GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Gs300 Right Side CV AXLE Stuck af

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 08:46 AM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 2006 Gs300 Right Side CV AXLE Stuck af

Hello,

I have a 206 Lexus GS300. I am trying to remove the right side CV Axle, but it has been a hard day for me. I have removed the spindle from the lower ball joint.

I have followed the instructions to the dot, removed the snap ring before the bearing, and have worked my butt of using a slide hammer. IT is just not budging. I warmed up the bearing side of the CV Axle, tried to chisel it from the transmission side of the joint, slide hammered it switching between a 10 and 20lber, between me and my 2 sons. I even tied a chain around the cv-axle second cylinder and used a slider on the chain It is just not budging.
I opened up the left hand side cv axle to see if i punch a rod into it to pop the right side out. Doesn't look like i have anything that small and stiff to use.

I am about at the end of what I can do, I can use any advice.

I appreciate your time and help.
Old 06-01-16, 12:31 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 785 Likes on 678 Posts

Try renting a cv axles puller, you bolt it to the wheel hub and the center bolt pushes the axle shaft out of the hub. Autozone you should be able to rent it free from there.

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog...int-Press1.jpg
Old 06-01-16, 01:56 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Try renting a cv axles puller, you bolt it to the wheel hub and the center bolt pushes the axle shaft out of the hub. Autozone you should be able to rent it free from there.

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog...int-Press1.jpg
Uhm, funny thing is that end half of the cv axle came out of the joint of the inner end of the cv axle.

I might try dropping the front differential to knock out the cvaxle end? Would that work?
Old 06-01-16, 02:04 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wmj259
Uhm, funny thing is that end half of the cv axle came out of the joint of the inner end of the cv axle.

I might try dropping the front differential to knock out the cvaxle end? Would that work?
So youre stuck at the differential side, You can grab a big long pry bar and pry under the cv axle that should free it up. I wouldnt remove the diff just yet.
Old 06-01-16, 02:10 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

You can also use a ball joint seperator wedge it inside and grab a small sledge hammer. Be gentle at first lol
Old 06-01-16, 04:14 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You can also use a ball joint seperator wedge it inside and grab a small sledge hammer. Be gentle at first lol
I've tried using a chisel (a wide one,basically like a 3 inch wide screwdriver tip) chisel. Doesn't budge, or not that I've noticed.
Old 06-01-16, 05:26 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

So what I ended up doing.
Dropped the frame a few inches. Had the engine help up by jackstands. Pulled the differential out. And hammered the daylight out of the cv-axle ended and it popped out in 3-4 hits. These things are just to vulnerable to rusting. After staring at the cv-axle bearing, it was rusted at the outside side. Will upload pics shortly.
Old 06-03-16, 06:09 PM
mojo08m
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity, are you trying to replace the axle or just trying to re-boot it? Or are you trying to take the axle out for a different reason? If you are just trying to re-boot it, you don't have to remove the whole axle. You can just cut the large metal clip from the inner boot and give the axle a good yank. Everything you need to re-boot it will come out with that. I wouldn't try to pry or bang it out unless it absolutely had to come out as a full assembly because having to replace an oil pan would be a huge pain in the *** without a lift and I'm sure it would be super expensive to have done at a dealer.
Old 06-03-16, 07:12 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mojo08m
Out of curiosity, are you trying to replace the axle or just trying to re-boot it? Or are you trying to take the axle out for a different reason? If you are just trying to re-boot it, you don't have to remove the whole axle. You can just cut the large metal clip from the inner boot and give the axle a good yank. Everything you need to re-boot it will come out with that. I wouldn't try to pry or bang it out unless it absolutely had to come out as a full assembly because having to replace an oil pan would be a huge pain in the *** without a lift and I'm sure it would be super expensive to have done at a dealer.
I had to take out the cv-axle as it was making noise when turning. Got the replacement cv-axle for 400 bucks. Lexus $tealership wanted 1060 for it.
Old 04-01-19, 09:32 PM
LexKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wmj259
So what I ended up doing.
Dropped the frame a few inches. Had the engine help up by jackstands. Pulled the differential out. And hammered the daylight out of the cv-axle ended and it popped out in 3-4 hits. These things are just to vulnerable to rusting. After staring at the cv-axle bearing, it was rusted at the outside side. Will upload pics shortly.
I know this is an old post but I'm having the same problem with my 2009 IS250. I cannot get the passenger side axle out. Was it hard to remove the front differential? Can you tell the steps you took to take the front differential out with the passenger side front axle still in there. I'm assuming that the IS and GS would have a similar set up.
Old 04-02-19, 03:39 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexKong
I know this is an old post but I'm having the same problem with my 2009 IS250. I cannot get the passenger side axle out. Was it hard to remove the front differential? Can you tell the steps you took to take the front differential out with the passenger side front axle still in there. I'm assuming that the IS and GS would have a similar set up.
The front diff is part of the transmission, the IS and GS are both similar! There are ways to remove it! One person built a jig (There are pics if you do a search on it) that craddles the old cv and with a big slide hammer it came out for him. Many take apart the old cv on the car, should give better access to build something to pry it out.