GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 Fuel Injector Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 10:25 AM
kayizm007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 2006 GS300 Fuel Injector Driver

Hello,

Hello All,

I'm hoping I can get some type of advice and/or help with my issue

I have a 2006 GS300 w/ 83,500k miles and have NEVER had an issue with my vehicle until now. Back in September of '15 I started noticing that I couldn't accelerate after stepping on the gas like it should. What I am saying is that I would have to press harder to get acceleration. Move to October of '15, while on my way to do some shopping I noticed the car just shut off, scared the hell out of me but I managed to get it to a parking lot and I had to be towed. While attempting to start it I remember the tow guy saying he things its electrical cause when he tried it just didn’t turn over completely.

That being said, i then took it to a recommended mechanic, (Towed it). Keep in mind the check engine light, VSC was (and still is on). The mechanic read the codes and it come back as a fuel pump related problem. He told me that I could take it to Lexus to have a proper diagnostic or we could go ahead and change the fuel pump out. Pleas for give me because, I don't remember what the codes he found were.

I purchased a used fuel pump, he swapped it out that Friday, it appeared to have worked, it now started. He said he wanted keep it for the weekend and see how it ran. That Monday he called and said everything checked out and to come pick it up. My wife went to pick it up, tried to start it and the same previous issue, and didn’t completely turn over.

Frustrated, it bit the bullet and had it towed to Lexus, after their diagnostic test, this is what was on the report verbatim.....

"Customer states vehicle will not turn over, please check and advise. There are codes in DTC P0102, P0113 and P12FF electric drive unit// Checked battery, Charging system and starter, all working fine. During the inspection tech found no fuel coming to system, need more diagnostic time to check. After customer authorized for more diagnostic time, checked ECU, Power and ground and signal to system. Follow steps for code, found dirt and corrosion in the injector drive connector and did clean it. Now the vehicle is running good. However it would be to replace drive unit as a preventative maintenance because the corrosion may have damaged the circuitry in the unit. After 20 mile test drive no problem found at this time. If happens again may need drive unit. Also there is a pending code fir Catalyst Converter."

That is what was exactly on the report form Lexus. They also told me that I would eventually need a new Fuel injector driver in about 6 months to a year but i should be fine until then.

After i drove the car home the next day I went to run a few errands and when I put car in reverse, then drive, the car shut off. It shut off a couple more times while i was out, but only when I put it in reverse then drive. I then called Lexus back and he was shocked that it failed on me so soon. He told me the part #8981730031 would cost me $1542.00. I went looking for this part number but cannot find it anywhere. I believe the Lexus Rep gave me the wrong part number. The Fuel injector driver Part numbers that come up is #8987130031 I want to make sure I purchase the correct part.

Does anyone have any suggestions, clues as to what I should do at this point? I don't want to spend over $1500 if I don't have to.

Thanks In advance!
Old 01-28-16, 05:27 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

I think you need to find a better mechanic, other then these slap on parts happy mechanics.

Lexus tech doesnt know what is going on with your vehicle and just gave you his opinion on what it could be. I wouldnt go dumping $1,500 + dollars on a guess.

Theres a used injector module on ebay for $150 bucks http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-11-13-...NVY-DM&vxp=mtr

But before doing all this I would take off the mass airflow sensor and spray on a special cleaner you can find at any auto parts store. Because your first code is MAS related and a dirty sensor can cause the car to run rough or shut off completely.
Old 01-28-16, 02:28 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

P12FF - NO INJF signals of each cylinder to ECM 20 times successively (1 trip detection logic)
• Open or short in Injector driver (EDU) circuit
• Injector driver (EDU)
• Fuel injector for direct injection assembly
• ECM

That's a communication problem. Corrosion would cause that code to come on. Pretty sure the tech knows what he's talking about. I wouldn't go putting a new one in yet though.
Old 01-28-16, 05:06 PM
kayizm007
Driver School Candidate

@ibidu1 i will try cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor. @Othic, If you wouldn't go putting in a new one, and you think its a communication problem, what is your suggestion?
Old 01-30-16, 04:18 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Corrosion is going to block signals to/from the injector driver. He's just covering his *** incase. Most of us techs do that. More than likely corrosion wont get into the injector driver. I bet you'll be fine for quite a while if he cleaned it up well. I'm curious to how corrosion got into those connectors. I've never seen that before.
Old 01-30-16, 10:39 AM
kayizm007
Driver School Candidate

@Othic, thats the thing, I'm not fine. I'm still having the engine shut off issues, especially after I put it in reverse, then Drive, it shuts off. Also the lack of acceleration after a complete stop is still here.
Old 01-30-16, 02:05 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Ah, I was under the assumption that the issue was fixed with cleaning. If it is indeed the injector driver, Id call up and see if they have a used car on the lot that they can swap out with a known good unit just to verify that it is the injector driver. That would probably run an hour of labor and probably cost $150 or so. Or you could try your luck on Ebay and see if there's a used one. Its pretty easy to replace. Its on the driver side of the engine on the front. There's a plastic cover covering it. Take that off and there's 2 10mm nuts and 1 10mm bolt holding it on.
Old 01-30-16, 11:06 PM
kayizm007
Driver School Candidate

@Othic, Thanks for your response, thanks to all responses! That being said, I haven't done anything as of yet but, if you look at my first post, would you say that an injector driver could cause the issue I am having?
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (09-30-23)