GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 02:22 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake squeak

My '07 GS350 recently began exhibiting brake squeal when brakes were gently applied.
I subsequently took it to my dealer for a multipoint inspection, with the results being the car was fine, including the brakes. I was told the squeak was the result of brake dust, and nothing to worry about.
Since the inspection, I noticed the right front wheel is accumulating brake dust, but none of the others are; and the noise is irritating. I called my SA yesterday and explained the situation. He reviewed the car's service history, and noted the front pads were replaced with noiseless/dustless pads 40k miles ago. I agreed. He again said it was nothing to worry about. My thoughts are I'll have to put new pads on the front, even though the current ones are fine.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 01-10-15, 06:28 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=Bavaria;8861987]My '07 GS350 recently began exhibiting brake squeal when brakes were gently applied.
I subsequently took it to my dealer for a multipoint inspection, with the results being the car was fine, including the brakes. I was told the squeak was the result of brake dust, and nothing to worry about.
Since the inspection, I noticed the right front wheel is accumulating brake dust, but none of the others are; and the noise is irritating. I called my SA yesterday and explained the situation. He reviewed the car's service history, and noted the front pads were replaced with noiseless/dustless pads 40k miles ago. I agreed. He again said it was nothing to worry about. My thoughts are I'll have to put new pads on the front, even though the current ones are fine.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Go with centric posi-quiet , they are dustless n noiseless. Check some reviews. I permanently switched out all pads to centric on all my cars.

This pic is 2 months no car wash

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...30-40k-mi.html
Attached Thumbnails Brake squeak-image.jpg  
Old 01-10-15, 07:22 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=LexLova;8862161]
Originally Posted by Bavaria
My '07 GS350 recently began exhibiting brake squeal when brakes were gently applied.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Go with centric posi-quiet , they are dustless n noiseless. Check some reviews. I permanently switched out all pads to centric on all my cars.

This pic is 2 months no car wash

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...30-40k-mi.html

Did you use OEM shims or the shims that came with the brake pads?
Old 01-10-15, 07:26 PM
i8thesun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sure sounds like one pad or pair are wearing much more than the others, possibly a brake piston failing to retract, it happens. If it isn't pulling to one side probably no safety concerns, but it will probably wear faster than the other pads and will be pretty obvious eventually. I'd get it checked fairly often if you can't do it yourself. It shouldn't be difficult to check pad wear with an inspection mirror and flashlight.
Old 01-10-15, 09:11 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=GS350Lexus;8862200]
Originally Posted by LexLova

Did you use OEM shims or the shims that came with the brake pads?
I ordered the pads with the centric brake hardware kit ( shims, etc)
Old 01-10-15, 10:07 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=LexLova;8862299]
Originally Posted by GS350Lexus

I ordered the pads with the centric brake hardware kit ( shims, etc)
I know it comes all together, we tossed the shims that came with it and used oem shims. I am getting this bad squeel when slightly tapping brakes to stop the car, we also lubbed up the shims, not sure what it is. I put 2k miles on them already. I also got the semi metallic one's not ceramic, for better braking.
Old 01-11-15, 12:01 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Originally Posted by i8thesun
It sure sounds like one pad or pair are wearing much more than the others, possibly a brake piston failing to retract, it happens. If it isn't pulling to one side probably no safety concerns, but it will probably wear faster than the other pads and will be pretty obvious eventually. I'd get it checked fairly often if you can't do it yourself. It shouldn't be difficult to check pad wear with an inspection mirror and flashlight.
The car isn't pulling at all, however your suggestion sounds right on the money. I was planning on waiting for the latest recall repair to have the problem addressed, however I'll probably have it taken care of sooner. Thanks to all for the responses.
Old 01-11-15, 06:35 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also experiencing break squeal. I called the dealer and they told me the break squeal was a know issue with older style brake pads. I purchased some new brake pads and while replacing them, noticed the shims on the pads I took off were loose and just flopping around in the brake housing. I installed the new pads with shims firmly attached to the pads and the squeal went away.
Old 01-12-15, 04:47 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Order a shim kit from Sewell. Maybe the dealer left the original shims when he changed your pads before. They dont last forever and you are in an 07. That said, it still doesn't explain the dusting you only recently started to observe so I would do some more investigating pf the caliper while you are down there and make a decision as to whether or not you want to start with going back to the shop or just replacing pads yourself.
Old 01-12-15, 09:55 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

I took the car to the dealer today. They checked then applied brake cleaner (whatever that is) to the brakes. They again said nothing is wrong and stated they hoped the problem was solved. I heard a squeak 20 minutes later. Increased radio volume will now be my solution.
Old 01-12-15, 10:03 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a loud squeal when lightly pressing brake too. I have OEM pads on there.

I've done nothing to fix it, but I also remember reading it was the shim.

I use the squeal to warn pedestrians.

I don't plan to take apart the brakes to fix the shims

Last edited by pman6; 01-12-15 at 10:41 PM.