GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

All Sound Gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 07:14 PM
GhostDeany
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Sound Gone

Any ideas? 2006 Lexus gs300.. Yesterday I lost all sound. No sound from the CD, FM, Tape, etc. When I turn the volume **** it doesn't even go from 1-62 nothing comes up at all. Plus when I go into audio settings, it doesn't let me adjust the bass or treble, and the mid is not even available there anymore, and the fade left to right and front to back is also un adjustable. ? thoughts
Old 09-06-15, 09:11 PM
acer0611
Driver School Candidate

First thing I would do is check the fuses. There are multiple fuses for the radio, if i'm not mistaken there should be 2 in the fuse box that is around the battery and another somewhere in the cabin under the drivers side dash. If they seem to be ok, disconnect your battery for about 15 minutes to reset the system. If there is still no sound then its probably the factory amplifier in the trunk on the passenger side. disconnect it and reconnect it to check if the plugs have become loose, If not then it probably needs replacement. I replaced mine not to long ago and it ran me about 225 dollars. Hopefully you won't need to get it replaced. Best of luck.
Old 09-07-15, 11:28 PM
GhostDeany
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuses

Found the 2 blown fuses. Tried to replace the keep blowing the replacements. I unplugged the amps harnesses, It then let me replace the fuses without them blowing, until I plugged the harnesses back it, then the fuses were cooked again.. I'm clueless
Old 09-08-15, 07:13 PM
acer0611
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like your amp has a short circuit somewhere. If you can dismount it a have a qualified technician take a look at it. It could be a blown capacitor which can be replaced relatively easy.
Old 09-09-15, 05:43 PM
baldrick
Driver School Candidate

Default short circuit to ground

something in the amp which should normally be drawing low current all of a sudden is drawing too high of a current and blowing the fuse. until that is fixed, it can actually cause a fire if you put a higher current fuse in there. the fuse is protecting your car from burning, which is what it is designed to do.

best approach is to remove the amp and try using a multimeter to check for continuity on all the power lines connecting to the amp. identifying these requires a wiring diagram from TIS.

this is done to make sure the problem isn't in the harness itself. if it is, then needs to be fixed. much cheaper than a new amp.

I am suspecting the problem is inside the amp. the actual chip inside the amp which does the work is glued to the amp case which acts as a heat sink, so it can cool down. sometimes the amp gets too hot and melts to the case which grounds the power to the case.
Old 09-13-15, 06:21 AM
GhostDeany
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baldrick
something in the amp which should normally be drawing low current all of a sudden is drawing too high of a current and blowing the fuse. until that is fixed, it can actually cause a fire if you put a higher current fuse in there. the fuse is protecting your car from burning, which is what it is designed to do.

best approach is to remove the amp and try using a multimeter to check for continuity on all the power lines connecting to the amp. identifying these requires a wiring diagram from TIS.

this is done to make sure the problem isn't in the harness itself. if it is, then needs to be fixed. much cheaper than a new amp.

I am suspecting the problem is inside the amp. the actual chip inside the amp which does the work is glued to the amp case which acts as a heat sink, so it can cool down. sometimes the amp gets too hot and melts to the case which grounds the power to the case.

The amp was on fire when it first crapped out. Could have grilled a steak on it. What am i looking for when opening it up? Is this fixable
Old 09-18-15, 04:48 PM
OGS350
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had a problem with entire left side ML system going out. Barley has sound or none at all.
Old 09-21-15, 06:44 PM
baldrick
Driver School Candidate

you are looking for a semiconductor chip with scorch marks. You are looking for burnt tracks on the pcb substrate. You are looking for signs of water ingress, which essentially will turn copper green.

if you wish, send me a few pictures of the insides taken close up, and I can try and identify which chip is bad. I am guessing the amplifier IC itself is toast.

It is not a simple matter to replace the damned thing - because the chip is programmable. So the identification is very important. Once that is done maybe there is somewhere online which sells single parts. Then you need to find a good electronic tech who is surgical with their soldering skills to unsolder the toasted part and solder the new one in.
Old 09-25-15, 01:40 PM
GhostDeany
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baldrick
you are looking for a semiconductor chip with scorch marks. You are looking for burnt tracks on the pcb substrate. You are looking for signs of water ingress, which essentially will turn copper green.

if you wish, send me a few pictures of the insides taken close up, and I can try and identify which chip is bad. I am guessing the amplifier IC itself is toast.

It is not a simple matter to replace the damned thing - because the chip is programmable. So the identification is very important. Once that is done maybe there is somewhere online which sells single parts. Then you need to find a good electronic tech who is surgical with their soldering skills to unsolder the toasted part and solder the new one in.

I still had a warany remaining from when i bought the car used from carmax. I took it in and they ordred me a new amp.