It's just the ones you read about