GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How to hide a spare key on this keyless car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 11:18 AM
i8thesun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to hide a spare key on this keyless car?

My first car with keyless ignition and locks, and I'm paranoid about not having a spare key hidden on it. I see the small metal key within the remote, I don't think that will start the car without the remote. Hiding a remote on the car wouldn't work, unless I pull the battery out or somehow disable it until it is needed.

I could hide the metal key on the car, and hide the battery-less remote and battery inside the car with a small screwdriver to assemble it. Any better ideas? Other than not losing the key of course, thanks.

I've put hidden keys on all my family cars for many decades, they get used maybe once every few years, but they sure are appreciated at those times. They are well hidden and secure, and I take pictures on my cellphone to send to the family member who has locked their key in or lost them.

Is there a valet key for these cars? It appears the metal key is for securing the glovebox and trunk when giving the car to a valet, so I suspect no valet key.

'07 GS350
Old 01-15-15, 11:59 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you must do it, just take the battery out of the remote and leave the metal key in its spot then hide the key. In an emergency you can use the metal key to unlock the door, then to start the car you just need to hold the fob next to the button (or just "push" the start button with the fob) and it will start because there is an RFID chip inside the key fob that when enough to the start button, will start the car without a battery inside the remote.

-Joe
Old 01-15-15, 12:08 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

People still put keys to their cars on the outside of their cars, do you leave the key to your house under the doormat too? If you're really that prone to locking yourself out of the car somehow that's what a roadside assistance membership is for right?
Old 01-15-15, 12:27 PM
i8thesun
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
People still put keys to their cars on the outside of their cars, do you leave the key to your house under the doormat too? If you're really that prone to locking yourself out of the car somehow that's what a roadside assistance membership is for right?
I have a wife, and kids, and me, so odds go up of someone eventually losing a key. It happens, and no waiting for a tow-truck or dad (me) with the spare key from home, if there is a key hidden. I park in the secure employee lot at O'Hare a lot, big money to get roadside assistance in there, and big wait. And since I travel a lot, I like knowing my family has this kind of backup in place.

How would roadside assistance get your car open and started without the remote? I'm thinking it would be dragged onto a flatbed and hauled to a dealer? Do locksmiths have the gear to override the system?
Old 01-15-15, 03:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

locksmiths actually can come open the car, bring a brand new key and program it for you, but it won't be cheap. If you really need to hide the key in the car just remove the battery as Jamodeo said, and hide it in the car. If it is needed to be used, take the key out and hold it right next to the start button to get the car started.
Old 01-15-15, 03:51 PM
i8thesun
Rookie

Thanks. I'll have to look for a place to hide the key on the outside, then hide the remote inside, but I'm very particular about how this should be done. My old Land Cruiser had a cover under the outside mirror that could be snapped open with a simple stick or key or something, perfect key-hide. I've built machines that assemble mirrors, we called that the "doghouse". Hopefully I can find something like that on this car.
Old 01-15-15, 05:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't think of a good place to hide the key where it won't shake and fall out.

except inside the front bumper from underneath.
Old 01-15-15, 10:33 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Windshield side clips, they are on each corner bottom of the windshield. They hide hood latches.