GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brakes issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 01:46 PM
Gregoose
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brakes issue

Hey Guys,

I need major help on my '07 GS 350. And i'm sure this has been asked before regarding brake noise issue on our 3GS. Basically i need your helpful opinion on what should i do next. Thanks in advanced.

In the past 6 months i have changed my FRONT brake pads with two different pair. First was a generic pad(REMOVED), and did some research then went for Akebono(CURRENTLY) brake pads 2-months noise-free and now back to braking noise dilemma.

Issues:
-In the morning, first 3-5 pressed brakes makes loud(REALLY LOUD!) humming noise then goes away. Feels like the brakes are rusty but it continually does it everyday. I just got the car serviced so assuming all my fluids are filled.
-Randomly, on a fully stopped brake i hear a whistle noise from the front brake. NOT as loud described above.
-I noticed the noise happened the most on HOT weather, and occasionally on COLD weather.

Longo Lexus advice me to buy an OEM brake pads and should resolve this problem. I'm also thinking of just getting it done at the dealership and pay that extra cash plus warranty.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Or if any one in LA area can recommend a shop does this type of fixed. I would highly appreciate you!

Should i just go for that OEM pads, or am i missing something that i should replace other than the pads? Any details or info you can recommend would be helpful!

PLEASE HELP!

THANKS IN ADVANCED.

I LOVE MY CAR BUT I HATE CAR PROBLEMS! I DON'T WANT TO END UP SELLING IT
Old 04-29-15, 02:54 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-In the morning, first 3-5 pressed brakes makes loud(REALLY LOUD!) humming noise then goes away. Feels like the brakes are rusty but it continually does it everyday. I just got the car serviced so assuming all my fluids are filled
That is usually normal for any brake pads, as rust builds up on the rotor with any car and it will make a "grinding" sound on first uses every morning.

Randomly, on a fully stopped brake i hear a whistle noise from the front brake. NOT as loud described above.
As in you are standing on a red light with a brake pedal fully depressed? If you are referring coming to a stop and hear a loud squeal a fix for that would be remove front brake pads lube up the shims and back side of the brake pads and put everything back together.

If lubing won't help the issue, you need to purchase a new set of front brake shims and replace old (or generic) shims. I used Akebono brake pads and the only time it started squealing again when it was time to change them.

There are TON of threads on brake squeal, we covered anything from bad rotors.bad brake pads, bad shims, and to incorrect installation. If you do a quick google search it has solutions to this.
Old 04-29-15, 07:08 PM
Gregoose
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
That is usually normal for any brake pads, as rust builds up on the rotor with any car and it will make a "grinding" sound on first uses every morning.

As in you are standing on a red light with a brake pedal fully depressed? If you are referring coming to a stop and hear a loud squeal a fix for that would be remove front brake pads lube up the shims and back side of the brake pads and put everything back together.

If lubing won't help the issue, you need to purchase a new set of front brake shims and replace old (or generic) shims. I used Akebono brake pads and the only time it started squealing again when it was time to change them.

There are TON of threads on brake squeal, we covered anything from bad rotors.bad brake pads, bad shims, and to incorrect installation. If you do a quick google search it has solutions to this.
Thank you!

Yea i know there's lots of thread about brake issue here on CL. That's what i did when swapped the pads with Akebono(2nd try). I thought my noise issue was fixed until 2 months later it came back.

I'm not really a mechanic or good at cars, so i want it to express my issue and hopefully can get a specific answer to my issue.

I will definitely probably try replacing the shims instead.

My plan so far is to change the pad to OEM and hopefully 3rd time is a charm!

Otherwise dealership it is, which cost couple bucks for a simple brake change.

Thank you, again.
Old 04-30-15, 08:48 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gregoose
Thank you!

Yea i know there's lots of thread about brake issue here on CL. That's what i did when swapped the pads with Akebono(2nd try). I thought my noise issue was fixed until 2 months later it came back.

