GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tranny Fluid Flush - Stop the madness

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 08:56 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My gs460 has never had it changed at 142k, at least according to previous records from the dealership, still shifts very well. I would like to get my fluid changed but at this point I'm afraid it's maybe been too long. Thoughts?
Old 12-16-15, 07:15 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey BinaryJay (or anyone else in the GTA area)... where are you getting your transmission/power-train fluids done?

the dealership i bought at insists it is a "sealed transmission" with "lifetime fluid", I have not pushed them hard but my thought is if the fluid has a part number and the filter is replaceable then there is nothing sealed about it. The Toyota shop manual has instructions for drain and fill but not flush.

I took it to a Toyota dealership who insisted they have the means to do a tranny flush on despite me challenging them several times on it, but later called me that they made a mistake and can't hook up the flush machine to that transmission, they were also confused at the transfer-case/tranny pairing and couldnt find the front diff! so those fluids need to be done, seems they were only able to do the most basic thing which is the rear diff.

As to anyone who thinks that the fluid will last a "lifetime" it sure will... just that it your car's lifetime may be shorter than you expected. I read somewhere you can even consider engine oil a lifetime fluid if you don't need a car past 30 000 K
Old 12-16-15, 09:03 AM
rx350lover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

I just got my two GS 350 (2007 & 2011) taken care of and here are the details. For the tranny, it is a drain and fill, but not you regular drain and fill. They have to connect a computer to the car and the computer tells the technician what to do and when to do it. This is why it takes longer than your regular drain and fill.

In fact, with hybrid cars, it is the same process when changing the brake fluid. They have to connect the computer to the car and it tells the technician what to do and when to do it. Hope it helps.
Old 12-16-15, 05:04 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rx350lover
FWIW, I recently bought a 2007 GS 350 AWD with 36,000 miles and had the brake fluid, tranny, front and rear differentials liquids changed.

Regarding the tranny, I was told that for other models like the RX, ES, ..., a drain and fill is the way it is done. But for the LS, GS and other models (I don't remember which ones), it is a totally different story. First they need to have the tranny cool off. Second it takes apparently two technicians and they connect a computer(?) to the car while it is done. The Lexus dealer I go to is a good one (a rarity nowadays). They don't try to screw you. They will do what is needed and that's it. They even informed me of problems to come, like the front exhaust getting thin, for example. They don't force anything on you and keep you in the loop.

P.S. I know two ****ty Lexus dealers I will never go back to. Once was enough for those two.

P.P.S. The tranny fluid was changed by the previous owner in early 2012 with 19,000 miles. I was told 4 years or 60,000 miles is when it should be done. Reasonable preventive maintenance is a positive in my book. Beats being stuck on the road with a broken vehicle.
Can you elaborate more on what they actually did to change the fluid? You stopped at "...and they connect a computer".
Old 12-17-15, 08:18 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blue00
Hey BinaryJay (or anyone else in the GTA area)... where are you getting your transmission/power-train fluids done?

the dealership i bought at insists it is a "sealed transmission" with "lifetime fluid", I have not pushed them hard but my thought is if the fluid has a part number and the filter is replaceable then there is nothing sealed about it. The Toyota shop manual has instructions for drain and fill but not flush.

I took it to a Toyota dealership who insisted they have the means to do a tranny flush on despite me challenging them several times on it, but later called me that they made a mistake and can't hook up the flush machine to that transmission, they were also confused at the transfer-case/tranny pairing and couldnt find the front diff! so those fluids need to be done, seems they were only able to do the most basic thing which is the rear diff.

As to anyone who thinks that the fluid will last a "lifetime" it sure will... just that it your car's lifetime may be shorter than you expected. I read somewhere you can even consider engine oil a lifetime fluid if you don't need a car past 30 000 K
I've had it done at a Toyota dealership (Toyota on Front when I lived near there, it's gone now as far as I know or moved somewhere else...) and at Bullock City all the way out in Markham. Never had any problems. I've watched Bullock city change both front and rear differentials as well and their price is reasonable. They're way out of my way but it's like a once in a while thing to bring the car to them for various stuff like this that I'm not going to bother making a mess myself doing.
Old 12-18-15, 11:38 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I've had it done at a Toyota dealership (Toyota on Front when I lived near there, it's gone now as far as I know or moved somewhere else...) and at Bullock City all the way out in Markham. Never had any problems. I've watched Bullock city change both front and rear differentials as well and their price is reasonable. They're way out of my way but it's like a once in a while thing to bring the car to them for various stuff like this that I'm not going to bother making a mess myself doing.
Thanks Awsome! Bullock is not far from me and not out of the way, I will give them a call for the fluid changes when im up for next oil change.