GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

No Crank, Check VSC, cooling fan runs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 05:13 PM
sheriffwoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Crank, Check VSC, cooling fan runs.

So my 07 gs350 120k miles decided she didn't want to start this morning.

She fired up for a half a second, then died.

Pushing the start button everything else works but she won't crank. Dash says Check VSC and cooling fan runs right away (cold engine) and keeps running (very strange). Charged battery (OFTEN THIS MEANS THE BATTERY IS WEAK< SO JUMP START BTW) , disconnect/reconnect battery 5 minutes. Did not work. Battery charged and good. Jiggled auto shifter in and out of park to make sure it was in park. Didnt work.

Researched and found another poor soul. Ended up being the Fuel Pressure Sensor under the throttle body above bellhousing , back of motor. You can check either cam timing sensor (3 wire, single bolt on top near front of valve cover, blue wire for 5V reference. If no 5V then the pressure sensor is shorted, replace. Lexus $350 parts.com $270

There is a recall for a fuel leak at the pressure sensor, they will not replace it free, they only change the gasket and/or tighten.

Just wanted to let everyone know in case they come across this.
Old 11-26-15, 07:13 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sheriffwoo

Pushing the start button everything else works but she won't crank. Dash says Check VSC and cooling fan runs right away (cold engine) and keeps running (very strange). Charged battery (OFTEN THIS MEANS THE BATTERY IS WEAK< SO JUMP START BTW) , disconnect/reconnect battery 5 minutes. Did not work. Battery charged and good. Jiggled auto shifter in and out of park to make sure it was in park. Didnt work.

Researched and found another poor soul. Ended up being the Fuel Pressure Sensor under the throttle body above bellhousing , back of motor. You can check either cam timing sensor (3 wire, single bolt on top near front of valve cover, blue wire for 5V reference. If no 5V then the pressure sensor is shorted, replace. Lexus $350 parts.com $270

There is a recall for a fuel leak at the pressure sensor, they will not replace it free, they only change the gasket and/or tighten.

Disconnect the connector for the FRPS. usually one out of 10 times itll start and run. Ive come across the a couple times in the shop. If it runs then dies after you plug in back in, its the sensor. If you haven't had the recall done they'll replace it for free. They have to take the sensor off anyways. Another giveaway is that you wont have any communication to the ECU if the sensor is dead.
Old 11-26-15, 11:13 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

do they replace the sensor or just the gasket on the recall?
Old 11-27-15, 02:34 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Gasket only
Old 12-16-15, 11:21 AM
Nick3gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did u ever fix the problem same thing happen to my gs I'm trying to unplug the sensor but I can find it at all any help
Old 05-26-19, 04:38 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by sheriffwoo

I've got a 2013 GS350 and I checked with the 5V reference from the cam timing sensor and get 5V but after about 10-15 seconds pass while in the ignition ON position the engine fan runs and the voltage drops to 0V. Also cannot read anything through OBDII port either through a regular reader or through Techstream unless I try to be really fast and can get something read within a few seconds of reading from the regular OBDII reader. Would you say this is indicative of a bad fuel pressure sensor and I should replace it?
Old 01-25-21, 12:06 PM
Saadq12
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
I've got a 2013 GS350 and I checked with the 5V reference from the cam timing sensor and get 5V but after about 10-15 seconds pass while in the ignition ON position the engine fan runs and the voltage drops to 0V. Also cannot read anything through OBDII port either through a regular reader or through Techstream unless I try to be really fast and can get something read within a few seconds of reading from the regular OBDII reader. Would you say this is indicative of a bad fuel pressure sensor and I should replace it?
Hey @imjohnphan , I have a 2013 GS350 and im facing this exact issue but my car is able to crank over just doesn't start. Were you able to fix it by replacing the fuel pressure sensor?
Old 01-25-21, 04:15 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Saadq12
Hey @imjohnphan , I have a 2013 GS350 and im facing this exact issue but my car is able to crank over just doesn't start. Were you able to fix it by replacing the fuel pressure sensor?
My problem was something completely different for some reason a tech had pulled a wire to a fuse so the car wasn't starting. I did replace the fuel pressure sensor and everything but that wasn't my problem. I would try replacing it yourself to try and see if it works, it's not too hard to replace it. You just have to kind of feel it out in the back because you cannot directly see it.