I'm not really a mechanic or good at cars, so i want it to express my issue and hopefully can get a specific answer to my issue.

I will definitely probably try replacing the shims instead.

My plan so far is to change the pad to OEM and hopefully 3rd time is a charm!

Otherwise dealership it is, which cost couple bucks for a simple brake change.

Thank you, again.
Most of the threads here are complaining about OEM brake pads dust and noise. It will not fix your issue, first try with a brand new shim kit, lube back of the shim, between the shims and between the shim and brake pad, Install it and see if that works. If it does not, I suggest new rotors.
Old 05-01-15, 05:34 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The lube will clean up the squealing for about 6 months and then have to do it again. My wife's car is squealing again.
Old 05-01-15, 06:17 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok i feel like no one is suggesting this everytime i see a brake thread about noise or squealing or anything.

try stop squeal from autozone. its not a lube. lube will only temporarily fix the problem.

i bought my gs and it always squealed when brakes where cold and sometimes at slow creeping speeds. i put some of that on there and haven't had a problems since.

i changed my pads about a month after i had the gs because of the squeal and im using autozone's duralast gold. it still squealed a bit but after i put that on no problems... im going on a year now.
Old 05-01-15, 09:08 AM
rxmpvibes
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2006 GS430 and I had that same annoying/embarrassing loud brake noise coming from the front. It would happen in the morning (when its cold or hot outside) and in parking lots after leaving work or the grocery store! It was so loud that people would turn their heads towards me and I had to play it off like it wasnt coming from my car!

Here is how I fixed it. I got some CRC disc brake quiet (pink paste) and Permatex High Temp ceramic brake grease (3,000 degrees). I removed the front brake pads (driver side and passenger). Removed the shim and applied the CRC disc brake quiet on the back of brake pad and on the inside of the shim and reinstalled shim on to the brake pad. Then I got the Permatex High Temp ceramic brake grease and applied some to the back of the shim where the PISTON MEETS THE CALIPER( you should see the round imprint of the caliper on the back of the shim). Do this for each brake pad and your problem will be fixed! No more noise!

You can purchase the Permatex High Temp ceramic brake grease at advance auto parts. They have them in the little purple packets at the front counter for a $1.89. You need 2 packets; 1 each for the driver side and passenger side. The CRC disc brake quiet (pink paste) can be purchased at any auto parts store. Advance, Oreilys, Autozone, etc.

Last edited by rxmpvibes; 05-01-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-02-15, 02:47 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by burny
The lube will clean up the squealing for about 6 months and then have to do it again. My wife's car is squealing again.
Well when I am referring to "lube" it is special lubricant for brake pads and shims that can be purchased in most auto parts store.
Old 05-04-15, 04:11 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rxmpvibes
I have a 2006 GS430 and I had that same annoying/embarrassing loud brake noise coming from the front. It would happen in the morning (when its cold or hot outside) and in parking lots after leaving work or the grocery store! It was so loud that people would turn their heads towards me and I had to play it off like it wasnt coming from my car!

Here is how I fixed it. I got some CRC disc brake quiet (pink paste) and Permatex High Temp ceramic brake grease (3,000 degrees). I removed the front brake pads (driver side and passenger). Removed the shim and applied the CRC disc brake quiet on the back of brake pad and on the inside of the shim and reinstalled shim on to the brake pad. Then I got the Permatex High Temp ceramic brake grease and applied some to the back of the shim where the PISTON MEETS THE CALIPER( you should see the round imprint of the caliper on the back of the shim). Do this for each brake pad and your problem will be fixed! No more noise!

You can purchase the Permatex High Temp ceramic brake grease at advance auto parts. They have them in the little purple packets at the front counter for a $1.89. You need 2 packets; 1 each for the driver side and passenger side. The CRC disc brake quiet (pink paste) can be purchased at any auto parts store. Advance, Oreilys, Autozone, etc.

ah so someone is using it... Im so glad im not the only one using the crc brake disc quiet. LOL