GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Repeated check engine light after installing k&n intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 09:49 PM
Philsogood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repeated check engine light after installing k&n intake

Went to check the codes, it's p0441, p0441 again, and p0455

It all has to do with the evaporative emission system, incorrect purge flow and leak detected

I checked all connections and hoses. And they all seem to be fine, double checked the maf sensor to make sure it's secure with o ring. The check engine vsc trac light turns on after a day. And I don't drive nothing but 2 miles to and from work.

I really like the k&n filter but it seems to be the problem because this never occurred until I installed it. Anyone have any idea how to fix this or trouble shoot it?

I checked he gas cap and it seems to be secure, and clicks not sure what else could be the problem,
If this occurs again I'll have to put the oem filter back on this weekend to see if it helps.
Old 01-14-16, 08:30 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the filter or the whole intake system ? Also, did you disconnect the battery before installing ?
Old 01-14-16, 12:09 PM
Philsogood
Driver School Candidate

I did not disconnect when I first installed. I installed the whole intake kit. Everytime the check vsc came on I disconnected battery to reset. After a day it would pop back up
Old 01-14-16, 07:49 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

check the hose from the purge valve (the unit that was screwed to the original intake pipe) trace it back down the strut tower. most likely it got pulled out when u removed the purge valve to install the intake system also make sure you reconnected the electrical connector to the purge valve
Old 02-05-16, 06:45 AM
jkimsland
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 ES300 have similar issues. Engine check lights comes up and down during driving, and traction OFF and SVC on. Just cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC cleaner (from walmart, about $8) and now engine check light is gone.
But still Traction OFF and SVC are ON, and idling rmp is way too low, about less than 400 rpm. Mine is about 140K in mileage, and I am suspecting transmission parts, like torque converter or so.
Old 02-05-16, 06:48 AM
jkimsland
Driver School Candidate

If you used K&N, it will cause MAF sensor dirty in a much shorter time. I had same issue for my 1998 Buick Park Avenue after using K&N air filter. So, try to clean MAF sensor or replace it. they are not cheap though.
Old 02-19-16, 05:57 PM
moybotello
2nd gear

Default I'm having the same problem

Originally Posted by Philsogood
Went to check the codes, it's p0441, p0441 again, and p0455

It all has to do with the evaporative emission system, incorrect purge flow and leak detected

I checked all connections and hoses. And they all seem to be fine, double checked the maf sensor to make sure it's secure with o ring. The check engine vsc trac light turns on after a day. And I don't drive nothing but 2 miles to and from work.

I really like the k&n filter but it seems to be the problem because this never occurred until I installed it. Anyone have any idea how to fix this or trouble shoot it?

I checked he gas cap and it seems to be secure, and clicks not sure what else could be the problem,
If this occurs again I'll have to put the oem filter back on this weekend to see if it helps.
I installed a k&n intake on my gs430 and he same codes came up in my car and just wanted to know if u found the problem or the solution.
Old 02-19-16, 07:00 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

k&n filters help only turbo cars, dump it waste of money and time, no disrespect there just to much trouble for the maf

http://forums.automobilemag.com/70/6...you-thousands/

Last edited by verly6565; 02-19-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-21-16, 11:51 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

k&n filters or MAF sensor will not cause these Evap faults. Recheck your installation make sure all lines and electrical connectors are installed correctly and there are no cracks in the hoses especially around the clamps, even a small hair line crack will set off these codes. Best to have the Evap system smoke tested. Thats what the green cap is for.
Old 02-23-16, 08:44 AM
adrock265
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by verly6565
k&n filters help only turbo cars, dump it waste of money and time, no disrespect there just to much trouble for the maf

http://forums.automobilemag.com/70/6...you-thousands/
The absolute lack of any sort of knowledge on this website is astonishing. Only helps turbo cars lol. How would it be specific to only turbo, the purpose is to have a less restrictive path for the air to move and possibly a slightly cooler intake air temp. Whether it's fed into a turbo or sucked in by engines vacuum the effect is the same. Yes you are not gaining much horsepower the difference is the availability of power throughout the RPM curve. All the article you posted says is basically that yes if you are an idiot and you spray way too much oil on a filter and let it get in in touch your MAF or other components it will affect it but if you are a reasonable person it will give you a slightly better power curve possibly improve mileage have a better sound and even have the bonus effect of extra power. This site is so full of people claiming how things done to cars don't do anything while those people are driving completely stock cars and have never done anything to any car ever bring your GS against mine and let's see who's is faster and settle this debate once and for all or post a time slip
Old 02-23-16, 10:05 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree on it being an installation issue. I've had the K&N on my car for over a year with zero issues.

I did experience a similar issue on my IS when I forgot to attach a line to the intake after removing it. I've also seen people kink hoses upon installation which can cause codes.

Just double check all connections, go back through the instructions if needed. Worst case, put your stock stuff back on to see if the codes pop up.